PDA

View Full Version : Tying Music to Emotion

augie00
05-13-2005, 03:41 AM
Earlier in this past school year I was going through a crappy time, and a certain album always made me feel good when I listened to it.

After I was through my crappy time, I basically quit listening to this album.

At the tail end of a session today, the album popped up on itunes. I realized that I was feeling the same bad emotions that I was feeling at the time that this album was theraputic.

It's almost like the music sucked up my bad emotions and made me feel better, and then spit them back out at me once I started feeling fine.

Weird.

(In case anybody is wondering, the album is "Escapology" by Robbie Williams

bernie
05-13-2005, 03:55 AM
Not weird at all.

That's why music is so awesome.

b

Yeti
05-13-2005, 04:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
(In case anybody is wondering, the album is "Escapology" by Robbie Williams)

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn, you had to go and spoil it, didn't you.

thatpfunk
05-13-2005, 04:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a joke, right?

augie00
05-13-2005, 04:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a joke, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? What does it matter what the album is? I was hoping this thread might inspire some discussion about music and how it relates to our emotions.

I'm not looking for criticism of my taste in music. But thanks.

InchoateHand
05-13-2005, 04:39 AM
What you describe is well documented--and not just for music. Its kind of a neat phenomenon, and quite useful. I play certain music to induce certain moods--practical moods, melancholic moods (really helps my road-rage), etc. Often the linkage isn't intrinsic to the music itself, but to the general state I was in when I first listened extensively to it.

Klepton
05-13-2005, 05:18 AM
a girl dumped me while listening to an alkaline trio song

i cried during that song

i can't listen to the song anymore

as one of the greatest days of my life ended i put on "every time i die - hot damn!" and listened to the whole album

they are still the greatest band ever

thatpfunk
05-13-2005, 05:38 AM
Sorry, I seriously thought you were joking, sorry.

I definetly listen to music very specific to my moods. However, occasionally I will listen to my melancholy music when I am in a good mood and it just makes me more happy I am in a great mood.

Rotating Rabbit
05-13-2005, 05:39 AM
I know exactly what you mean. Music is a very powerful anchor.

Supposedly, after my sister dumped him, her ex boyfriend (deliberately?) crashed his car after their favourite song came on on the radio. Crazy stuff.

SippinSoma
05-13-2005, 11:36 AM
Every time I bust out the old Lost Prophet's "Shinobi vs Dragon Ninja," I'm ready to tear a house down with my bare hands.

RacersEdge
05-13-2005, 11:49 AM
Interesting - I was always in minority on this topic - I like music, but just from an acoustic perspective, not an emotional one. If I want to be engaged by someone else's thoughts, I'd much rather read a book.

chaas4747
05-13-2005, 11:56 AM
I can relate to this. I think that is why art is great, you attach abstract feelings to concrete things. I grew up in rural America, so country music songs bring out a lot of feeling for me. Flame away fuckers.

RacersEdge
05-13-2005, 12:10 PM
"Life ain't nothing but a funny funny riddle..."

purnell
05-13-2005, 01:21 PM
I am a musician (of sorts), and I have always held that the purpose of music is to communicate on a purely emotional level. I'm glad you noticed.

chaas4747
05-13-2005, 01:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Life ain't nothing but a funny funny riddle..."

[/ QUOTE ]

"That John Denver guy is full of [censored]"