PDA

View Full Version : Intro horseracing to 9 yr old niece (long)

bernie
05-13-2005, 03:25 AM
This happened last saturday. Just a fun story I thought I'd share.

So today was the day my brother and me get to take our niece(9 yrs old) to the horseraces. Upon arrival she let’s me know that her mom told her she may hear some bad language there. She asks me why some have to use that language. I smile and tell her it’s all in the context you use it in. Along with who you use it in front of. She seems stoked. All the while my other niece (7yrs old) is relentless in asking when it’s her turn. Once I escape her clutches we are able to be on our way.

We arrive and see it’s already kind of a new world to her. She’s not sure what she’s in for. Though she does notice that fresh horseshit smell. We tell her she’ll get used to it. We show her by taking a deep breath and acting like it’s heaven. She isn’t buying it at all. Once we get in, I make a deal with her that while I’m betting, any horse that comes in and pays, she gets ½. She digs this idea. We end up losing the first 4 races. Not just losing, dead effing last every race.

Now she’s kind of sensitive about animals. She overheard me calling a horse a piece of crap. She reprimanded me letting me know that horses have feelings too. My brother got a kick out of this. I told her she’ll understand soon why I’m saying that. I assure her it’s nothing personal between the horse and me.

We’re hungry so I look for food. I find a sandwich. It’s one of the best sandwiches I’ve ever had. It’s a panini. They call it a Tuscanny. Proscuito ham with pepperoni (I think another meat also), provolone cheese, sliced tomato, Italian mayo or mustard sprayed with garlic sauce then heated. All in between some Italian bread. Overpriced? Yep. After splitting one with her, I went and got another one. My goal is to find out the ingredients and make it at home.

So she really likes that and munches away. We tell her some stories about some of the history in our family regarding horses. There is a little history in our family regarding horses. Our great grandfather used to race the trotters and pacers. So we told her some stories that were related to us by our grandpa.

We take her to the paddock to watch the horses close up. She digs this. She likes how the horses are looking at her. Points out the ones that are drooling. Giggles and snickers a little when she sees one take a crap right in front of us. It was kind of like a parade to her.

We lose a couple more races and she’s thinking of ice cream. Cool. I get her a big waffle cone. At one point I ask her who taught her how to eat a cone as she has munched the bottom out of it. So now it’s dripping no matter which way she holds it. I keep razzing her about that, sometimes saying out loud, “Who’s kid is this that can’t eat a cone right!?!” It’s all over her pants in droplets.

We’ve been letting her hold our tickets while the race goes. After awhile she notices people throwing them on the ground. She was taught not to litter. We assure her it’s ok and someone is paid to clean it up. It’s expected. So I take a ticket and show her how to toss it. She ends up tossing her ticket to the ground saying, imitatingly, to the ticket, “crap!!!” We tell her she’s getting good at that. We also tell her not to do that at home in front of her mom. It’s a little different there. She nods in agreement.

We go up to the clubhouse to meet a friend. While we wait for him to show up, we look out the window overlooking the paddock and watch the horses go around again. She likes this view. As I’m about to go place a bet, she holds out $2 and asks me to put it on a horse. I ask her if she’s really sure, she says yes. I ask her if she understands that if she loses it doesn’t come back. She tells me nervously to hurry and place the bet. Her horse comes in the middle of the pack. Closest so far. Now she is really looking at the horses.

Friend shows and treats her like a little princess. Kissing her hand and telling her how beautiful she is in his Italian way. She has a horse picked so we run it for her. The friend slips her $6 and tells her to put 2 across on any horse she likes. She’s really nervous now. We assure her it’s ok, pick one. We tell her about coupled horses and how you get 2 horses for 1price. She takes it.

The horse wires it. Everyone in that group was yelling and she was kind of wondering why. (She was still in censory overload and hadn’t yet caught on to everything) We told her we were yelling for her horse to come in and it did. She thought that was pretty cool. Her initial bet she bet to place (2nd). It missed narrowly and came in 3rd. It would’ve paid pretty nice.

We decide to leave. Friend gives her a princess’ good-bye. On the way out we cash her ticket which she’s grinning waiting for her payout. It’s extra special for her since she’s the only one that made money of us 3. She’s on her tip toes walking out.

Upon arriving to her house, my other brother is in the driveway yapping with my sis. I get out and tell him with a smile, ‘well, we got her gambling with her own money and swearing at her horses. All we need now is her to smoke or drink and we got her covered.” He laughs and mentions it’d be funny if she came out with a ciggy in her mouth, a racing form under her arm and a lowball glass of apple juice on the rocks.

She can’t wait to tell her mom, and everyone else how she won and how pretty all the horses were. All the while the 7 year old picks up where she left off. Using me as a jungle jim.

b

kenberman
05-13-2005, 07:25 AM
are you serious?

AnyAce
05-13-2005, 09:05 AM
Nice post. Sounds like a blast. Soon her friends will call her to ask her to come over to play dolls and she'll say "Dolls? Forget dolls, lets go to the track, I gotta a hot tip in the 5th!"

After dropping some cash betting on Bellamy Road I told my Dad the only way I would have hit the Derby was if he had named me "Giacomo"...

AA

Phat Mack
05-13-2005, 12:14 PM
Wonderful story. Wish I had been there.

J_V
05-13-2005, 12:16 PM
Great story.

jackdaniels
05-13-2005, 12:49 PM
Excellent story.

The first time my dad took me to the track I was about the same age. I won the first (and only) bet I placed, and used the money for McDonalds. That was the best damn burger I ever had.

Money won is sweet!

BottlesOf
05-13-2005, 01:13 PM
I really enjoyed this.

MaxPower
05-13-2005, 02:21 PM
This is what uncles are for.

bernie
05-13-2005, 03:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is what uncles are for.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's right. Sometimes people will ask me if I want kids of my own. I say no. I want to be able to spoil them and give them back.

b

chiachu
05-13-2005, 06:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
We also tell her not to do that at home in front of her mom. It’s a little different there. She nods in agreement.

[/ QUOTE ]

i laughed out loud there /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nice story

TripleH68
05-13-2005, 07:11 PM
Very nice post. Next time you can educate the young lass on insulting the jockey or driver when he is on his way back to the paddock.

At any point did you let her know what it means to 'stiff' a horse?

Have you seen the movie 'Let it Ride?'

-Hot Horse Howard

jakethebake
05-13-2005, 08:17 PM
they have the "junior jockey club" here. i signed my 3 year old up last week. i can't wait to take him to the races. i bet he'll have a blast.

bernie
05-13-2005, 09:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you'stiff' a horse? I haven't heard that one.

I haven't seen Let it ride yet.

b

bernie
05-13-2005, 09:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
they have the "junior jockey club" here. i signed my 3 year old up last week. i can't wait to take him to the races. i bet he'll have a blast.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do they get to do for joining it?

b

bernie
05-13-2005, 09:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
We also tell her not to do that at home in front of her mom. It’s a little different there. She nods in agreement.

[/ QUOTE ]

i laughed out loud there /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nice story

[/ QUOTE ]

Different rules when she's out with her uncles. /images/graemlins/grin.gif We get to show her how to get away with stuff.

b

lefty rosen
05-13-2005, 10:16 PM
Please for the love of god get your kids or niece banned from the track. If there is a place where dreams are smashed its the track. I can't believe the hold that place has on people. Some people can grow up around the track and lay bets once in a while. While others are pathological gamblers to be..... /images/graemlins/confused.gif

youtalkfunny
05-13-2005, 11:53 PM
My older daughter is 8, so I enjoyed this post.

Nine years ago, I would've thought it a horrible waste of my reading time. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cyrus
05-14-2005, 06:52 PM
You realize that this thread is now picked up by the FBI internet snooper bots because of your title.

jakethebake
05-14-2005, 07:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What do they get to do for joining it? b

[/ QUOTE ]

Different stuuf on different days. Pony rides, tours of the paddock, different educational programs, a reading club, picnics, birthday parties...stuff like that. I think there's some deal where the kids get to dress up in silks for pictures too.

Eihli
05-14-2005, 09:17 PM
Seriously? Source?

Steve Giufre
05-14-2005, 11:53 PM
Nice story. Now when she is thirty and you run into her at Saratoga riding an imaginary jockey screaming "come on four!" you'll have a good idea who to blame. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

bernie
05-15-2005, 05:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Nice story. Now when she is thirty and you run into her at Saratoga riding an imaginary jockey screaming "come on four!" you'll have a good idea who to blame. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd blame my brother, of course. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

b

TripleH68
05-16-2005, 09:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you'stiff' a horse? I haven't heard that one.

I haven't seen Let it ride yet.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

A driver or jockey 'stiffs' a horse when he loses on purpose. This is usually to set the horse up for a winning ride at longer odds in a future race and is, of course, shady.

Let it Ride (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097731/)