PDA

View Full Version : Top Ten "Artsy" Movies

John Cole
11-30-2002, 03:02 PM
As promised, as threatened, here's a top ten so-called "artsy" list (although I really don't make the distinction, but I know such a distinction exists). These are not necessarily my "favorite" movies, but they have stayed with me for a long time.

In no particular order.

Andrei Rublev --Tarkovsky's potrait of a Russian Icon painter is extremely slow-moving, but it seems to capture the age.

Night and Fog --Alain Resnais's haunting documentary. You will never forget this one.

The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser --Herzog at his best, which is always very good.

The Passion of Joan of Arc --Dreyer's study of the saint is one of the last great silent movies.

Days of Heaven --Malick's early film barely edges out The Thin Red Line

Cries and Whispers --started watching Bergman movies when I was about fifteen; this, I think, is his most chilling and raw.

My Dinner With Andre --(squeaks by Vanya on 42nd Street)stars my favorite actor, Wallace Shawn, and reminds us that talking together is one of our most essential ways of being together.

Ugetsu --sublime Japanese ghost story

The Seven Samurai --Kurosawa's best--and his most well known. Saw the restored print a few years ago, and although I had seen it a number of times, it kept me on the edge of my seat.

M. Hulot's Holiday --Jacques Tati's comedy literally caused me to fall into the aisle. I challenge anyone to watch the tennis scene and fail to laugh.

Okay, I need to put in one experimental film, so I'll go with Stan Brakhage's Dog Star Man over Deren's Meshes of the Afternoon and Anger's Magic Lantern Cycle. (I know I cheated here and got in three anyway.)

John

whiskeytown
11-30-2002, 09:43 PM
To this list I would add the following...

1. The Emperor and the Assassin
2. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

Two Mainstream Chinese films which are just beautiful (and subtitled)

3. Chelsea Walls

Just out on DVD, it's basically a day in the hotel...not a defined plot per se, but a very beautiful and illuminating movie...(critics hate it) - really a man vs. Self movie.

RB