PDA

View Full Version : 12 Reasons Same Sex Marriage Will Ruin Society.

Talk2BigSteve
05-13-2005, 02:08 AM
Homosexuality is not natural, much like eyeglasses, polyester, and birth control are not natural.

Heterosexual marriages are valid because they produce children. Infertile couples and old people cannot get legally married because the world needs more children.

Obviously gay parents will raise gay children because straight parents only raise straight children.

Straight marriage will be less meaningful, since Britney Spears's 55-hour just-for-fun marriage was meaningful.

Heterosexual marriage has been around for a long time, and it hasn't changed at all: women are property, Blacks can't marry Whites, and divorce is illegal.

Gay marriage should be decided by the people, not the courts, because the majority-elected legislatures, not courts, have historically protected the rights of minorities.

Gay marriage is not supported by religion. In a theocracy like ours, the values of one religion are always imposed on the entire country. That's why we only have one religion in America.

Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that hanging around tall people makes you tall.

Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behavior. People may even wish to marry their pets because a dog has legal standing and can sign a marriage license with a paw print.

Children can never succeed without both male and female role models at home. That's why single parents are forbidden to raise children.

Gay marriage will change the foundation of society. Heterosexual marriage has been around for a long time, and we could never adapt to new social norms because we haven't adapted to cars or longer lifespans.

Civil unions, providing most of the same benefits as marriage with a different name are better, because a "separate but equal" institution is always constitutional. Separate schools for African-Americans worked just as well as separate marriages will for gays & lesbians.

Big Steve /images/graemlins/cool.gif

YourFoxyGrandma
05-13-2005, 02:11 AM
Nice, but politics forum.

Talk2BigSteve
05-13-2005, 02:13 AM
I put it there too.

For those who don't get it, it is a joke, or more appropriately an Irony.

KDawgCometh
05-13-2005, 02:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I put it there too.

For those who don't get it, it is a joke, or more appropriately an Irony.

[/ QUOTE ]

don't you mean Jopke

MasterShakes
05-13-2005, 02:18 AM
A+

Talk2BigSteve
05-13-2005, 02:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A+

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the Grade...I try..I am not a total Heterophobe.

daryn
05-13-2005, 02:21 AM
why can't you just be a normal guy, who is gay. everything you post about is gay gay gay

same goes for jewish, black.. whatever. as soon as it becomes what you are "all about" it is annoying.

jewish is a good example. i have nothing against jewish people in the least. but if i'm around a guy who is talking about how he is jewish every second, it gets really annoying.

Dead
05-13-2005, 02:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
jewish is a good example. i have nothing against jewish people in the least. but if i'm around a guy who is talking about how he is jewish every second, it gets really annoying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like Gamblor? For example, I am Jewish, but I try not to bring it up because it doesn't really matter to me.

Gamblor, on the other hand, brings it up in half the threads he participates in. I'm sure that 90% of the people on here know that he is Jewish.

I only bring my religion up in threads where it is relevant.

Talk2BigSteve
05-13-2005, 02:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
why can't you just be a normal guy, who is gay. everything you post about is gay gay gay

same goes for jewish, black.. whatever. as soon as it becomes what you are "all about" it is annoying.

[/ QUOTE ]

The George Carlin Post was not gay.
The Moulin Huge Post was not gay.
The last video I posted was not gay.

I mix it up some.

For Daryn's benifit I will now put {No Gay Content} in the subject line so he knows which of my posts to read. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

TheIrishThug
05-13-2005, 02:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
as soon as it becomes what you are "all about" it is annoying.

[/ QUOTE ]

very true. when ellen came out, she was GAY ellen for like a yr and she fell out of the limelight. now that she's back to just being ellen, she's back.

IggyWH
05-13-2005, 02:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
For example, I am Jewish

[/ QUOTE ]

This explains everything now...

2+2 wannabe
05-13-2005, 03:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
why can't you just be a normal guy, who is gay. everything you post about is gay gay gay.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm sure that, being a gay man, this particular aspect of society is quite important to him.

personally i think it's refreshing to see that individuals (like steve) have informed politically-charged beliefs - and are dedicated enough to make those beliefs a large part of their lives.

if everyone were all just "normal", nothing would ever change.

SackUp
05-13-2005, 04:09 AM
Interesting responses, though I feel you were very incomplete and far too brief with many of them.

You responded to trivial one line remarks with equally trivial one line remarks. You answered rhetoric with some failed attempts at clever responses. I don't see how that really makes your side any better. I actually thinks it shows how retarded both sides are when they try to attack a blanket statement as opposed to really delving into the inner workings and the background of the entire belief or statement.

Granted, I know you were trying to be quick and witty with these responses, but I feel saying nothing at all is better then responding with equally ridiculous statements.

Anyone who said this was great should try to not just follow rhetoric and try to actually mount some substance.

SackUp
05-13-2005, 04:17 AM
And further, instead of merely trying to refute why same sex marriage will ruin society with these little one liners, why not expound upon why same-sex marriage will benefit society.

You didn't really add much in that regard at all. Just b/c something won't ruin society doesn't mean we should automatically accept it either. Typically you want to add things that are beneficial. If it doesn't really add to society at all then it is basically like the retards who clog up OOT with stupid polls and topics - though I guess those do hurt the forum and don't just merely keep the status quo or improve.

There are my ramblings before bed and another 14 hour session at the library.

MrFeelNothin
05-13-2005, 04:17 AM
*whoooosh* right over SackUps head.

oreogod
05-13-2005, 04:20 AM
Spiderman will make u gay (http://www2.b3ta.com/spidermanwillmakeyougay/)

or theres always this:
http://www.kontrabandcontent.co.uk/1/graphics/pics/spiderman_comic_hero.jpg

SackUp
05-13-2005, 04:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
*whoooosh* right over SackUps head.

[/ QUOTE ]

yup, clearly over my head. I didn't get it at all that he was trying to mock the 12 statements of rhetoric that denouncers of same-sex marriage often use by adding some quick quibs to the end of each of them.

Nope, didn't get that at all.

I just didn't think it was very effective at all and his mockery was a reflection of the general pattern this issue is attacked - one stupid one liner attacking another.

I guess I would give the same response to you MrFeelNothin. Instead of trying to give some one line statement to be funny about how I didn't understand what Steve was talking about, how about you give some insight.

It looks like you don't know what he was talking about.

Do you see why?

InchoateHand
05-13-2005, 04:36 AM
Do they issue senses of humor where you live? The appropriate response to something ostensibly humorous, that you don't find funny, is to not laugh.

Matty
05-13-2005, 05:11 AM
Hey Sackup, look at your avatar.

NLSoldier
05-13-2005, 05:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

DARYN IS RIGHT!!! WOOT

thatpfunk
05-13-2005, 05:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]

And further, instead of merely trying to refute why same sex marriage will ruin society with these little one liners, why not expound upon why same-sex marriage will benefit society.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? You don't have to. Slavery was working great for society, that doesn't mean it was right. It is a question of equality, not benefits.

Pocket Trips
05-13-2005, 05:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just b/c something won't ruin society doesn't mean we should automatically accept it either

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah why should we just GIVE something like equal rights for all to gay people??? We should make them prove they are worthwhile individuals who contribute something to society before we just give away something like that

peachy
05-13-2005, 08:55 AM
there is no reasons y they would harm anything /images/graemlins/frown.gif

jackdaniels
05-13-2005, 09:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
And further, instead of merely trying to refute why same sex marriage will ruin society with these little one liners, why not expound upon why same-sex marriage will benefit society .

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the core problem with your statement and the statements of others who are opposed to same sex marriage. This is not an issue for society at large, it is a private choice between 2 individuals. The only reason there needs to be any discussion on the subject at all is that there are certain benefits confered by government to married couples of opposite sex that could be confered upon married couples of the same sex.

I am all in favour of allowing same sex marriage or "civil unions" (BigSteve, do you really care what they call it???) - so long as as the benefits confered to both are equal. In fact, I'd be happy to re-name my "marriage" to a "civil union" (opposite sex btw) - if that would make gay couples more likely to accept civil unions.

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other word would smell as sweet."

usmfan
05-13-2005, 11:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
For example, I am Jewish, but I try not to bring it up because it doesn't really matter to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

But, dude. Your people killed Jesus. I wouldn't tell anybody either.

SPOILER:
<font color="white"> People. Get new batteries for your sarcasm detector. </font>

SackUp
05-13-2005, 12:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey Sackup, look at your avatar.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh.

It was late last night after a long stint at the library. I should have caught myself though.

Talk2BigSteve
05-13-2005, 03:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
why can't you just be a normal guy, who is gay. everything you post about is gay gay gay.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm sure that, being a gay man, this particular aspect of society is quite important to him.

personally i think it's refreshing to see that individuals (like steve) have informed politically-charged beliefs - and are dedicated enough to make those beliefs a large part of their lives.

[/ QUOTE ]

If everyone of us woke up tomorrow "Normal" we would find something to bitch and moan about before noon.

And for the record can someone please tell me a working definition of NORMAL???

Talk2BigSteve
05-13-2005, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yeah why should we just GIVE something like equal rights for all to gay people???

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I see your point....

If gays and lesbians are given equal rights, then EVERYONE will want them!

Talk2BigSteve
05-13-2005, 03:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am all in favour of allowing same sex marriage or "civil unions" (BigSteve, do you really care what they call it???) - so long as as the benefits confered to both are equal. In fact, I'd be happy to re-name my "marriage" to a "civil union" (opposite sex btw) - if that would make gay couples more likely to accept civil unions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually yes I do care, Calling it a civil union and giving gays the same benifits, smells like the issue of Seperate but Equal and I personally will not stand for being reduced to some type of Second Class Citizen in the United States. Hell I was born in Washington, D.C. can't get much better of a citizenship than that. But that is just my opinion FWIW.

Duke
05-13-2005, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If everyone of us woke up tomorrow "Normal" we would find something to bitch and moan about before noon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Normal is what everyone else is, for everyone.

~D

Talk2BigSteve
05-13-2005, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks that helped me a bunch LOL

jackdaniels
05-13-2005, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
smells like the issue of Seperate but Equal and I personally will not stand for being reduced to some type of Second Class Citizen in the United States

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes no sense.

FWIW - I don't understand those who agree to civil unions granting all the benefits of marriage (except they can't be called a "marriage") and I don't understand the penchant of the LGBT community to insist on the word "marriage".

The nature of the battle gets skewed to "accept me for who I am - because I NEED your approval" instead of "I am an equal human being and it is within my rights to chose who I want to spend the rest of my life with".

Again, just my opinion, but I think both sides are fighting this battle for the right to brag about their "victory" over their "opponent" rather than trying to achieve something meaningfull.

thatpfunk
05-13-2005, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Big Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually like this answer a lot. Is this you Duke, or should I not be so quick to praise your brilliance?

Peca277
05-13-2005, 04:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Actually yes I do care, Calling it a civil union and giving gays the same benifits, smells like the issue of Seperate but Equal and I personally will not stand for being reduced to some type of Second Class Citizen in the United States. Hell I was born in Washington, D.C. can't get much better of a citizenship than that. But that is just my opinion FWIW.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you were born in DC then you should completely understand the 2nd class citizenship. DC residents are 2nd class citizens, having the right to vote for president, but not having voting representation in either the House or Senate. Get used to it! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I am actually very saddened because my adopted state of Virginia is probably 1 1/2 years away from passing a marriage constitutional amendment. Keep fighting the good fight, especially with Daryn. He's a cynical person who always posts cynical responses... why should a gay person not always post gay responses?!

Jack of Arcades
05-13-2005, 04:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you mean like Dead?

meep_42
05-13-2005, 04:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hell I was born in Washington, D.C. can't get much better of a citizenship than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure it does. You could actually have a representative that can vote in Congress.

-d

Jazza
05-13-2005, 04:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this totally shts me too, that's why i love australia so much, everyone here is not like that

Phoenix1010
05-13-2005, 04:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Interesting responses, though I feel you were very incomplete and far too brief with many of them.

You responded to trivial one line remarks with equally trivial one line remarks. You answered rhetoric with some failed attempts at clever responses. I don't see how that really makes your side any better. I actually thinks it shows how retarded both sides are when they try to attack a blanket statement as opposed to really delving into the inner workings and the background of the entire belief or statement.

Granted, I know you were trying to be quick and witty with these responses, but I feel saying nothing at all is better then responding with equally ridiculous statements.

Anyone who said this was great should try to not just follow rhetoric and try to actually mount some substance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Big Steve was just making a joke; I don't think anyone thinks the issue can be answered so easily. If you want an in depth look into the arguments surrounding the issue, you should check this out: Gay Marriage: The Arguments and the Motives (http://www.bidstrup.com/marriage.htm)

It's an essay I found when I was working on the campaign fighting against the proposed constitutional ammendment banning gay marriage about a year ago. I haven't read it since then, but I thought it was pretty good when I first read it.

-Phoenix

SackUp
05-13-2005, 05:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And further, instead of merely trying to refute why same sex marriage will ruin society with these little one liners, why not expound upon why same-sex marriage will benefit society .

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the core problem with your statement and the statements of others who are opposed to same sex marriage. This is not an issue for society at large, it is a private choice between 2 individuals. The only reason there needs to be any discussion on the subject at all is that there are certain benefits confered by government to married couples of opposite sex that could be confered upon married couples of the same sex.

[/ QUOTE ]

How does my statement about expounding upon the benefits it will have on society conflict with what you were saying?

I never said you need to justify it to everyone as it is a choice b/w two individuals. However, as you said, allowing gays to marry does confer upon them certain governmental benefits.

Once people start getting money from the government based on some classification it then most certaintly becomes a public issue which does need to be supported by some beneficial need. Just as an other tax break, social security or welfare program requires.

There is a large difference b/w allowing gay couples to marry and not confer upon them the privileges thereof and allowing them to marry with all of the privileges. In the latter society is affected and it is a public issue.

Further, I do believe there are more than just monetary reasons why this is and should be a public issue. There are many people who legitimately believe gay marriage is wrong and should not be recognized. We have many laws that have nothing to do with money, but it is what the moral fabric of our society requires - murder, rape, incest, fraud, etc. And no I'm not saying gay marriage is anything like those things directly, they are just examples of things that society chooses not to accept b/c they believe they are deterimental to society. And there are way more people (voters) at least that do not think gay marriage will be beneficial for society for one reason or another. Look at the results from all the ballots in 04.

Just b/c it is a choice b/w two people does not mean it no longer has a societal impact.

Ok this should all be in the politics forum and I'm spending way too much procrastinating from studying on this.

Phoenix1010
05-13-2005, 05:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How does my statement about expounding upon the benefits it will have on society conflict with what you were saying?

I never said you need to justify it to everyone as it is a choice b/w two individuals. However, as you said, allowing gays to marry does confer upon them certain governmental benefits.

Once people start getting money from the government based on some classification it then most certaintly becomes a public issue which does need to be supported by some beneficial need. Just as an other tax break, social security or welfare program requires.

There is a large difference b/w allowing gay couples to marry and not confer upon them the privileges thereof and allowing them to marry with all of the privileges. In the latter society is affected and it is a public issue.

Further, I do believe there are more than just monetary reasons why this is and should be a public issue. There are many people who legitimately believe gay marriage is wrong and should not be recognized. We have many laws that have nothing to do with money, but it is what the moral fabric of our society requires - murder, rape, incest, fraud, etc. And no I'm not saying gay marriage is anything like those things directly, they are just examples of things that society chooses not to accept b/c they believe they are deterimental to society. And there are way more people (voters) at least that do not think gay marriage will be beneficial for society for one reason or another. Look at the results from all the ballots in 04.

Just b/c it is a choice b/w two people does not mean it no longer has a societal impact.

Ok this should all be in the politics forum and I'm spending way too much procrastinating from studying on this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Take this to the politics forum, so that I can more comfortably explain to you how and why everything you just said is absurd beyond comprehension.

stabn
05-13-2005, 05:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks that helped me a bunch LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

Mr slave is normal, mr garrison is not.

Dead
05-13-2005, 05:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you mean like Dead?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're the one who said too bad I wasn't.

Jack of Arcades
05-13-2005, 05:36 PM
Ah, don't worry Dead, I'm just messin' with ya.

You were just the first one that came to mind because that big ol' Yankees avatar was right below daryn's post.

Dead
05-13-2005, 05:38 PM
Yankees will go at least 5-1 on this West Coast swing.

They will be in second place in the AL East by mid June.

Jack of Arcades
05-13-2005, 05:42 PM
hey man, stick to the topic, about homosexuality. start talking about derek jeter.

/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Dead
05-13-2005, 05:44 PM
Come on, man. You know that Mike Mussina is my favorite Yankee.

Anyway, back to the thread topic.

Mike Mussina has such dreamy eyes.

http://www.ultimateyankees.com/Mike_in_Suit.jpg

http://img209.echo.cx/img209/5655/youtalkintome1oe.jpg

SippinSoma
05-13-2005, 05:59 PM
This chain letter pisses more people off than it entertains. {Gay Content} would be halarious.

Gamblor
05-15-2005, 05:40 PM
you're clearly a moron, as everyone knows im jewish/israeli not because i mention it, but because 50% of my posts are in threads where people bash israel and jews.

funny thing is, in real life im so used to hearing this crap that i don't bother arguing it anymore. only here i get involved.

btw, if i had to guess, 40% are poker posts, and 10% are other "OOT" stuff.

Gamblor
05-15-2005, 05:41 PM
excellent spoiler.