PDA

View Full Version : Too slow with top set?

betgo
05-13-2005, 02:08 AM
$10 rebuy on Paradise. 2nd hand after rebuy period, blinds 100/200. I have T4900, villain has me covered. Two limpers to me in SB. I raise to 900 with QQ. Flop comes Q96 all of one suit. I bet 600. Villain calls. Turn is an 8. I bet 1400, villain pushes, I call. Villain has T7s (not the suit of flop) for straight and the board didn't pair.

I kind of gave villain odds to draw to the inside straight. Obviously, villain could have had a heart, which would give him a draw, although I had redraws. Although T7 seems unlikely, villain could have JT or 87, which would be worse. It was probably more likely villain missed the flop or had a pair or something and was drawing dead. I made the weak bet to get money in while trying to make it look like I was scared of the flop to try to induce a bluff raise. Since villain called 1/7 of his chips with T7s, he might have called a bigger bet. I was trying to induce action from a loose/aggressive rebuy player, but it didn't work out as planned. I think I should have bet more on the flop.

flytrap
05-13-2005, 02:15 AM
The flop is very dangerous, so I'd push. You have T4000 left and the pot has more than T2000. Ideally you wouldn't be this much, but since a reasonable bet here would more than commit you, just go all-in.

CardSharpCook
05-13-2005, 02:21 AM
To be honest, I revert back to your NL strategy post. Bet an amount that makes it slightly unreasonable to call with a high heart draw - an AI over top will get the result you are looking for AND I think it is more likely if you bet a little more. This is a hand that they love now, and seeing you trying to bet them out of seeing their flush fall is going to make them mad. OTOH, if you aren't playing fish, a bigger bet is still correct. You don't want to give pot odds for hitting the flush on the turn.

Like you, I love to slow play a monster like this, but you must change your plan when the board is this ugly.

CSC

betgo
05-13-2005, 02:23 AM
I think I definately should have made atleast a standard bet, but I am not crazy about pushing. If my opponent makes a flush or straight, I still have chances. If my opponent has flopped a flush, my push will be called. However, a push would cause a lot of hands to fold where I am way ahead. I am thinking it would have been best to just play in a standard way and bet 2/3 pot to pot and then push on the turn.

CardSharpCook
05-13-2005, 02:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The flop is very dangerous, so I'd push. You have T4000 left and the pot has more than T2000. Ideally you wouldn't be this much, but since a reasonable bet here would more than commit you, just go all-in.

[/ QUOTE ]

The stack sizes do make this a little tricker, but since we want a call/push, a smaller bet is in order. T1600 seems about right.

CSC

Jason Strasser
05-13-2005, 04:46 AM
Here is some earth shattering advice in response to your newbiesh line of raising 900 preflop flopping top set and betting 600 on the flop.

BET WHAT YOU NORMALLY BET ON FLOPS. Somewhere around 3/4 pot? Why on earth would you want your opponent thinking "hmm this is a suspicious, abnormal bet".

If your normal bet is to bet 1/20000th of the pot then read a poker book.

Learn about Shania. She is very mad here.

-Jason

PrayingMantis
05-13-2005, 05:01 AM
Betting on the flop LESS than what you have bet PF, is looking for trouble on such a board (and on many other boards, with whatever hands you have). You show a lot of power PF, then pretend you are "weak". Surely you want villain to raise you, but this is so very obvious, villain will only call now with hands he might have pushed against you had you made a normal flop bet. And of course, the problem is you give him great price to call.

BTW, are you doing this SB raise against limpers with hands that are no monsters?

flytrap
05-13-2005, 07:48 AM
Losing to a flush would certainly suck, but are you really going to be able to get off the hand if the flush hits? I mean, say you bet t1600 or so, and the flush hits, are you checking and folding?

betgo
05-13-2005, 10:30 AM
I had no intention of folding this hand. I was trying to get the money in with my set and boat draw. I didn't figure it would be easy to get anyone with a decent heart (board was 3 hearts) to fold either. I didn't see how straight draw rich the choppy looking Q96 board was. I now think a normal size flop bet was correct.