PDA

View Full Version : Barry Bonds

ripdog
05-13-2005, 02:00 AM
I hope he never plays another game. After that interview where he used his kid to try to drum up sympathy, I really don't want to see him break Aaron's HR record. Plus it irritates me to see all of that body armour on him when he's at the plate. Body armour should get the boot along with steroids--they're both cheating as far as I'm concerned.

blindu
05-13-2005, 02:14 AM
bonds will come back late this year and break the babe's record. he wont break aarons

Jack of Arcades
05-13-2005, 02:40 AM
Bonds will come back and kick ass just out of spite, really.

PS: Ban Whitey Ford, that no good cheater.

FishNChips
05-13-2005, 03:09 PM
Is a helmet part of your "body armor" list?

I don't care that they wear the body armor to protect themselves, its that if a pitcher misses 3inches inside they stare down like you just called their mother a whore AND MLB doesn't do anything about this. Baseball wants offense. You get more offense when pitchers don't pitch inside and hitters aren't afraid to dive over the plate because they know that pitchers aren't going to throw inside.

Oh, and to keep this from being a total threadjacking :
I hate Barry Bonds too!

FishNChips

chaas4747
05-13-2005, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is a helmet part of your "body armor" list?

I don't care that they wear the body armor to protect themselves, its that if a pitcher misses 3inches inside they stare down like you just called their mother a whore AND MLB doesn't do anything about this. Baseball wants offense. You get more offense when pitchers don't pitch inside and hitters aren't afraid to dive over the plate because they know that pitchers aren't going to throw inside.

Oh, and to keep this from being a total threadjacking :
I hate Barry Bonds too!

[/ QUOTE ]
This is the whole argument against the armor like Bonds wears. He is taking away the inside of the plate, because he does not have to worry about getting plunked. I say take it all away unless they have an injury. If you want to crowd the plate, then you run the risk of getting hit.

OldYoda
05-13-2005, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bonds will come back and kick ass just out of spite, really.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stick a fork in him - Bonds will never have another at bat in the bigs.

FishNChips
05-13-2005, 03:32 PM
Warning... ThreadJack in Progress...

If you want to give the pitchers the inside of the plate back then they need to suspend guys that charge the mound. You get hit, you go to first base, do not pass go, do not collect $200. Plunking hitters is part of the game. You think that Gibson or Feller or Drysdale would have put up with Bonds antics (or Sosa's or Big Macs for that matter). No way. Hit a homer off one of those guys, run the bases quickly and be humble or face the consequences. MLB now gives "warnings" and throws pitchers out of games when they hit someone. But charge the mound after getting hit by a pitch (even if its in a situation where clearly the last thing in the world the pitcher wanted to do was put another runner on base) and nothing happens.
Its not the body armor, its the league rules. If you want to hit a guy you're not aiming for his forearm anyhow, you should be looking to plunk him between the shoulder blades, that hurts like a biyatch but does not damage (small of the back works too, but less sting).

FishNChips

ps... I still hate Barry

Stupendous_Man
05-13-2005, 03:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you want to crowd the plate, then you run the risk of getting hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is how it should be!

theredpill5
05-13-2005, 04:26 PM
I got his topps rookie card. I hope it breaks Aaron's record.

chaas4747
05-13-2005, 04:29 PM
I started that jack sorry to the OP. Well put Fish.

jakethebake
05-13-2005, 04:32 PM
Wasn't that interview weeks ago? Wtf?

touchfaith
05-13-2005, 04:51 PM
Well, I'm not the biggest Barry fan in the world either (as a person), but the arguements against the "body-armor" are lame.

Do you really think someone Barry's size that has played ball all his life is really worried about getting plunked in the forearm??

It's elbow protection.

Getting hit in the elbow, much like the head, can end your career....fast. Why not protect your elbow like you do your head? Pretty basic stuff.

Frankly, I wish that pitchers would hit people more often. I could careless if they charge the mound and start a fight or not. That's baseball.

But that doesn't mean people shouldn't be able to protect areas that when hit, could easily be career ending...

Should they ban cups too?

chaas4747
05-13-2005, 04:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, I'm not the biggest Barry fan in the world either (as a person), but the arguements against the "body-armor" are lame.

Do you really think someone Barry's size that has played ball all his life is really worried about getting plunked in the forearm??

It's elbow protection.

Getting hit in the elbow, much like the head, can end your career....fast. Why not protect your elbow like you do your head? Pretty basic stuff.

Frankly, I wish that pitchers would hit people more often. I could careless if they charge the mound and start a fight or not. That's baseball.

But that doesn't mean people shouldn't be able to protect areas that when hit, could easily be career ending...

Should they ban cups too?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why was he not worried about this 10 years ago? People threw at people a ton more back then.

touchfaith
05-13-2005, 04:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why was he not worried about this 10 years ago? People threw at people a ton more back then.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell if I know....maybe the elbow protection they had back then wasn't comfortable to him...who knows...who cares...

Does that mean he shouldn't be able to protect it now?

chaas4747
05-13-2005, 05:03 PM
I would really like to do some statistical analysis of where he stood in the box before the pad and where he stands now. Baseball writers, Analyst talk about this all the time. I really do not care if he protects his elbow. That was not my point. My point was get the guy off the plate. If pitchers knew they could scare him with a brush back pitch his numbers would not be as good. Heck if he is that scared of getting injured, why does he complain so much when he is intentionally walked? That is the safest play he can make.

Jack of Arcades
05-13-2005, 05:15 PM
Well, Barry's HBP numbers are a bit up in the last 4 years, though not out of line with his 1997-1998 numbers. I'm guessing it's a combination of a few things:

1) Standing closer to the plate
2) Bigger target
3) Less mobility

I mean, in 92 and 93 he didn't get hit by many pitches, doesn't stop the fact that they were two of his best years...

chaas4747
05-13-2005, 05:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, Barry's HBP numbers are a bit up in the last 4 years, though not out of line with his 1997-1998 numbers. I'm guessing it's a combination of a few things:

1) Standing closer to the plate
2) Bigger target
3) Less mobility

I mean, in 92 and 93 he didn't get hit by many pitches, doesn't stop the fact that they were two of his best years...

[/ QUOTE ]

What are we missing here...... Oh yeah [censored] Steroids.