PDA

View Full Version : U2 Vertigo Tour thoughts

ApolloQuiet
05-13-2005, 01:24 AM
U2 just finished a 4 night stint in Chicago tonight, and I was at the show. I was wondering if anyone else has seen the Vertigo tour, and what their impressions were.

I thought it was a really good show. They did a lot of older songs, including two off of the October album, and several off of War besides Sunday Bloody Sunday. They also did a bunch of new stuff obviously. The only problems I had with the show was that technically, they had some cool concepts, but they didn't come across that great. I really liked the hanging ball imaging setup, but the show didn't seem to flow smoothly like it did on the Elevation and Zoo TV tours. The other thing I didn't like was on a few of the songs, Bono seemed to forget some words. I've seen them 3 times, and everytime he's messed up the lyrics on 'One'. Oh well.

As for the good songs, 'Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own' was brilliant. It's a deep song to begin with, but Bono's voice was in top form tonight as he nailed the bridge. Other highlights were 'With or Without You', 'Beautiful Day', 'Gloria', 'Sunday Bloody Sunday', and when they closed with 'Bad/40'. I heard that at Tuesday's show they were recording it for a soon to be released DVD. Hope it was a good show, but they had to do Vertigo twice, once as the opener, and also as an encore, probably for the recording.

As for the opening band, Kings of Leon, I thought they were amazing. They are a total acquired taste kind of sound, but hopefully will continue to put out good stuff like they did on Aha Shake Heartbreak. Sounded really good live too.

pryor15
05-13-2005, 01:29 AM
has bono learned how to count in spanish yet? /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

MasterShakes
05-13-2005, 01:32 AM
Are they still doing "Where The Streets..."?

razor
05-13-2005, 01:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be hard to imagine a U2 concert without "Streets" It's been a highlight of every show I've seen.

MasterShakes
05-13-2005, 02:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be hard to imagine a U2 concert without "Streets" It's been a highlight of every show I've seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish they'd let the bassline at the beginning build a lot longer than they do... really long intro sort of thing...

htc1278
05-13-2005, 02:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
has bono learned how to count in spanish yet? /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard that the uno, dos, tres, catorce thing is a reference to 14 missing bombs or something like that.

My gf went to the Monday show and she said the first 6 songs were great. She has a heart condition, drank too much, didn't eat anything, and found that her friend had taken her to the paramedics because she nearly passed out. /images/graemlins/frown.gif She said her blood pressure was incredibly low for the rest of the night and most of Tuesday. Doh!

Didn't they film Monday's show for a DVD or something?

ApolloQuiet
05-13-2005, 11:39 AM
The best version of 'Streets' is from Rattle and Hum. The version they did last night was short, no bright lights, etc.

Voltron87
05-13-2005, 11:40 AM
The answer is: "[censored] Bono".