PDA

View Full Version : What Area Has The Worst Drivers?

IggyWH
05-12-2005, 11:37 PM
Just got back this afternoon from Manassus, Virginia and driving home it got me thinking... what area has the worst drivers?

Now granted I haven't been to too many places... probably as far west as Chicago and as far south as North Carolina. I have to say though that the people in the DC area have to be the worst drivers I've ever seen.

I don't think 1 person knows what a turn signal. I seriously think a cop didn't pull me over today because I used a turn signal. I was cruising in the HOV lane of the beltway doing about 90. Next thing I know I look in my rear view window and I see some bacon. I'm like [censored]... figured I was nailed. I turned on my turn signal to move off to the right. He then switched lanes with me, drove behind me for a little, then went back to the HOV lane and took off.

thatpfunk
05-12-2005, 11:47 PM
Southern California, easily.

OldYoda
05-12-2005, 11:49 PM
In my experience - Boston, the worst you can imagine.

TStoneMBD
05-12-2005, 11:50 PM
for the east coast, its undoubtedly new york city, especially the non-rich areas. for the west coast, cali.

Patrick del Poker Grande
05-12-2005, 11:51 PM
I have enough experience to comment on drivers in WI, MN, MI, OH, CA, AZ, LA and CO. They're all bad in their own way. By far the most dangerously bad were in OH, specifically Cincinnati They're the cut-off kings and they'll cut you off within an inch of your bumper at any speed - and they do hit every speed. CA drivers are bad in the overall I'm an idiot and you can't tell wtf I'm going to do because I can't even tell wtf I'm going to do kind of way. CO drivers are bad in that they don't know how to merge and they ride in the fast lane for no good reason. AZ drivers are just slow. LA drivers are just slow in the head and their reaction times suck. It's more than just a stereotype that the people down in LA are slow. They also spend too much time cruising in the fast lane when they don't belong there. WI and to a greater extent MN drivers are a bit wreckless and too fearless in less-than-optimal conditions (with the exception of the mothers in minivans, but fathers in minivans are the worst). MI drivers tailgate like motherfuckers.

bump
05-12-2005, 11:52 PM
Asia

nervous
05-12-2005, 11:53 PM
NYC - only place where I've seen a U turn from right lane on a 4 lane street.

IggyWH
05-12-2005, 11:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I watched some kickass show on Discovery not too long ago about them re-doing Boston's highways and how they made a new route to the airport and built underground highways. Really cool show...

Is traffic still really bad there even after all that?

Crveballin
05-13-2005, 12:27 AM
Virginia, but thats only cause im from Maryland

KaneKungFu123
05-13-2005, 12:38 AM
bangkok.

hands down.

not even close.

[ QUOTE ]
Just got back this afternoon from Manassus, Virginia and driving home it got me thinking... what area has the worst drivers?

Now granted I haven't been to too many places... probably as far west as Chicago and as far south as North Carolina. I have to say though that the people in the DC area have to be the worst drivers I've ever seen.

I don't think 1 person knows what a turn signal. I seriously think a cop didn't pull me over today because I used a turn signal. I was cruising in the HOV lane of the beltway doing about 90. Next thing I know I look in my rear view window and I see some bacon. I'm like [censored]... figured I was nailed. I turned on my turn signal to move off to the right. He then switched lanes with me, drove behind me for a little, then went back to the HOV lane and took off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isura
05-13-2005, 01:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Asia

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm from Sri Lanka, probably the worst drivers in the world. As a side note, at one point in the 80's, the country decided to remove and ban seatbelts from all new cars (they were later reinstated).

Michael Davis
05-13-2005, 01:23 AM
I don't know how you judge "worst," but if you are talking about some sort of skill level, people who live in large metropolitan areas are almost assuredly better drivers as a group than rural folk, unless NASCAR is evidence.

-Michael

Yobz
05-13-2005, 01:24 AM
What state has the highest female:male ratio?

imported_stealthcow
05-13-2005, 01:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I watched some kickass show on Discovery not too long ago about them re-doing Boston's highways and how they made a new route to the airport and built underground highways. Really cool show...

Is traffic still really bad there even after all that?

[/ QUOTE ]

the big dig. it doesn't make the drivers any better. but its cool, and makes some things easier. unforuantely its really late, way over budget, and still doesn't make everything great

stealthcow-

ripdog
05-13-2005, 01:34 AM
I drove from Phoenix to Nogales and back in one day a few years ago. It didn't matter how much traffic there was or how fast we were going, someone was always plastered to my bumper. There were accidents every few miles at the mid way point on the return trip. I actually started to cheer when I saw them. People who drive this poorly deserve to have their cars wrecked and insurance premiums raised. Drivers in Washington suck, but for different reasons. I think a better question would be "Where do you hate to drive the most?". AZ wins it hands down for me.

IggyWH
05-13-2005, 01:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What state has the highest female:male ratio?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I could answer that, but even if I could, I wouldn't want to feed the fish...

gorie
05-13-2005, 01:37 AM
for some reason the "area" follows me where i go...

Blarg
05-13-2005, 03:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know how you judge "worst," but if you are talking about some sort of skill level, people who live in large metropolitan areas are almost assuredly better drivers as a group than rural folk, unless NASCAR is evidence.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you can guarantee that they will THINK they are.

People in L.A. are always talking about what great drivers they are, including the ones who get in accidents several times a year. In L.A., people's perception of how good drivers they are seems totally disconnected from their actual skill.

They never use turn signals, if they do check to see if things are clear, it's very often rear view or side mirror only and never a check with the head to the blind spot.

Consistent as a swiss watch, they park in the middle of intersections so traffic can't get through.

They put on make-up and talk on cell phones like crazy, swerving and slowing and speeding up in random patterns as they do. I've seen so many people crash into cars stopped at stop signs or just parked cars on the street that I can't even count them anymore - including crashing into mine.

I've seen so many people change from Dr. Jekyll to Mr. Hyde as soon as they get in their cars, screaming at people and shaking their fists, honking, vengefully tailgating and passing, etc. It's like a lot of people just get completely psychotic in their cars and I can't understand why.

L.A. has an incredibly high accident rate, and it's not just because there are lots of cars. There must be something in the water or something, because I constantly see people walking across the street without looking either, and stopping at the top of escalators to look around, when there are 20 people on the escalator behind them. They do that with elevators too.

I don't know what the hell is happening to this part of the planet, but it's like some crazed backwards eugenics program has been systematically eliminating the people fit for survival or something.

ucfryan
05-13-2005, 03:58 AM
I encounter people from Georgia here in Florida all of the time, they are hands down the worst drivers I've ever seen.

sfer
05-13-2005, 10:54 AM
Duh. The correct answer is Asia.

nothumb
05-13-2005, 11:02 AM
Within my experience (East Coast and Midwest, pretty thorough) the worst drivers are easily in the rural Virginia area, with second being south Georgia. Atlanta is one of the worst cities to drive in. Boston is worse than New York, and that is not close.

NT

Dangergirl
05-13-2005, 01:09 PM
For those of you who live in border towns or have been to Mexico, I think you'll agree with me here that Mexico's drivers suck. Also it gets annoying that every stoplight someone attempts to clean your windows.

beerbandit
05-13-2005, 01:28 PM
parking lots

people drive like [censored] idiots in them

cheers

partygirluk
05-13-2005, 01:29 PM
Israel

BradyC
05-13-2005, 01:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
LA drivers are just slow in the head and their reaction times suck. It's more than just a stereotype that the people down in LA are slow. They also spend too much time cruising in the fast lane when they don't belong there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can testify this to being 100% truth... biggest pet peeve ever.

zephed56
05-13-2005, 01:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Southern California, easily.

[/ QUOTE ]
Specifically, Westminster and Garden Grove.

BreakfastBurrito
05-13-2005, 01:48 PM
I've driven pretty much everywhere in this country and the only thing I'm sure of is everyone sucks at driving besides me.

mmbt0ne
05-13-2005, 01:57 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
Atlanta is one of the worst cities to drive in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't driven much elsewhere, but I don't find this hard to believe.

trotski
05-13-2005, 01:57 PM
I have to chime in for Seattle here. The worst is when it rains, a bit ironic considering you would think they would learn to drive in it around here /images/graemlins/mad.gif ...they have no idea.

I think some of the other Seattleites here know what I mean.

Shajen
05-13-2005, 02:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Atlanta is one of the worst cities to drive in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't driven much elsewhere, but I don't find this hard to believe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Day in and day out, I gotta say of the US cities I've driven in, the ATL is really bad.

DC is pretty damned bad too. Never driven in Boston or NYC.

Houston, SoCal, and Silicon Valley area traffic is pretty bad too.

Atlanta traffic is making me hate my fellow man.

The worst in the world? Gotta be Malaysia or Singapore. Hong Kong traffic was surprisingly not bad at all when I was there.

GrunchCan
05-13-2005, 02:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I encounter people from Georgia here in Florida all of the time, they are hands down the worst drivers I've ever seen.

[/ QUOTE ]