PDA

View Full Version : Drunk Driving

augie00
05-12-2005, 09:58 PM
My friend came by my house today to smoke a little green. He had just been out at the bars (it's "Senior Walk" at our school, seniors walk from bar to bar starting at noon).

We smoked, and he realized he was out of cigarettes. He wanted to drive to the gas station, and then back to his apartment.

He was wasted, so I took his keys away. He forcefully grabbed them back and started yelling at me to shut the door and put on my seatbelt.

I've driven with people who have been drinking, but my friend was legitimatley wasted. On the way out to his car, he knocked over my friend's milkshake, tripped over his own feet, fell down the stairs, and missed putting his key in the door.

Then, once in the car, he spilled a coke, dropped his keys twice, dropped his cigarette while he was on the phone, and missed the ignition when he was trying to start the car.

My friend is not fun when he is drunk, and he can sometimes get pretty angry.

I tried to bargain with him, offered to drive and offered to walk with him.

I eventually realized he wasn't going to give in and got out, told him to go crash, and called him a loser. He drove away pissed.

tbach24
05-12-2005, 10:01 PM
You should've offered to let him sit in your sex chair.

xorbie
05-12-2005, 10:01 PM
Good for you for trying to not let him go, and for not getting in with him.

I know one kid from my high school, had a sports scholarship to college, lot of potential etc etc, got drunk, killed his girlfriend when he crashed and is now spending time in prison. It's just not [censored] worth it.

SmileyEH
05-12-2005, 10:06 PM
I honestly would have called the cops if he was that drunk, or if I was bigger/stronger have physically prevented him from driving.

-SmileyEH

wacki
05-12-2005, 10:07 PM
http://www.helpjacqui.com/Intro_02.htm

tbach24
05-12-2005, 10:11 PM
But seriously, I agree with the other guys.

Last year we had this dude that got into a drunk driving accident come to our school for the saturday assembly and the girl's mom who he killed was there too. It was intensely sad. You would feel really bad if something happened to your friend or something happened to someone else because of your friend. You should've beat his ass or called the cops. Not your fault that you couldn't think of it at the time, but just a reminder for next time.

whiskeytown
05-12-2005, 10:17 PM
you will lose the friend for the rest of your life, however, if you pull a stunt like that and he gets arrested - a DUI is a hell of a long black mark, from what I hear

it'll be a small tradeoff if he kills someone, but I long ago told people to stop trying to take responsibility for my life, and I've returned the favor by not trying to take too much responsibility for anyone else's, except in cases of extreme concern - (translation - that suicide post a couple days ago)

I assume he made it ok, otherwise you'd have ended this with "and the cops busted his ass"

RB

BusterStacks
05-12-2005, 10:17 PM
He'll learn his lesson when he gets caught. I did.

augie00
05-12-2005, 10:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I honestly would have called the cops if he was that drunk, or if I was bigger/stronger have physically prevented him from driving.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's my good friend. If I called the cops on him, bad things would happen (and they wouldn't have anything to do with him getting a ticket).

Also, he is big and strong. He could probably beat me up.

The Stranger
05-12-2005, 10:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He'll learn his lesson when he gets caught. I did.

[/ QUOTE ]

What lesson is that? Stop driving?

Sponger15SB
05-12-2005, 10:25 PM
You did a good job augie.

kerssens
05-12-2005, 10:27 PM
Drinking that early in the day always sounds like fun but stuff usually goes wrong.

beta1607
05-12-2005, 10:33 PM
Wow. Thanks for that link Wacki. Very Powerful. It just shows how someone's stupid actions will hurt others.

Eihli
05-12-2005, 10:34 PM
I would have kicked his ass. Letting him go makes you as irresponsible as him. At least he was drunk and his judgement was impaired. You let him drive like that in your right mind.

I know my friends would have the sense to disable me if I ever tried to drive drunk.

wacki
05-12-2005, 10:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow. Thanks for that link Wacki. Very Powerful. It just shows how someone's stupid actions will hurt others.

[/ QUOTE ]

From the website:

[ QUOTE ]
Jacqui's medical bills are staggering, and she has no health insurance. A special account has been established to help defray some of her living expenses and medical bills. If you would like to help, you can make a donation by check or credit card.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.helpjacqui.com/Intro_02.htm

James282
05-12-2005, 10:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's my good friend. If I called the cops on him, bad things would happen (and they wouldn't have anything to do with him getting a ticket).

Also, he is big and strong. He could probably beat me up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Beat you up for saving his life and the lives of others? Nice friend. I once called the cops on a roommate of mine who was driving drunk to see his girlfriend at like 3 AM on a Saturday night because they got in a fight. She was 200 miles away, so I called to try and get him pulled over. They never found his car, and he made it okay. He later thanked me for calling the cops, but I doubt he would have had they pulled him over.
-James

wacki
05-12-2005, 11:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I once called the cops on a roommate of mine who was driving drunk to see his girlfriend at like 3 AM on a Saturday night because they got in a fight. She was 200 miles away, so I called to try and get him pulled over.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Was he shitfaced?

[ QUOTE ]
He later thanked me for calling the cops, but I doubt he would have had they pulled him over.

[/ QUOTE ]

Double wowzers. He actualy thanked you???? Wow. Sounds like a really good guy but wow...

AviD
05-12-2005, 11:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My friend came by my house today to smoke a little green. He had just been out at the bars (it's "Senior Walk" at our school, seniors walk from bar to bar starting at noon).

We smoked, and he realized he was out of cigarettes. He wanted to drive to the gas station, and then back to his apartment.

He was wasted, so I took his keys away. He forcefully grabbed them back and started yelling at me to shut the door and put on my seatbelt.

I've driven with people who have been drinking, but my friend was legitimatley wasted. On the way out to his car, he knocked over my friend's milkshake, tripped over his own feet, fell down the stairs, and missed putting his key in the door.

Then, once in the car, he spilled a coke, dropped his keys twice, dropped his cigarette while he was on the phone, and missed the ignition when he was trying to start the car.

I eventually realized he wasn't going to give in and got out, told him to go crash, and called him a loser. He drove away pissed.

[/ QUOTE ]

You did what you could, he'll learn his lesson one day and hopefully it won't take his life or anyone else's

augie00
05-12-2005, 11:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would have kicked his ass. Letting him go makes you as irresponsible as him. At least he was drunk and his judgement was impaired. You let him drive like that in your right mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I kick his ass, there's a good chance that he will be very angry at me. If I call the cops, he gets in some serious [censored].

I'd rather not get my 2nd best friend arrested.

Am I selfish for thinking this way? I mean, I would feel bad if he got in an accident, but man, I don't like him yelling at me.

tbach24
05-12-2005, 11:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I kick his ass, there's a good chance that he will be very angry at me. If I call the cops, he gets in some serious [censored].

Am I selfish for thinking this way? I mean, I would feel bad if he got in an accident, but man, I don't like him yelling at me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fight to take his keys away. From there, just take them and book.

gumpzilla
05-12-2005, 11:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither of these alternatives are very good. Calling the cops on him will result in lots of possible outcomes, but probably the best case scenario is that he pays a lawyer $1000+ and gets off with a very minor license suspension and might very well not be interested in being your friend anymore. I think wrestling with him is better long-term than this; he'll be pissed off now but will be far more likely to get over this and even acknowledge that he was being a king douche later.

Can't you get him a cab or something to get him where he wants to go?

augie00
05-12-2005, 11:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Can't you get him a cab or something to get him where he wants to go?

[/ QUOTE ]

I had smoked one bowl, and I was totally good to drive. I offered (begged) for him to let me to drive, but that just made him want to drive even more. He was just being a stubborn ass drunk.

nervous
05-12-2005, 11:57 PM
Should have thrown his keys out the window or something.

Hopefully that was just him being stubborn while drunk and he doesn't really think that it is okay to drive drunk. If he does believe that it is bad to drive drunk, he will thank you later.

bernie
05-13-2005, 12:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pussy

b

bernie
05-13-2005, 12:40 AM
I've driven drunk before. Not 'that' drunk to where I was falling over and stuff. That's what the backseat was for. My buds and me kept pretty good tabs on each other. We never drove in that condition.

If he was in really bad shape as you say, you take the keys. Make him take them back forcefully. If he does, and he still gets in, you call the cops.

The last line is to say, 'If you go, I will call the cops. You can't drive.'

Then if he starts the car, you make the call as he's pulling away.

Weigh that against your conscience if he should hit someone. Like another friend or family member coming over for a suprise visit.

A friend who 'hates' you (long) after that, really isn't that good of a friend anyways. He would realize the position he put you in. Friends don't do that to friends, imo.

b

augie00
05-13-2005, 02:33 AM
Update: my friend made it home fine, although according to eye-witness reports he crashed into a garbage can on the way to his parking spot.

According to him, "the garbage can was in the way"

theBruiser500
05-13-2005, 02:53 AM
the problem with drunk driving, of course, is that it is not your own life you are risking but other peoples. it strikes me as an incredibly arrogant thing to do, drunk driving. it's been hammered into me pretty well in HS and ads and just whatever that drunk driving is something never to do, but at college i get the impression it is not an uncommon occurence.

wacki
05-13-2005, 02:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]

the problem with drunk driving, of course, is that it is not your own life you are risking but other peoples.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because drunk people don't tense up, they rarely die. It's almost always the passengers or the people in the other car that die.

theBruiser500
05-13-2005, 02:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

the problem with drunk driving, of course, is that it is not your own life you are risking but other peoples.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because drunk people don't tense up, they rarely die. It's almost always the passengers or the people in the other car that die.

[/ QUOTE ]

if tensing up is an instinctual act people do, why wouldn't it help? intuitively it seems like tensing up would help brace for impact. in any case, that is an incredible irony.

augie00
05-13-2005, 03:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
but at college i get the impression it is not an uncommon occurence.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct. I'd say that roughly 30%-40% of people that go out to bars either drive home drunk, or get in a car with someone who is drunk.

wacki
05-13-2005, 03:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
if tensing up is an instinctual act people do, why wouldn't it help?

[/ QUOTE ]

That instinct was evolved long before the car was around. Tensing up acts like a shock absorber when the G forces are in the single digits. In car crashes, the G forces are in the double or triple digits. In those situations the tensed up muscle concentrates the forces in the wrong spots and those parts of the body can't take that much force.

In evasive driving/stunt courses they actually tell you to relax during a crash. This is very difficult for a normal person to do.

IndieMatty
05-13-2005, 10:28 AM
I'll read this entire thread later. Good play Augie. I lost two friends to drunk driving. One was in the passenger seat, died shortly after impact. The other was his best friend who was driving. He walked away, and is doing 3-5 years right now.

Lazymeatball
05-13-2005, 11:20 AM
so if what you're saying is true, I would be much safer to get really drunk before i become a passenger in car? check.

einbert
05-13-2005, 12:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your number one priority in this situation shouldn't have been a drunk person getting angry at you. It should have been keeping your friend alive.

purnell
05-13-2005, 12:58 PM
Umm... usually calling the cops doesn't occur to folks who just smoked a joint. Depends where you live, I suppose.

fnord_too
05-13-2005, 01:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Update: my friend made it home fine, although according to eye-witness reports he crashed into a garbage can on the way to his parking spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is he saying if he was sober he would still hit the garbage can in that situation?

Tough spot all arround. Your friend and alcohol don't seem to mix well in a few ways.

augie00
05-13-2005, 01:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is he saying if he was sober he would still hit the garbage can in that situation?

Tough spot all arround. Your friend and alcohol don't seem to mix well in a few ways.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he wouldn't have hit it if he were sober. That was sort of a "drunken joke" I guess, I don't know. He laughed, I didn't think it was funny.

You are right. My friend should never, ever drink alcohol.

jedi
05-13-2005, 01:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you kick his ass, he'll be temporarily angry at you while he's drunk. If he's still angry when he becomes sober, drop the friend.

And how would you have felt if he got in an accident and killed someone else?

partygirluk
05-13-2005, 01:19 PM
Sounds like he was a danger not just to himself. A well timed right hook should give him time to sober up.

Eihli
05-13-2005, 10:56 PM
Your selfish for caring more about whether he kills himself than whether he kills someone else.

bennyk
05-14-2005, 04:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You are correct. I'd say that roughly 30%-40% of people that go out to bars either drive home drunk, or get in a car with someone who is drunk.

[/ QUOTE ]

off the top of my head, i'd say that the percentage is much higher than this.

i have driven a few times when i shouldn't have, and i will not do it again. i try to keep people i know from driving if they shouldn't; it isn't worth the risk.

bk

KaneKungFu123
05-14-2005, 06:09 AM
nice job giving him his keys.

the little girl whose father he killed wants to say thanks for not takig the keys and tossing them into the bushes.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

SGS
05-14-2005, 07:41 AM
You did all you could, [censored] him.

SGS