PDA

View Full Version : Best Stones song

miajag81
05-12-2005, 08:23 PM
I say Paint It Black. Not close.

tbach24
05-12-2005, 08:24 PM
Sympathy for the Devil. Paint it Black is a close second IMO.

bernie
05-12-2005, 08:29 PM
Gimme Shelter. I love how the woman's voice cracks during the breakdown.

b

Soul Daddy
05-12-2005, 08:31 PM
Easily Paint it Black.

Victor
05-12-2005, 08:36 PM
dead flowers imo.

good thread, ima download some now.

Chairman Wood
05-12-2005, 08:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If it's not close, why make a thread about it? The correct answer is Sympathy for the Devil. Best rock and roll song ever. There are so many others worth mentioning but the one that probably won't get mentioned in the rest of this thread that deserves the most praise is Sweet Virginia.

Blarg
05-12-2005, 08:58 PM
I love Paint it Black, but it's a little cute. It's one of those songs that couldn't be more true when you're in the mood, and is funny when you're not.

I'm completely blown away by Gimme Shelter every time I hear it.

Satisfaction is also a truly great song.

Sympathy for the Devil is great too. Both those songs were very daring in their day, and you still don't see much in pop culture that really comes close to questioning the way things work, or would even care to. Huge respect is warranted, plus they sound great.

I've always had a real soft spot for Jumping Jack Flash, too. That song kicks huge ass.

They've got so many truly outstanding songs that it's hard to pick just one out as a favorite.

OldYoda
05-12-2005, 09:04 PM
1. Paint it black 2. Sympathy for the Devil 3. Satisfaction
4. Brown Suger 5. You Can't Always Get What You Want

Zeno
05-12-2005, 09:12 PM
The Stones put out an album not too long ago called Stripped.

Contains many of their best songs:

Street Fighting Man
Like a Rolling Stone
The Spider and the Fly
Let it Bleed
Dead Flowers
Love in Vain
Sweet Virginia

I always liked Honky Tonk Woman, Satisfaction, and Jumping Jack Flash also.

Sympathy For the Devil is probably tops but:

'You Can't Always Get What You Want'

Numero Uno?

-Zeno

Blarg
05-12-2005, 09:23 PM
Yeah, that one is a great one too.

oljumpstart
05-12-2005, 09:44 PM
Lovin Cup.
I love almost anythng off of "Exile on Main Street", but it doesn't seem to be that well known overall.

James Boston
05-12-2005, 09:54 PM
Dead Flowers
Loving Cup
Let It Bleed

...too many to continue

bosoxfan
05-12-2005, 10:05 PM
It's not very popular but i always liked "she's a rainbow"

bernie
05-13-2005, 12:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Lovin Cup.
I love almost anythng off of "Exile on Main Street", but it doesn't seem to be that well known overall.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yknow, I have heard so much (good) about that album I've been meaning to give it a sample and maybe buy it.

Edit: Im sampling it right now on amazon.

b

GFunk911
05-13-2005, 12:25 AM
Chill Songs: Gimme Shelter, Sympathy
Classic Poppy Songs: Satisfaction, Brown Sugar
Softer Songs: Wild Horses, Get what you want, Ruby Tuesday
Rock Out, D00D: Paint it Black,

Best Song: MUUUURRRDDDDDEERRRRRR

raisins
05-13-2005, 02:00 AM
Many of the best Stones songs are not their singles. The very best is "Monkey Man". I'm not a big fan of live versions in general but "I'm All Right" is another lesser known favorite. The only other live version of a song that I like near as much is the Ramones, "I Don't Care". Back to the Stones, from their hits, I pick "Gimme Shelter".

regards,

raisins

istewart
05-13-2005, 02:03 AM
It's "Gimme Shelter" and nothing is close to it. Of course nearly everything they have is great though.

"Paint it Black," "Satisfaction," "Get Off of My Cloud," and "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" are all sweet.

As is anything on Exile on Main Street.

istewart
05-13-2005, 02:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I love how the woman's voice cracks during the breakdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

blatz
05-13-2005, 02:21 AM
Along with Monkey Man, I can always listen to Salt of the Earh and Stray Cat Blues. The man can sing.

Mick on the background of Peter Tosh's Don't Look Back also kills me. Saw the video on a JetBlue Flight to NY on VH1 classic, and was reconvinced how absolutely and completely cool that guy was.

Then they showed his Dancing in the Street video with David Bowie, and I quickly remebered what a fool he is.

Blarg
05-13-2005, 03:23 AM
Marianne Faithful. She's super famous for that one song alone.

raisins
05-13-2005, 03:34 AM
I'm not familiar with the Peter Tosh song, I'll keep it in mind.

The two songs you mentioned are outstanding, top 10 if not top 5.

The Dacing in the Streets video was shameful. No telling what kind of idiocy a pair of old catamites like those two will dream up (not that there's anything wrong with that etc. etc. or anything wrong with David Bowie for that matter). Reminds me of one of Mick Jagger's videos from one of his solo albums where he is running (probably in place in front of a blue screen, but it's been a while) with the camera right in front of him while he sings the song, and not a very good one. Did he think that looked intense?

Crazy that someone with such incredibly good taste could make some of those goofy missteps. He's been around a long time though, I guess, no one bats 1.000. It's just funny to me that he would have been making those videos thinking, "Yeah this is cool, this will work.".

regards,

raisins

bernie
05-13-2005, 03:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Marianne Faithful. She's super famous for that one song alone.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not Marianne Faithful. It was Merry Clayton.

I also like how, after her voice cracks, you hear mick say, "whoaooo!!"

b

Bob Moss
05-13-2005, 03:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, in fact I hardly like any of their other songs.

Bob

Blarg
05-13-2005, 03:44 AM
That doesn't make for a good recommendation for the one you do like.

Blarg
05-13-2005, 03:46 AM
WTF? Man I was sure it was Marianne Faithful. I thought I saw her interviewed about it and all.

Hmm, I'm too lazy to research it, but I still don't buy it.

bernie
05-13-2005, 03:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
WTF? Man I was sure it was Marianne Faithful. I thought I saw her interviewed about it and all.

Hmm, I'm too lazy to research it, but I still don't buy it.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't think there is a white woman on earth that could've pulled that vocal off. It's obviously a black singer witha gospel style background. A soul sister.

Faithfull was on a different track.

But hey, I didn't know the song was about war until I decided to read the lyrics a little while back.

b

plaster8
05-13-2005, 03:56 AM
Everything that's been mentioned so far is (obviously) great. While I wouldn't call it their best ever, I've always loved "Memo From Turner." Don't know what album it's on, because I heard it on the Singles Collection box set. Best slide guitar I've ever heard.

Blarg
05-13-2005, 04:10 AM
I think that was from the Nicholas Roeg movie, "Performance," that Jagger was one of the stars of. Fantastic movie. Still not out on DVD, as far as I know.

Blarg
05-13-2005, 04:11 AM
I've never been convinced that only black or white people can sing a certain way or play a musica instrument a certain way.

Not to say I couldn't be wrong about who's on the track, though.

bernie
05-13-2005, 04:19 AM
You can't, generally, tell the difference between a black persons' voice and a white person? Blacks tend to be more in the lower frequencies filling out their sound.

I have yet to hear a white gospel soul singer even come close to any black gospel singers i've heard. It'd be kinda cool to see and hear if there is one.

[ QUOTE ]
Not to say I couldn't be wrong about who's on the track, though

[/ QUOTE ]

Google Merry Clayton + rolling stones.

b