PDA

View Full Version : Keeping my home office cool in SoCal

Jeff W
05-12-2005, 04:02 PM
My house in San Diego has no air conditioning. I am going to be spending 35+ hours a week in my office/computer and I need to keep the room cool because it gets up to 100 degrees in the summer. Also, I am worried about heat damage to my new PC and monitors.

Any affordable suggestions?

swolfe
05-12-2005, 04:35 PM
don't you play high limit? cash out a few BB and get a window unit.

EDIT: or one of these (http://bizrate.lycos.com/buy/noncat_prod_details__oid--282763105.html) if the room has no window.

Jeff W
05-12-2005, 04:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
don't you play high limit? cash out a few BB and get a window unit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have tall windows that slide side to side, so I don't know if a window air conditioner will work.

Haha, I don't play high limit unless you consider 15/30 and 30/60 high limit. I am very cheap--bordering on obsessiveness, but I don't know how to fix that. I will work on it. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Edit: Also, my already legendary frugality is enhanced by my current lack on incoming money. I haven't been able to play lately because of my fried computer.

Blarg
05-12-2005, 04:43 PM
The portable units are sweet. Supentown makes some that are sold on www.newegg.com. (http://www.newegg.com.) They're more expensive than wall units, but they don't require installation, are powerful and energy efficient, and you can wheel them from room to room. You port them through windows, and they have foam or plastic panels to block out the part of the window not used by the hose.

By the way, on really hot days, I've wrapped a towel around a big stadium cushion sized hard plastic container of Blue Ice and sat on it. Hours worth of cool on a broad area of skin, and the condensation is so slow and steady that they never get wet enough to soak the towel. I've laid smaller ones across my leg the same way. Takes the temperature down real fast. Sounds a little nutty but works like a charm.

P.S. I hate swap coolers. They make the place feel like a sauna.

junkmail3
05-12-2005, 04:47 PM
http://www.hawaiiandays.com/BBC/pix/BBC05.jpg

Try hanging these in your doorway, these are very cool.

This is what I use to take my mind off the heat and keep my place looking cool.

Asufiji2004
05-12-2005, 04:48 PM
You can find portable stand up A/C units. I think you just pour water and it cools it and blows the cooled air at you. Check out Home Depot and other such stores. I live in SoCal also, a few well positioned fans to get a good air flow going will keep it nice, but not A/C cool.

Jeff W
05-12-2005, 05:15 PM
Look cool, feel cool. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

DBowling
05-12-2005, 05:26 PM
open the front door and your office window to get a nice breeze going. works for me.

sublime
05-12-2005, 06:19 PM
Haha, I don't play high limit unless you consider 15/30 and 30/60 high limit

i would say 80%+ of the pople on this site play less than or equal to 5/10.

silly jeff

Gin 'n Tonic
05-12-2005, 10:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You can find portable stand up A/C units. I think you just pour water and it cools it and blows the cooled air at you. Check out Home Depot and other such stores. I live in SoCal also, a few well positioned fans to get a good air flow going will keep it nice, but not A/C cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

The ones that you fill with water are usually evaporative coolers - they do increase the humidity in the room (especially a small one) and may be unsuitable for an office with a pc in it for this reason.