PDA

View Full Version : Ugh, checking

istewart
05-12-2005, 03:46 PM
Villain is very loose and passive, like 80/4/.85. I check-folded this river but hated it in hindsight. I don't feel I have a confident enough read to say if he would bet without a boat here, though. What's a better river line?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif. CO posts a blind of $0.5.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO (poster) calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (7 SB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, CO folds.

River: (7.50 BB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB

MrWookie47
05-12-2005, 03:53 PM
Ugh. I can't blame you for checking that river, but when trips are on the board, I've seen people play A high like it's the nuts. Getting 8.5:1 on that river call, you gotta call that. You'll see A or K high, or a stone cold bluff often enough. Hell, maybe even 22.

deception5
05-12-2005, 03:53 PM
I think bet/fold is best. He might call with Ax to make sure you're not bluffing or even a missed diamond draw. However as a loose passive I don't think he'll bluff you often enough to make check/call superior.

Firefly
05-12-2005, 03:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ugh. I can't blame you for checking that river, but when trips are on the board, I've seen people play A high like it's the nuts. Getting 8.5:1 on that river call, you gotta call that. You'll see A or K high, or a stone cold bluff often enough. Hell, maybe even 22.

[/ QUOTE ]
Couldn't have said it better meself...it's a sanity call for me.

Buckmulligan
05-12-2005, 03:55 PM
I like the check on the end, as it may induce a bet from an A or K on a diamond draw who wouldn't be calling. That said, I know I call getting 8.5:1; I think you have the best hand here at least 25% of the time.

istewart
05-12-2005, 03:56 PM
Okay. Well, I mean check/calling vs. bet/folding is an interesting thing, because I don't think I will ever be raised here, and I don't think he ever folds a better hand. So I guess I might as well try to induce any bluff I can.

SoftcoreRevolt
05-12-2005, 03:58 PM
Call it, stone bluffs are very common here as villain says to himself "Wait.. I thought he had trips.. but it is impossible he has four of a kind, so I'll look like I have it... sucker!"

itsmesteve
05-12-2005, 04:00 PM
did you see villain's hand? there are people who would bet almost anything here after you check, b/c it looks like you were bluffing the whole time. without a read its tough, but i like the bet/fold line against a passive player.

turaho
05-12-2005, 04:01 PM
I would check/crying-call the river. Considering the only boat you're ahead of would be villain's 22, you figure he's not going to call a river bet unless he's got a bigger boat or four of a kind. But you might induce a bluff if he's got A-high and he put you on a busted flush draw.

Although I'll admit, it sure doesn't look good for you when he does bet the river.

car ramrod
05-12-2005, 04:04 PM
I like the bet fold to a raise line better.

UATrewqaz
05-12-2005, 04:10 PM
Terrible fold in my opinion.

Anyone with a pair TT or higher would have been betting pre and on the flop.

Anyone with an 8 would have been betting on the turn.

Anyone with a 9 would have been betting on the flop.

NOBODY is putting you on 33 this whole hand, and by checking the river they know you don't have a 9 or an 8, therefore someone who stuck it out with AK/AQ etc suspects they have it best.

Easy call imho, if you're right even 1/8th of the time you break even, you'll be right more than this.

MrWookie47
05-12-2005, 04:10 PM
I think you're much more likely to induce a bluff than you are to get called by a worse hand. I could see A high taking a stab after it looks like you gave up, but I think there's less of a chance of it calling after you've been aggressive the whole way.

istewart
05-12-2005, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone with a pair TT or higher would have been betting pre

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
therefore someone who stuck it out with AK/AQ

[/ QUOTE ]

These statements don't jive exactly.

I think it's a bad fold too, but I don't think I would've been raised earlier by a 9 or a small pair.

gopnik
05-12-2005, 04:23 PM
I think I like check/calling the river here. If you get called(or raised) you are probably beat. Checking could induce a bluff here.

moot
05-12-2005, 04:27 PM
Same.

I really do not like this fold.