PDA

View Full Version : Help...typical home hame players

Phil2
05-12-2005, 03:33 PM
I'm not sure if this is posted in the right place, but here's a question.

I have been playing a lot of home 1 table NL tourney's with about 6 people and small buy-ins ($15-$20). I consider myself to be a decent live player with good experience at 4/8 and 6/12, and recently 1/3 NL and 2/5 NL, all with positive results. The players I have been playing with in these home games have at best mixed results at low limit or no experience at all.

I am having a difficult time formulating an effective strategy to play against these players: It seems that they play tightly on the flop with no holdings and very recklessly with any part of the board. Any 2 Broadways and any ace are overplayed big time. Draws will usually try to hit.

I obviously have to adjust my game to play well in these games. Any thoughts?

jtr
05-12-2005, 06:30 PM
Imagine you played like your opponents do. What style would you fear? Who would take your money? Perhaps someone who made you pay to see flops, who took down pots when you were weak, and who refused to pay off your transparently slowplayed big hands. Job done.

Geoff48
05-12-2005, 08:14 PM
Sounds a lot like my home game, players over valuing there holdings, playing any A or K, checking, folding or calling very small bets when they have nothing.
What has worked for me is simply playing solid poker, I play premium hands, bet agressively when I have the best of it, and make them pay to draw. I don't get fancy and try and make plays, cause they will probably be lost on these guys.

smoore
05-12-2005, 08:24 PM
Try this thread. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/favlinker.php?Cat=&Entry=82940&F_Board=home&Thread =1796677&partnumber=&postmarker=)

duma
05-12-2005, 08:30 PM
you could say that this is a similar style of play that 1-2 NL tourists play in Vegas. play solid, dont try anything fancy and you should get payed.

Phil2
05-13-2005, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the replies; I really appreciate it.