PDA

View Full Version : Tell Me To Fold These Rivers...

kurto
05-12-2005, 11:45 AM
2 hands... Lay down dem river, boys?

I'm at work so these are from memory. (there are all pokerstars $25NL)

HAND 1
Hero in MP with pocket 2s. A few limpers spread around the table. (Hero and villain both have around $30)

($1.25) FLOP 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif j /images/graemlins/spade.gif

(For the record, and I am just bitching here,.. is it possible to get a set without a monotone flop or 3 cards to a straight? I've been getting the minimum or losing my stack because I only flop sets with scary boards and have to fast play because there's always some obvious draw. Anyhoo)

EP plays bets .75. I call. (Based on the above rant, the last 2 times I raised with my sets on monotone flops in an unraised flop, I was raising into the nuts. So I'm going cautious. Which I think is prudent in this case.)

($4.25) TURN 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif (2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif j /images/graemlins/spade.gif)

Villain bets $3. Hero raises to $7. Villain calls.

($18.25) RIVER J /images/graemlins/club.gif (9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif j /images/graemlins/spade.gif)

Villain bets $10.... Hero does what (besides cursing like a sailor while punching his couch repeatedly and scaring the dog.)

There's no way this guy is betting on a flush, right?

HAND 2
Hero has ~$35. 3 limpers. Hero on button with 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif8 /images/graemlins/club.gif. Hero raises to $1. 2 callers.

($3.25) FLOP 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

EP bets .50 (yeah, right.) MP calls .50 (he has ~$50). Hero bets $5.00. EP folds. MP calls.

($13.75) TURN K /images/graemlins/club.gif 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Villain checks. Hero bets $8. Villain calls.

($29.75) RIVER 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif K /images/graemlins/club.gif 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Villain goes All In. Here's what STUPIDLY goes through my mind. "well, he didn't have the odds for the flush draw... could he be betting with something else?"

I've only got $10 left. I'll be getting 4-1. Do I call?

** On another note. I think last night is the first time I truly went on tilt. I think I lost every flush draw I attempted but every flush draw against me seemed to hit. I was cursing all the Gods; Odin, Zeus, Anubis, Jesus, Quetzalcoatl, Saraswati, Bhaal and, OF COURSE, Osiris. Once I realized how irritated I was, I did the only smart thing... watched Blind Date (PHIL GORDON was on Blind Date last night. How weird was that?)

kurto
05-12-2005, 12:44 PM
Can I assume these are all straight forward river folds? Any comments on the rest of the play?

Too dull to comment on?

Anyone worship Osiris?

subzero
05-12-2005, 01:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
HAND 1
Hero in MP with pocket 2s. A few limpers spread around the table. (Hero and villain both have around $30)
...($18.25) RIVER J /images/graemlins/club.gif (9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif j /images/graemlins/spade.gif)
Villain bets $10.... Hero does what (besides cursing like a sailor while punching his couch repeatedly and scaring the dog.)

[/ QUOTE ]
It sure seems like EP got a piece of that flop. I think it's more likely that he has a 9 or J vs. a flopped flush. I fold, cursing the poker gods for finally giving me a set but on an ugly board.

[ QUOTE ]
HAND 2
...($13.75) TURN K /images/graemlins/club.gif 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you have to go all-in on the turn. I'd bet the pot here, but that would leave you with only $5. Might as well push it all in.

TreyOfLight
05-12-2005, 01:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
$25NL, Hero in MP with pocket 2s.
($18.25) RIVER J /images/graemlins/club.gif (9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif j /images/graemlins/spade.gif)
Villain bets $10 w/ 10 more behind....

There's no way this guy is betting on a flush, right?

[/ QUOTE ]After the flop and turn action, what non-flush hands could he have? I think there are only six, quads + J9. He might have put you on a higher flush and be trying to shove you off it.

The weak turn raise is a problem. You need to extract the maximum from hands like A/images/graemlins/spade.gif that won't pay you off on the river.

For all the same reasons plus the need to blow out top 2 pair, raise this flop! I don't care what happened the last two times.

[ QUOTE ]
Hero has ~$35. 3 limpers. Hero on button with 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif8 /images/graemlins/club.gif.
($13.75) TURN K 4 5 6

($29.75) RIVER 3 K 4 5 6

Villain goes All In for 10 more.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming you pay off every time, he's risking $8 to win 40, about right for a draw that hits one time in five.

I call here. You can pay off the flush 100% of the time and break even. If he has 33 or 76 sometimes, you'll come out ahead.

Next time, push the turn. In deeper situations, I like to offer especially bad odds on the turn so that I have some "Sklansky room" to make mistakes on the river.

schwza
05-12-2005, 01:26 PM
the first one's a fold. you're hand just pretty much turned into A high, and it's looking pretty likely that villain has Jx.

i'd call the second one. villain would probably play 7x this way, among other hands. the pot odds are too juicy to let it go.

Rod Strokes
05-12-2005, 02:50 PM
Hand 1: I probably fold and try not to kick the dog.
Hand 2: I think in this game you are ahead enough to make this call, but I wouldn't be suprised to be shown the flush, but I've been shown a flush about every other hand i've played lately.

dtbog
05-12-2005, 03:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Quetzalcoatl

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you hold SELECT while jammering on the "Square" button in an attempt to increase the power of his attack?

(OK, someone's gotta get this...)

-dB

swolfe
05-12-2005, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Quetzalcoatl

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you hold SELECT while jammering on the "Square" button in an attempt to increase the power of his attack?

(OK, someone's gotta get this...)

-dB

[/ QUOTE ]

Culdcept?

jbrock
05-12-2005, 03:39 PM
Ok,

Hand 1. I would fold this river as I don't think you will see the flush here often enough to justify calling. Please raise this turn more. A potsized raise would be $20. $7 is just not enough. A made flush will call you and often the naked A spade will call as well or just push.

Hand 2. Can you say pot committed on the turn? I personally would probably call this river because if he put you on overcards such as AK, he could have been drawing to the straight. That being said, as others have mentioned a potsized bet on the turn leaves you with $5, so jam it in there. Made straights are vulnerable to flushes and to sets so I don't slow play them -- straight up pot sized bets all the way and people won't believe that you already have it.

radioheadfan
05-12-2005, 04:21 PM
Hand 1: Easily laydown. You hand turned to toilet paper, and he certainly has a J or 9.
Hand 2: Call and expect to lose about 65% of the time.

TreyOfLight
05-13-2005, 03:53 AM
results?