PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP..... Middle Pair becoming Over Pair

bluefeet
05-12-2005, 10:55 AM
I would love to get some feedback from some of you regarding your handling of middle-pairs in early rounds (L1, L2 say). Personally I almost always limp. I will also call a modest raise from any position. I stand pretty firm by the 'no set no bet' principal. But with position, I'll certainly take a stab now and then regardless of the flop.

The bigger problem for me is when they do not get spiked, but DO become over pairs to the board.

a) With several in the pot..they don't stand to be over-pairs for long
b) Regardless of positoin, it isn't always easy to get ANYONE off the board

A junk flop just seems to give too many in the pot hope. The blind limpers have hit top/middle pair, maybe a straight draw. The late position guys assume they have at least 6 outs to make a hand, etc. etc.

Likewise if you raise PF and lead out on the flop, you'll often get calls assuming you have a busted AQ, etc.

To me this is one of those hands to NOT get too excited about, despite the flop. If you lead out, and get even one caller, it becomes increasingly difficult to handle almost any kind of turn card. Too often I find myself giving it up on the turn - I suspect, rightfully so. Twice recently, I OVERBET (including a push) just to be done with the damn hand -- only to be called by a middle-pair/straight draw (yes he hit).

I'll give you a few scenarios. Please take some time if you could and explain to me your approach to the flop, and your reasonings behind your decision.

1) Hero is UTG. Hero limps with 99. CO, Button, SB, and BB all limp. Flop 237rainbow.
1a) SB checks, BB bets pot, Hero?
2b) SB and BB check, Hero?

2) Hero is SB w/ 99. Folds to CO who raises 3xBB, Button calls. Hero calls. Flop 248rainbow.
- Hero?

3) Hero is CO w/ 99. Folds to Hero, Hero limps. CO folds, Button raises 3xBB, Blinds fold, Hero calls, BB flods. Flop 247rainbow. Hero?

Considering the above, do you always lead out? Check raise? Assume Check/Call posture until overcard+betsize forces you out?

I do appreciate those that would take a more aggressive line PF, but in the early levels, I'm not too interested in push-fest/coin-toss PF (I play on stars with a ton of start chips).

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.....

Unarmed
05-12-2005, 11:05 AM
Check all except 1b.
Think about what possible hands you could be up against and the most common mistakes your opponents typically make and the reasons for checking should become clear to you.

ewing55
05-12-2005, 12:58 PM
I always check/fold. No set/ No bet. (Of course if I'm in late position, many limpers & it is a mini-raise back to me with everyone staying in and few to play (possibly raise) behind me, I *sometimej/rarely* will call.

I think I've been in the situation you are talking about often enough and usually/always have been beat somehow. And it sometimes is ugly.

Of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong. I'm just a rookie.

------------Jeff

bluefeet
05-12-2005, 08:41 PM
check i get, but never call or reraise? is there any value in having overpairs against the flop?

John Hurst
05-13-2005, 01:11 AM
1a) Reraise and expect to see A7.
1b) Bet pot. I can't see any reason not to.

2) Check. If opponent bets small call and reconsider based on the turn.

3) Same as 2

Scuba Chuck
05-13-2005, 01:28 AM
1a) reraise pot + bet
1b) bet pot
(So far these are easy)

2) Position sucks here. Make your decision on the flop. Are you willing to go to the felt with this hand on the flop? This decision could be relative to your stacksize, and time of the game. That being said, I would likely bet the pot here. I'd hate to see it checked through.

3) You have position here, much easier to make a decision.

I really don't like a check-raise unless you have a set. Bet strong, you likely have the best hand.