PDA

View Full Version : not my standard...

schwza
05-12-2005, 10:28 AM
usually i would reraise, but CO has been a) raising junk very frequently and b) folding to reraises. he's also been going to far with mediocre hands. button is a calling station - he's pretty bad.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button ($134.85)
Hero ($255.8)
BB ($350.34)
UTG ($138.41)
MP ($102.25)
CO ($144.75)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $5</font>, Button calls $5, Hero calls $4, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($17) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $8</font>, Button calls $8, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $35</font>, CO folds, Button calls $27.

Turn: ($95) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $150</font>

(villain has $94 left)

Ghazban
05-12-2005, 10:39 AM
Why the overbet when he doesn't even have that much?

schwza
05-12-2005, 10:48 AM
he had a little less than the pot. i just grabbed the slider and chucked it to the right. do you mean to ask about some weird psychology thing regarding betting $94 vs. $150 vs. all-in? or do you think i should've only bet $60-ish?

Ghazban
05-12-2005, 10:56 AM
I just wondered if it was a psychological tactic. In my experience, betting more than a person has makes them more likely to fold than if you bet exactly what they have (or slightly more). They see the big bet as "Wow, this guy likes his hand so much, he's willing to put in $150!" when, obviously, you're only putting in $94 (or whatever he has left). Against bad players in live games (i.e. the Foxwoods 1/2 game /images/graemlins/grin.gif), it can be very profitable to know when to overbet and when not to as the physical appearance of all the chips can scare people out.

Anyway, I figured you want a call here as he's likely on a flush draw and would be making a FTOP mistake. If he's got you beat (probably a set, possibly two pair), he's calling no matter how much you bet. I think putting him all-in is correct, regardless.

The_Bends
05-12-2005, 11:06 AM
I don't think the psychological value of overbet vs stack bet can really be measured online. Some players will see an over bet as stronger while others will see an exact stack bet as stronger.

schwza
05-12-2005, 11:32 AM
that's an interesting idea. i've thought about it before but never got past "theoretically, the overbet or the exact bet should be more likely to get a call" but never had a guess as to which way it went.

what do you think of the rest of the hand? a friend was sweating and didn't like the call with QQ.

Ghazban
05-12-2005, 11:37 AM
I think its fine. The guy could be slowplaying a set, but given your read of him as a calling station, its just as likely he has AJ or a flush draw. With his stack size on the turn, there's no amount you can bet that allows you to fold on the river (as the pot will be too large compared to the maximum bet you could face) so putting it all-in there is fine.

kongo_totte
05-12-2005, 11:49 AM
I don´t play 6-max so take this with a grain of salt but I dislike the pre-flop call due to position. 1/3 of the flops will be pretty bad (especially OOP), that is, those with an A or K.

The other aspect of it is that since he has been raising crap, you will have no idea where you stand, but in this case, I think keeping a hand undefined will profit you more than him. I don´t know what a standard BB/hand is for Q Q, but there is already 6.5BBs in the pot when it gets to you pre-flop.

PFRs flop aggression is very relevant I think. Does he always continue bet? If that is the case, I´m not so critical of your pre-flop call.

If it was folded to you, I think a call pre-flop would be alright but since bútton called, I´m inclined to raise. To much can go wrong after the flop multiway IMO.

As for the rest of the hand, I´m playing it the same.

Just my $0.02