PDA

View Full Version : Flopped a low flush... Did I play this wrong?

nsdjoe
05-12-2005, 09:09 AM
Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (9 BB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, CO calls, Button calls.

River: (13 BB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, CO calls, Button calls.

Final Pot: 16 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has 7c 5c (flush, ace high).
CO has Tc 8c (flush, ace high).
Button has Ad Jc (one pair, aces).
Outcome: CO wins 16 BB. </font>

itsmesteve
05-12-2005, 09:12 AM
I would've capped the flop, but otherwise it looks fine.

wireMan
05-12-2005, 09:17 AM
*grunching*
I cap the flop. Not only did you flop the flush, yes an overflush is possible, but you also have an OESFD.
I play the turn and river the same.
Now to see what happened...

wireMan
05-12-2005, 09:19 AM
Too bad on the higher flush, but it happens...

nsdjoe
05-12-2005, 09:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Too bad on the higher flush, but it happens...

[/ QUOTE ]

yep, sucks. especially on a day when you go down 30BB in an hour, climb back to within 15BB of breaking even at this hand.. only to go back down 35BB.

2+2 Junkie
05-12-2005, 09:28 AM
I may have capped the flop, not because I have the nuts (it appears that either someone has the flush or they are trying to represent that they do), but you have an open ended stright flush draw. The rest of the hand is fine.

After seeing results:
Sucks. Also, a little surprised that when you didn't cap it, that the other flush didn't raise you....

theghost
05-12-2005, 09:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I may have capped the flop, not because I have the nuts (it appears that either someone has the flush or they are trying to represent that they do), but you have an open ended stright flush draw. The rest of the hand is fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason to cap here is because you have the flush, not because you have 2 outs to a straight flush. If you need the SF to win you don't have equity to raise on that draw (22:1).

You have a made hand, and it is unlikely that you are beat right now, but any club higher than 7 is on a redraw against you. They need roughly 6:1, so sending it around 3 bets cold (for UTG+1) and 2 cold (for CO) is a good thing. Cap it.

Flush over flush with only 3 of a suit hitting the board is rare, but of course happens sometimes. When it happens, you lose; meh.
All of the other times you rake it in. Yay.

moot
05-12-2005, 10:06 AM
Cap this flop. You're equity is huge here. 4 people are in, and you're sure to be ahead of most the them. Sucks that you ran into a higher flush but that's life, and you can't be afraid of that.

Jam it while you have the edge and pray that a 4th flush card doens't hit. The ace and king high flush draws aren't going anywhere so you might as well charge 'em big while you're ahead.

gopnik
05-12-2005, 10:43 AM
I am capping the flop

HajiShirazu
05-12-2005, 10:49 AM
I cap this flop because:
I have a flush, if I don't bet I can't win additional money.
Some people will fold a hand like the naked ten of clubs to three additional bets but not two.

moot
05-12-2005, 11:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I cap this flop because:
I have a flush, if I don't bet I can't win additional money.
Some people will fold a hand like the naked ten of clubs to three additional bets but not two.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is another good reason.

You face the UTG with 3 and the CO with 2. If they have a high club they're here for the duration but you'd really like someone to fold a weak club (that's still higher than both of yours).

EDIT == Though actually, this really depends on what specific cards they have. For instance, if one guy has the K of clubs and another has the J of clubs, you definitely want the J to stick around and pad the pot since you're losing anyway to the K if the 4th club falls.

So sadly, sometimes you're cap will protect, and sometimes your cap will force out hands you would have liked to have stuck around.

wireMan
05-12-2005, 11:44 AM
If a fourth club falls he's losing to anyone holding the 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif or higher.

Arnfinn Madsen
05-12-2005, 11:52 AM
You were lucky that I was not CO since I would have raised the turn :-)

Think you played it fine though (balanced aggressiveness and keeping people in)

moot
05-12-2005, 12:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If a fourth club falls he's losing to anyone holding the 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif or higher.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok...

And?