PDA

View Full Version : lost on what to do here?

jah0550
05-12-2005, 09:08 AM
What is my line here? The two big stacks folded and I had no idea what to do. Does anyone push this, because if I fold, I will be the short stack and will be all-in in 2 hands. Should I wait for a better opportunity or just take my shot here against the BB?
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero (t980)
BB (t640)
UTG (t3260)
Button (t3120)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">
Hero?

bluefeet
05-12-2005, 09:21 AM
I hear ya...nothing as fun as getting blinded out. Granted if you wait, the big boys will have no problem calling, but I'd hope that in the next 2 hands you could pick up something that could hold up a little better to 'random'. Still pretty much a certainty you'll get HU next hand, as the short stack will most likely step back hoping you get axed. Push the next hand with any &gt; Q8.

pergesu
05-12-2005, 10:22 AM
No no no!

The BB is even more scared of busting out here than you are. Try editing your post to not show your cards. You should be pushing any two here.

pergesu
05-12-2005, 10:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I hear ya...nothing as fun as getting blinded out. Granted if you wait, the big boys will have no problem calling, but I'd hope that in the next 2 hands you could pick up something that could hold up a little better to 'random'. Still pretty much a certainty you'll get HU next hand, as the short stack will most likely step back hoping you get axed. Push the next hand with any &gt; Q8.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's WAY better to push a random hand against a small stack than a marginal hand against a big stack.

Phil Van Sexton
05-12-2005, 11:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's WAY better to push a random hand against a small stack than a marginal hand against a big stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try reading the stack sizes. The small stack has 2xBB, so he's going to call 95% of the time.

The big stack is going to call maybe 80%, and you are almost certain to have a better hand than 32o to work with over the next 2.

I don't like giving up my SB for nothing, but 32 is truly horrendous. You have 2 more hands to get something decent.

When you know you are going to be called, you are better off waiting as long as you can for a decent hand.

pergesu
05-12-2005, 11:26 AM
I did look at the stack sizes. I've played plenty of tourneys where people fold when they should be calling/pushing with anything. [censored], I played in a couple just today where players surrendered their blinds leaving them with fewer than 50 chips.

If that guy let himself blind to that spot in the first place, chances are he's willing to give it up again here.

dcasper70
05-12-2005, 11:28 AM
What are the odds of one of your next 2 hands being better than 32s....

multifast1
05-12-2005, 11:28 AM
I agree w/ PVS here. If those stack sizes are pre-posting of the blinds then definetly fold. Almost no chance BB lays down anything here and you're way behind any two cards. IF those stack sizes are after posting blinds (which I doubt) then I could argue for pushing with anything.

theordinaryboy
05-12-2005, 11:31 AM
i agree with phil sb is calling no matter what really and you have one of the worst hu hands going.

Its a lame situation you are in but when you have 3xbb or less its better to wait for when your a 60% fav than pushing konwing your a 40% underdog.

The blinds are so big as well one all-in will do your stack a great deal of good.

If you fold then you have 900-150 = 750

then if you push as utg or button you get at least 750 + 150 (unless the other shorty is the caller) if you win giving you 1650.

now bb would be getting the correct odds to call you with any two so a lot of the time you will find that you are the favourite in the all-in.

I think that you when you get to 3xbb or less you hav to tighten up as your fe is effectively zero. Which means when you get called you at least want to have a fairly decent hand.

pergesu
05-12-2005, 11:37 AM
He's not calling with any two though, that's the thing. Just because you guys would (correctly) call/push any two out of the BB doesn't mean he will.

If gets a crappy hand here, he'll wait to try to double out of the SB. Or even keep folding, hoping you bust.

"Yeah, I've got no shot to win, but that guy has a tiny stack too. He'll have to pay the next BB before I do, maybe he'll bust out."

pooh74
05-12-2005, 11:52 AM
Dont give other players too much credit. Maybe it was a misclick but with 4 left yesterday, I saw a shortstack with 340 post a sb of 300 (600bb) and fold to BB when it was folded to him. everyone else had a healthy stack.

Id push here.

multifast1
05-12-2005, 11:54 AM
I hear what you're saying BUT.. the correct play for BB is to call with any two.. Honestly from my experience, the BB will call/push there at least 80% of the time.. and even if you push and he folds you're still not a cinch for 3rd.

It's a tough one for sure but I'm folding 32s in that spot everytime unless I know the BB shortstack is tighter than.. well, you know.

jah0550
05-12-2005, 12:06 PM
I thought about pushing, but there is no way that the BB folds to my raise. He only has 300 after posting the blind. This was a $30 SNG, so players aren't completely retarded. If I were the BB(with only 2x the BB) and had the 32s, I'd call the SB's all-in. I ended up folding and busting on the next hand with a K8 vs the BB's 810s.

pooh74
05-12-2005, 02:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I thought about pushing, but there is no way that the BB folds to my raise. He only has 300 after posting the blind. This was a $30 SNG, so players aren't completely retarded. If I were the BB(with only 2x the BB) and had the 32s, I'd call the SB's all-in. I ended up folding and busting on the next hand with a K8 vs the BB's 810s.

[/ QUOTE ]

believe it or not...you still have some FE...and believe it or not...this hand can win.

yeah...obviously you do not want to be in this position...but you were. I dont think there is actually a clear cut better choice here. It sucks to be crippled is the moral.