PDA

View Full Version : 400 PL KK Line.

Big_Jim
05-12-2005, 08:01 AM
This play is pretty boring, overall, probably. I think that this line is pretty stanard. Mostly, I'm interested in what people think Villian has.

Villian in this hand has busted me on two pretty big pots in a row. The first, I re-raised the pot from the BB, he called. I bet the pot on a flop of AQx, he raised, and I mucked. (I was on a bluff... =\) A few hands later, I tried to get cute with him in a pot by flat calling his pot sized bet on an A high flop, thinking it was a continuation bet. He checked the turn, I bet about 2/3 the pot, he min-raised and I called hoping for my 5 outer. It didn't come, and I folded to his 1/4 the pot river bet. =\ Villian seems pretty solid, and probably views me as weak/badish.

Then, the following hand comes up...

Party Poker Pot-Limit Hold'em, $4 BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

BB ($381.4)
Hero ($600.5)
MP ($235.6)
CO ($355.2)
Button ($508.4)
SB <font color="#A500AF">(Villian)</font> ($596.5)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif. SB <font color="#A500AF">(Villian)</font>/ posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $14</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls $14, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB :#A500AF(Villian)/ (poster) calls $12, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Cutoff could have almost anything. Villian seems to be solid player, although I haven't seen many showdowns for him.

Flop: ($46) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Villian checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $44</font>
Alright, standard pot sized bet for overpair.

CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Villian raises to $176</font>
I have been leading a lot of flops and folding to raises, so this check-raise doesn't do a WHOLE lot to define his hand. Could easily be AQ a middle pair, a set, or a bluff.

Convinced that he probably viewed me as a weak/badish player and was likely making a move, I decide to push.

<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $572</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Villian immediately raises to $582.50</font>
Hero (obviously) calls $10.50.

His immediate action scared the hell out of me, and made me think I was beat. Probably by a set. But at this point, it was all up to the poker gods to decide.

Turn: ($1209.50) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: ($1209.50) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $1209.50

Any thoughts? What do you think villian has in this hand?

thabadguy
05-12-2005, 08:11 AM
set.

Chris Daddy Cool
05-12-2005, 08:37 AM

DaveduFresne
05-12-2005, 08:44 AM
I'm tempted to put him on the AK of clubs, but I think there's a pretty good chance he would reraise with this hand at 6max. I really gotta go with some kind of either high flush draw or set here. And remember if he's got the Ace of Clubs flush draw, you guys are about 50/50.

Its tempting to always push with the overpair, especially with the flush draw out there. However, it doesn't sound like you really had any idea about what he had. So I prefer a call without a read.

The flat call might scare him, and slow him down. Also, if he is on a flush draw and the turn misses him, he may try for a free card. If he has a set, he'll probably push, and then you just gotta go with your gut read.

One small matter is I don't like your preflop raise to 14. I like a raise of at least twenty, even though youre UTG. Remember Kings are a vulnerable hand, and the more money in preflop the better.

David

arod15
05-12-2005, 08:47 AM
7/7 or A Q im assuming you lost?

-Skeme-
05-12-2005, 08:49 AM
I think you just might've overplayed it.

Phil2
05-12-2005, 09:09 AM
If Villian thought you were weak/badish, maybe he reraises with a bigger hand like suited big slick, or AQ? Maybe even 77...? It seems that Villian more than anything is just very agressive. I think he's trying to push you around with TPTK?

I doubt this is what is going on here, but anyway...I've seen players flat call raises with 72 and then make big raises on the flop wheather they hit or not...trying to take it down right there...better to try this play with 72 than with a decent hand...? I think it is a cute play, but maybe not a profitable one...

Twentysack
05-12-2005, 01:02 PM
This type of action looks very similar to how id play a flush draw against someone who i percieve as a bluffer (Hero in this case). Set is also very possible but i think villian might wait til the turn to pop it since he percieves hero as a bit of a bluffer.

BendingUnit22
05-12-2005, 01:10 PM
QK

gomberg
05-12-2005, 02:07 PM
I like it. I also push a lot of drawy boards and he could easily have AQ there or a pair+flush draw type hand. Most of the time you won't be getting killed here, although a set is possible. The only other line that I could see is a call on the flop then a turn push on the blank. I don't want to guess here and I think you're ahead more times than not given your image. I probably push here as well... I cannot see a fold given your read of villain - and I also like a bigger preflop raise...

Big_Jim
05-13-2005, 12:28 AM
Yeah, I don't like it either... but this was a PL game. No other choice.

Big_Jim
05-13-2005, 12:32 AM
Do people think that Villian check-raises with a set here against a player he thinks is a bluffer? I suppose he has to protect against the flush draw, but I have been folding to all raises on the flop recently.

I suppose that he might, figuring that I'm likely to get fed up with it and take a stand (like I did in this hand)... so I guess I answered my own question.

Big_Jim
05-13-2005, 12:33 AM
I definately agree that I might have overplayed the hand... but what line would you take, given that the Villian's hand range is so wide?

Big_Jim
05-13-2005, 12:39 AM
Villian turned over 2/images/graemlins/club.gif3/images/graemlins/club.gif for a pair and a flush draw. He missed, and I took the pot.

How do people like Villian's play (aside from the ghastly PF call) with this big draw? I often will make huge bets and raises with a draw like this, although usually, I look for better than the 3 high flush draw to do it with.

The problems that I see with his line are that

a) by check-raising the flop, he gives me the option of re-raising, and then HE has to call as opposed to bet all of his chips on a 50/50.
b) I don't know how to continue with this line out of position on the turn if Hero flat calls.

I think I would have prefered to lead out, and re-raise, if I were going to play this draw strong, so that Hero has to be the one to call the all in. (note: this is PL, so pushing to the lead bet is not an option)