PDA

View Full Version : Paradigmatic Shifts in Poker

ekky
05-12-2005, 07:59 AM
Hello sharks:

ekky speaks on this topic.

In Kuhns ground breaking work on paradigmatic shifts, he spoke on the fact that a worldwide (poker world) view continues until it is replaced by a more pragmatic/successful model

I am of the opine that certain books/authors have made this the case within the promised lands of poker:

my main utterance of this thesis is that in accordance to that already mentioned, the shift that has occured is people with no intrinsic skill for the game coming into this land-fill in droves. Absolute droves.

We see it all the time, "how the bleep can you raise with that hand from that position"... "how did you not fold to my continuation bet".... "how can you call that bet after I showed such strength on the flop"

So... ekky thinks to himself... how CAN these people do such dispicable acts of studitary treason?

its because these people have seen the shift. They have seen the future. The future is more and more people playing in a way that text-books/experts tell them. The sooner you adapt and change, the sooner tournament poker becomes a game of over-riding skill

Let us take another example

Pick a poo-bear from this site at will.

Let us assume he raises from UTG... our paradigmatic shift tells us that he is raising UTG... so this oft quoted, rarely understanded term "gap concept" comes into play.

Now, the forward thinking ekkyites, will notice this. They will reverse the gap. They will raise this pooh-bear bookworm out of the pot. They will show their 3/9 os and laugh in the face of text-book criticism

As ekkyites have asked me in the past...

"ekky.. does this only apply to the gap concept, oh great one?"

but of course not my children. I ask them to write down the 10 most common indications of strength/ most common actions, and then to act the opposite.

Button raise? we raise with any 2 cards (against the right stack sizes/opponents of course)

We raise and get re-raised? we of course raise right back (text books love the 3rd raise being one of ultimate strength)

We limp and get re-raised? we raise right back.

The list goes on on and on.. but the great thing? ekkyites do these things with bad cards!

When we have great cards, we bet.

UTG with AA? lets bet big. IT cant be AA because they would have slow-played.

Flopped a set/flush? lets lead right out... "they cant have a set/flush draw because they would not bet it that way"

I wont go on, but I hope that you will see the shift, in the way that ekky has seen the shift, and amend your game accordingly.

Once the shift is complete.......... there will be a new wave of "books".. telling you things that ekky has told you here already.

When the books come out, ekky will already be establishing a formula to beat the masses, and cause a new shift.

Join the movement! Join Ekky

cya nara

ismisus
05-12-2005, 08:03 AM
no one reads books, no one knows anything. All I have to do is to catch that Ace

PrayingMantis
05-12-2005, 08:15 AM
Hmmm. Some of this is stupid, the rest is very boring. None of it is funny.

Just one:

[ QUOTE ]
Flopped a set/flush? lets lead right out... "they cant have a set/flush draw because they would not bet it that way"

[/ QUOTE ]

Ever heard of "Super System"? First published in 1978, under the title "How I made over $1M Playing Poker", if I'm not mistaken? Sold like 789552534 copies since? Good morning my friend.

BTW, your reference to Kuhn is not relevant. The general idea of adaptation in poker is quite banal, and has very little to do with Kuhn's ideas with regard to scientific revolutions.

schwza
05-12-2005, 10:13 AM
hey, next time you have something to say, could you go more out of your way to make it painful to read? thanks.

RavenJackson
05-12-2005, 10:55 AM
Referring to yourself in the 3rd person is annoying.

This is the "does he know what I know he knows" line of thinking and it presumes a level of skill that you do not see 95% of the time on-line.

That being said, recently I have selectively called a raise with selective "junk" [suited connectors or 1 gappers] with a deep stack just to see if the flop hits. I simply kiss those chips goodbye if I miss; however, so far this has been a +EV play for me [keeping in mind I do not do it very often and the variance may not have kicked in] as the pay-out is huge if I flop a big hand, as the raiser will generally bet aggressively with his unimproved overpair [as he assumes he has narrowed your range of hands to exclude the possible straight or set].

The discipline in this play is to be very selective when you use it, to lay down your hand if the flop hits you but not hard enough and to suffer criticism for calling a raise with an inferior hand.