PDA

View Full Version : Almost Perfect

09-03-2001, 05:56 PM
Just got back from Boston, where I saw two awesome games; 4 awesome starting pitching performances. Pedro was unhittable, even without his best stuff. He barely cracked 90 on the gun. O. Hernandez pitched 8 great innings, after yielding a solo shot to Nixon to lead off the game.

The second game. Most of you probably saw or at least heard about this one. Cone was awesome: 8 2/3 , 5 hits no earned runs. Once again the Bosox fielding hurt them, the key error coming in the 9th.

What can be said about Mussina? 26 up, 26 down. He had them flailing. Everett looked like dead meat, but somehow managed a single to end Mussina's quest for immortality.

This was my first trip to Fenway and for the most part it was awesome. What a beautifule place to watch a ballgame. Of course the seats were way too small, and hard with no legroom. There was a pole blocking my view at both games. Still I recommend the trip to anyone who can go.

Danny

09-03-2001, 06:39 PM
Last night's game (Mussina vs. Cone) was one of the greatest games I've ever seen. The way both pitchers worked, the fact that Cone was pitching against the Yankees, the tension of both the 0-0 score and the perfect game going, the desperation of the Red Sox trying not only to stay alive this year, but to exorcise so many years worth of demons, wow, what a game. With two strikes on Everett, ESPN showed Torre and he looked tenser than I've ever seen him.

I've never been to Fenway, I'm jealous. I had an opportunity to spend 3 days in Boston last year, but the Sox were out of town. Loved the city.

For those of you who don't like baseball, you're really missing something special.

Yankees pulled out another one today. In Boston, they scored exactly zero earned runs off the 3 Red Sox starters and won all three games; today they were down 5-2 in the 7th and scored in the 7th, 8th and 9th to win. Let's not annoint the Mariners quite yet.