PDA

View Full Version : I have AA but just call down postflop . . .

Nick C
05-12-2005, 01:29 AM
. . . and I'm not even sure that was worth doing.

I had only been at the table for an orbit or two. It seemed aggressive. I wasn't sure yet whether it was tight or loose or somewhere in between.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

<font color="#0000FF">So far, so good.</font>

Flop: (17.33 SB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

<font color="#0000FF">After MP2 raised the flop, I planned to wait and pop the turn. But then (predictably?) the flop got capped anyway, and I wondered what I was up against.</font>

Turn: (14.66 BB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

<font color="#0000FF">Here I cold-called, planning to fold if it came back to me capped. JJ for UTG seemed possible, but I was more worried about MP2 at this point. I thought MP2 might have a set. I was also worried UTG had AA just like I did and we were both drawing dead together.</font>

River: (20.66 BB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

<font color="#0000FF">Well, UTG finally slowed down, but this still seemed like a huge crying call. I was hoping UTG had a worse pocket pair and MP2 just had AJ or something.</font>

Final Pot: 23.66 BB

Thoughts?

imported_leader
05-12-2005, 01:31 AM
3-betting the flop makes your life easier.

Nick C
05-12-2005, 01:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
3-betting the flop makes your life easier.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe. If UTG caps and MP2 calls, what's your turn plan?

If UTG just calls but then MP2 caps, what's your turn plan?

(One of those two those most likely would have happened, I think.)

wrto4556
05-12-2005, 01:41 AM
I like the flop play (It gives you good info and the chance to pop the turn), but I'd give serious consideration to folding the turn for 2BB. You got good info on the flop...

I don't want to fold, though. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Willluck
05-12-2005, 01:44 AM
I don't like calling two on the turn...looks like you are up against a set or at least 2-pair. I think it is a toss up between a crying call or crying fold.

ArturiusX
05-12-2005, 01:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I like the flop play (It gives you good info and the chance to pop the turn), but I'd give serious consideration to folding the turn for 2BB. You got good info on the flop...

I don't want to fold, though. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

This board isn't scary enough to fold just yet.

damaniac
05-12-2005, 02:22 AM
I am normally a big advocate of waiting for the turn (in the right situations) but I think in general once the raising war begins, you may as well join the party. You're really not going to ever get a better chance to protect your hand then you have now, you've already shown strength and the pot is big so I don't see any point in deception.

I also think the turn is a fold. You're getting at best 18:2 or so to hit the river. Your best scenario is that UTG has KK/QQ and MP has J9. Other than that, you probably are drawing to 2 outs, and the turn might be 3-bet or capped. Getting to showdown at that point is about 20:3 depending on if there is a re-raise or not. I don't think the combined chances of you still being ahead, catching up, and having to call more bets justify a turn/river call down.

elindauer
05-12-2005, 02:43 AM
Hi Nick,

Your logic is right on here. I think you have to call the turn with your aces in the hopes that MP2 is overplaying top pair or that you draw out on two pair. In light of this, I wonder if you'd be better off 3-betting (!) the turn. Calling and going for the overcall from the EP KK normally looks good, but...

- you're giving KK the right odds to draw (wow)
- if you knock out AA, you could save yourself the whole pot

Those are pretty compelling. On the other hand, there's a good chance you are behind and don't want to charge yourself too much to find out. Tough call. Your hand will look a lot like JJ when you 3-bet the turn though, so you may end up losing the same amount when you are behind a set and don't fill up.

Easy call on the river.

Good luck.
Eric

Nick C
05-18-2005, 06:31 AM
Thanks for the responses. I've had work to do at my actual job this past week and have had to neglect my hobby (and as a result I had to go way back to find this thread).

Anyway, I'm glad to hear my play wasn't wretched.

UTG had K /images/graemlins/spade.gif K /images/graemlins/club.gif. MP2 had J /images/graemlins/heart.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif and took the pot.

So at least I had a much better draw than UTG . . .