PDA

View Full Version : Its Thanksgiving - and we have much to be thanful for

Clarkmeister
11-28-2002, 07:37 AM
All of our recent debates about the Middle East, terrorism, taxes and movies should remind us just how much we have to be thankful for.

Unlike most of the world, we are in a country where we are free to debate these ideas. Free from living our lives in day to day fear. Free from oppressive governments or religious beliefs that strip us of choice. And, oh yeah, free to see movies whether they suck or not, are French or not, and are controversial or not. Try filming a "The Last Temptation of Muhammed" and showing it in Nigeria.

Its trite, but honestly: We are all extremely lucky and have much to be thankful for.

HDPM
11-28-2002, 08:25 AM
"Its trite, but honestly: We are all extremely lucky and have much to be thankful for."

Much to be thankful for, but its not all luck. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Life is like poker to some degree.

scalf
11-28-2002, 08:30 AM
/forums/images/icons/wink.gif eternal vigalence is the price of freedom...gl /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

Clarkmeister
11-28-2002, 09:35 AM
Will you ever in your life experience a more lucky event than being born in this country?

HDPM
11-28-2002, 10:03 AM
Already have. Met my wife. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Certainly we are lucky to a degree, but it's no accident we are "luckier" than some other places. A lot of people worked hard to make the luck we enjoy. And we do our part too.

HDPM
11-28-2002, 10:18 AM
Regarding American birth. My American citizenship is the most valuable thing I could have aside from family, etc... I love this country. But despite the fact that I am not well-traveled or a big internationalist, I feel comfortable enough with myself and other people that I feel confident I could make a life in a variety of places. Sure, if I were born in a shithole village somewhere backwards with awful religious beliefs things would be bad. But I could imagine getting out of all kinds of places and making a life somewhere else too. And that's exactly what my great-grandfather and grandfather did when things got too bad where they were and came here. Yes, this is the best of countries, but you make a lot of your own luck in this life, wherever you happen to be born.