i call with live pocket Js and a 9
bring in gets an A on 4th and bets 10
all calls to me, i call, concerned about possible set, but theres another A out
i decide if i dont improve on 5th im gone
i hit another J on 5th
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif
but the 2d Ac hit As /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
so the player improved and forced me and a couple others to stay
after 6th it was down to 3 of us, the bring in, a mad scientist trying to create a straight, and me
7th saw a check from the As, a bet from the scientist, and a raise from me
As fold, straight calls,Js full pulls in 4 or 500 clams /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
the bets and who won are not important for this story i guess, it was just weird to me that somebody makes the open As and gives away their hand
anybody ever seen such a thing?

Andy B
11-28-2002, 08:51 AM
Raise fifth street. Apart from that, I don't know what you're asking.

11-28-2002, 09:08 AM
like i said, i never had seen such an occasion, was asking if youve all come across it
the betting wasnt a concern

Dynasty
11-28-2002, 01:22 PM
What's so unusual about this? What's the extraordinary occasion that happened which you've never seen before?

12-01-2002, 06:58 AM
I think you have to ask yourself which is more likely, his having a set on fifth st., or two pair. He could have a set, I mean, it happens. But I think it much more likely that he has two pair, especially with a dead Ace.

I think you have to raise on fifth. If you get re-raised, cap it. The vast majority of stud players can't let go of Aces-up period, and will overplay their hand. The mad scientist is already in for a big bet, so he's definitely not gonna fold to one or two more bets. If the mad scientist is on a transparent straight draw, you and the bring-in need to grind him into dust. That's where you make your money in stud, with sets improving to full houses vs. opponnents drawing to straights and flushes.

On sixth, keep raising unless he catches the case Ace.

On the river, if you don't improve call if the mad scientist calls. If he folds, raise.

All in all, I think you lost a lot of bets here. I mean, a lot. The thing to remember in these situations, where you spike a set with a wired pair versus an opponent's late pair, is that your opponent will continue to raise and reraise you with with the LOSING HAND. Don't let him back you off the winning hand. Be aggressive and take what's yours.