PDA

View Full Version : This is why you do not get cute with AA in small stakes games

Percula
05-12-2005, 12:38 AM
FullTilt 0.10/0.25 $25 max buy-in.

9 Handed, table recently busted out a LAG after his 5th or 6th rebuy. The table was pretty LAG'y and tricky trying to get a piece of the super fish, but had tightened up quite a bit since he bailed out.

The key players...

Small fish ~$10 CO
Hero in the BB ~$45
Mr Cute (a fairly good player) UTG ~$45

Mr. Cute limps for $0.25, all fold to CO who limps, SB folds and I check with 87o, who am I not to see a free flop.

Flop K87...

I check, UTG bets 1.25, CO calls, I raise to 6.25, UTG calls after some stalling, and CO pushes AI, I call as does UTG.

Turn 7...

I quickly check, UTG pushes, I call.

CO tables KQo
UTG tables AA

The point... I would have folded in a heart beat to a good sized raise from UTG, somewhere from 4-5 times the BB. So instead of UTG winning a nice $10 pot from the fish, he got cute and let me see a free flop, then over played them costing him all of his profit from the super fish earlier.

the machine
05-12-2005, 12:56 AM
his limp wasnt intended to let you see a free flop or get cute, it was intended to call a raise or reraise. you were a huge underdog and got really lucky to pick up that hand at that time. his only problem was he fell in love with aa and couldnt muck it but its not a real scarry flop id play it strong as well expecting to see kq kj k10. he was going for a big trap and had just as many outs on the flop as you did pre flop. id check and muck the hand in an instant on the turn though with aa that is.

joewatch
05-12-2005, 02:05 AM
Believe me, this happens ALL the time in SS NLHE.

jkkkk
05-12-2005, 05:12 AM
what is with slow playing aces..

anyone that limps with this hand deserves to get busted.

JaBlue
05-12-2005, 05:14 AM
no, they are going for a limp-reraise. Its a common play. That said, I never do it for other reasons than the fear of having it not raised behind.

jkkkk
05-12-2005, 05:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
no, they are going for a limp-reraise. Its a common play. That said, I never do it for other reasons than the fear of having it not raised behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

precisely, i don't mind limp re-raising if i'm on a super LAG table utg, but try that crap on a normal passive party table and your going to get busted enough times.

jkkkk
05-12-2005, 05:27 AM
hah forgive me, i didnt notice 'UTG' tables AA'

TheWorstPlayer
05-12-2005, 05:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The point... I would have folded in a heart beat to a good sized raise from UTG, somewhere from 4-5 times the BB. So instead of UTG winning a nice $10 pot from the fish, he got cute and let me see a free flop, then over played them costing him all of his profit from the super fish earlier.

[/ QUOTE ]
Typical results-based analysis. If he had KK on this hand, would you be saying "See? If he had raised, I would have folded and he would have just stolen the blinds, but since he limped, I hit an expensive second best hand and donated my whole stack! What a brilliant play!" Limping is bad in these games, but it has nothing to do with this hand. It is bad because these tables are passive preflop so limp/re-raising has a high failure rate and people overplay a lot of hands postflop so you can never feel too confident in folding your AA postflop since they could be overplaying a worse hand like TPTK so you are giving great implied odds. Also, people make loose calls of raises preflop all the time, so there is no need to get tricky. LRRing AA punishes preflop aggressiveness, but PP opponents have the flaw of passivity and looseness generally, not over-aggressiveness, so you should play your hands accordingly.