PDA

View Full Version : Wine Question

theBruiser500
05-12-2005, 12:32 AM
I got 2 bottles of wine a couple weeks ago, I had one a few days ago and it was good. Now I'm having some of the 2nd one and it tastes really bitter and bad and I don't like it. I didn't refridgate it, hm, don' tknow what is going on here, any ideas?

PhatTBoll
05-12-2005, 12:40 AM
It's probably oxidized. Put the cork back in it and take it back to the store. They should replace it.

theBruiser500
05-12-2005, 12:43 AM
what does that mean

B Dids
05-12-2005, 12:44 AM
I have this problem too, it's called "I think most wine tastes like crap, especially white wine".

I found a solution.

http://www.bdids.com/images/gin_tonic.jpg

(although I feel like I'll never be a real grownup until I can enjoy wine).

chesspain
05-12-2005, 12:47 AM
Reads would be helpful...meaning:

1) Red or White?
2) Type of wine?
3) Was the second bottle the same type as the first?

PhatTBoll
05-12-2005, 12:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
what does that mean

[/ QUOTE ]

The cork didn't form a perfect seal, letting in air which spoiled the wine over time. Not refridgerating it had nothing to do with it.

Rhone
05-12-2005, 12:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I got 2 bottles of wine a couple weeks ago, I had one a few days ago and it was good. Now I'm having some of the 2nd one and it tastes really bitter and bad and I don't like it. I didn't refridgate it, hm, don' tknow what is going on here, any ideas?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, you mean, you got two bottles of the same wine and one tasted very different from the other? And the second one was sealed up until you just opened it?

If that's the case, the second bottle is probably corked. All that means is there's a (harmless) fungus or something that's on the inside of the cork that makes the wine taste and smell kind of funky. Happens with maybe 5-10% of bottles. I doubt storage conditions explain it, unless the second bottle was sitting in the sun at 100 degrees or something...

J.A.Sucker
05-12-2005, 01:00 AM
If your house/apartment is subject to lots of heat and large temperature fluctuations, then the wine can spoil. This is usually not the case in such a short period of time, but it can happen. More likely is that the wine was "corked" which means that the cork didn't seal the bottle correctly and the wine has turned into vinegar. It happens, and a good store will often take it back if it's recently purchased. If you get into wine, which will likely happen if you move to Cali, then get a wine cave. It looks like a mini fridge, and it stores the wine at the right temperature, a must if you get some nice wine. You can get them for about 150 bucks, which sounds like a lot until you lose 5 bottles of wine to heat.

Rhone
05-12-2005, 01:05 AM
this is not what corked means.

link (http://www.tainted-wine.com/html/corked_wine.html)

nolanfan34
05-12-2005, 01:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You can get them for about 150 bucks, which sounds like a lot until you lose 5 bottles of wine to heat.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a great point.

daryn
05-12-2005, 01:11 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
I have this problem too, it's called "I think most wine tastes like crap, especially white wine".

I found a solution.

http://www.bdids.com/images/gin_tonic.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

i feel like i'll never be an old man until i can enjoy gin and tonic /images/graemlins/grin.gif

theBruiser500
05-12-2005, 02:35 AM
k thanks guys. jasucker you will have to help me out, i want to be really classy and get classy wine stuff you need to tell me what to do

rmarotti
05-12-2005, 06:14 AM
Sounds like you bought one good bottle of wine and one sucky bottle of wine.

philharmonic
05-12-2005, 06:19 AM
Answer: You bought two bottles of Charles Shaw Merlot. The first was good because you were wasted on Bacardi 151 and trying to get laid. The second was bad because you spent $2 on a bottle of wine. This is why all truth is relative.

Skjonne
05-12-2005, 06:19 AM
Beer &gt; Wine

You're welcome.

rmarotti
05-12-2005, 06:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Answer: You bought two bottles of Charles Shaw Merlot. The first was good because you were wasted on Bacardi 151 and trying to get laid. The second was bad because you spent $2 on a bottle of wine. This is why all truth is relative.

[/ QUOTE ]

Post of the day?

rmarotti
05-12-2005, 06:20 AM
Please die.

philharmonic
05-12-2005, 06:23 AM
And daryn? Don't dis the philharmonic. I enjoy a good bottle of Pauillac just like the rest of you, but lay off. And why are you afraid? Does the word "tonic" remind you of epsom salt?

Skjonne
05-12-2005, 07:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Please die.

[/ QUOTE ]

No I won't

rmarotti
05-12-2005, 07:32 AM
OK. That's fair. Just change your retarded opinion about alcoholic beverages instead.

peachy
05-12-2005, 07:32 AM
is it red or white win??

red u dont refridge white u do....

Skjonne
05-12-2005, 07:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
OK. That's fair. Just change your retarded opinion about alcoholic beverages instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Negative Sir /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Stupendous_Man
05-12-2005, 09:46 AM
Definitely need more information to help in determining what went wrong. As others have pointed out, if you bought 2 bottles of the exct same stuff, then the 2nd one is probably corked and a store worth continuing to buy from should exchange it.

A couple of other good points were made. If you "get into" drinking wine and prefer red, then invest in a storage unit to keep the reds at "room temperature". Room temp does NOT mean the 75-80 degrees many people keep it where they live. Nor should it go in your fridge.

Check out Wine Spectator's web site for some good information.

Rhone
05-12-2005, 10:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Definitely need more information to help in determining what went wrong. As others have pointed out, if you bought 2 bottles of the exct same stuff, then the 2nd one is probably corked and a store worth continuing to buy from should exchange it.

A couple of other good points were made. If you "get into" drinking wine and prefer red, then invest in a storage unit to keep the reds at "room temperature". Room temp does NOT mean the 75-80 degrees many people keep it where they live. Nor should it go in your fridge.

Check out Wine Spectator's web site for some good information.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those temperature and humidity controlled wine storage units are great, but I should point out that most people have no use for them at all. If you buy a bottle of wine and keep it around (true) room temperature for a few weeks, or even a few months, before drinking it, nothing bad is going to happen!

What you really need proper conditions for is aging wine, and very few people do this, and very few bottles of wine are worth even trying to age.

People always think there's something tricky or sophisticated about enjoying wine, or that it's so delicate you can easily ruin it. There isn't, and it's not. Relax, wine is just another beverage. If you like it, buy what you like a few bottles at a time, and just make sure they don't get really hot...that's the only thing. And use vacuvin or empty 375 ml bottles for what you have left over after you drink it.

HDPM
05-12-2005, 11:46 AM
I have one, but only can keep a few cases. I think it said it was 60 bottles, but that seems like a tight fit. I am starting to get more cases in and am thinking of getting something that will hold plenty. I doubt I'll ever be able to have a huge collection, but I'd like to be able to have several cases of stuff aging. Top cabs or decent bordeaux that need a few years. Anybody have experience in big units that hold maybe 500 or more bottles? I don't have the option of turning a room into a cellar, but if we ever built a house I would have a cellar built. Until then I need a bigger self contained thing.

tpir90036
05-12-2005, 11:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I found a solution.

[/ QUOTE ]

i feel like i'll never be an old man until i can enjoy gin and tonic /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Just try a few Sapphire (http://www.bombaysapphire.com/) and tonics... you will be old in no time /images/graemlins/wink.gif

sfer
05-12-2005, 11:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have one, but only can keep a few cases. I think it said it was 60 bottles, but that seems like a tight fit. I am starting to get more cases in and am thinking of getting something that will hold plenty. I doubt I'll ever be able to have a huge collection, but I'd like to be able to have several cases of stuff aging. Top cabs or decent bordeaux that need a few years. Anybody have experience in big units that hold maybe 500 or more bottles? I don't have the option of turning a room into a cellar, but if we ever built a house I would have a cellar built. Until then I need a bigger self contained thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Every large metropolitan area has temperature controlled storage specifically aimed at wine collectors. The Bay Area has 4 that I know of, and I was very happy with the one I used.

Stupendous_Man
05-12-2005, 12:04 PM
Rhone, I agree with your comments. Most people aren't trying/wanting to age their wine. They're wanting to consume it! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

IMO, there is a huge difference in enjoyment of wine when drinking it at proper temperatures vs. what most people think of room temperature. Depending on what temp you store your wine and the temp you keep your "house", you could have ~20 degree difference.

I agree, relax and enjoy wine. It's not fragile and going to break!

HDPM
05-12-2005, 12:06 PM
"Every large metropolitan area..."

That's my problem. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

But the dining room isn't used much. I need something bigger.

Rhone
05-12-2005, 12:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
IMO, there is a huge difference in enjoyment of wine when drinking it at proper temperatures vs. what most people think of room temperature. Depending on what temp you store your wine and the temp you keep your "house", you could have ~20 degree difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely, no question. But if your red is, say, 10 degrees warmer than it should be because your apartment is warm, you can just stick it in the fridge for a few minutes and it will be great...

Rhone
05-12-2005, 12:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My only advice is measure your space first! Some friends bought a huge, super expensive unit, and when it arrived, they couldn't get it inside their condo, and had to return it.

Rhone

P.S. Though I'm sure you're smarter than these friends... /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Stupendous_Man
05-12-2005, 12:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Never tried storing that many bottles. Would love to get to the point where I could! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif Need more space and $! /images/graemlins/blush.gif With 500 bottles, you may want to consider looking into storage facilities that have the ability to store wine.

A number of years ago WS had an issue that was dedicated to cellars. Some damn cool ones there. 1 couple bought an old bank building and converted the vault into their cellar!

Rhone
05-12-2005, 12:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Every large metropolitan area has temperature controlled storage specifically aimed at wine collectors. The Bay Area has 4 that I know of, and I was very happy with the one I used.

[/ QUOTE ]

How much do you pay?

sfer
05-12-2005, 12:15 PM
A largish locker that easily held the 20+ cases I had, roughly $110/month.

sfer
05-12-2005, 12:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Every large metropolitan area..."

That's my problem. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

But the dining room isn't used much. I need something bigger.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well sir, it looks like you're building. I used to hang out here (http://www.westcoastwine.net/) a lot. They're a pretty helpful bunch.

on_thg
05-12-2005, 12:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
People always think there's something tricky or sophisticated about enjoying wine, or that it's so delicate you can easily ruin it. There isn't, and it's not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Translation: Just buy the box kind, it tastes goot.

IndieMatty
05-12-2005, 12:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so not rock and roll.

You going to Built to Spill tonight?

Rhone
05-12-2005, 12:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
People always think there's something tricky or sophisticated about enjoying wine, or that it's so delicate you can easily ruin it. There isn't, and it's not.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh God, no.

Stupendous_Man
05-12-2005, 12:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Next, we'll have people recommending MD 20/20 and Boone's Farm!

sfer
05-12-2005, 01:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so not rock and roll.

You going to Built to Spill tonight?

[/ QUOTE ]

Gonna have to miss them. Spoon gave a free one at Virgin in USQ on Tues. I missed that too.