PDA

View Full Version : c/r with trips - is this correct or wrong?

Maurader1
05-12-2005, 12:06 AM
MP2: very loose preflop(50%), bets with nothing when nobody shows aggression, slow plays monsters like KK

MP3: slightly loose (25%), and not much of a read postflop

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, MP3 calls, Hero calls, BB folds, MP1 calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls.

River: (9.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls.

Final Pot: 11.50 BB

Should I have bet the flop? I had planned on c/r MP2, but I chickened out when MP3 also called. I think I would have given up this hand on the turn if a blank fell.

As it were, do you like the check raise given the read on MP2 and the caller in between?

aK13
05-12-2005, 12:19 AM
5 players in a 5 SB pot...I'd be tempted to just fold the flop. Either that or raise to knock out everyone else, although no position blows.

SoftcoreRevolt
05-12-2005, 12:43 AM
If he didn't have those backdoor flush possibilities I'd say fold, with it and the fact that the board is rainbow, and the ace should provide action if he complete a draw improving his implied odds, a call is justified.

Maurader1
05-12-2005, 12:58 AM
with this particular opponent tho, I don't think my implied odds would be HUGE, even if I hit a back door flush...I can't really justify calling, except I wasn't ready to believe anyone had an A. I think I should have raised in this case to get out the people behind me who might be drawing to a K...then again, they'd be drawing to 3 outs if I was indeed ahead at this point, so maybe letting them call is a better option? &lt;confused&gt;

ArturiusX
05-12-2005, 01:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
5 players in a 5 SB pot...I'd be tempted to just fold the flop. Either that or raise to knock out everyone else, although no position blows.

[/ QUOTE ]

We've got 6.5 outs, and we could easily have the best hand, why are we folding?

Maurader1
05-12-2005, 01:37 AM
so would you suggest calling or raising in this spot?

ArturiusX
05-12-2005, 02:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
so would you suggest calling or raising in this spot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Both are close, I'd go with raise though, after mp2 bet. If it was an earlier position player, I'd only call.

Maurader1
05-12-2005, 02:19 AM
would have probably raised to get it HU with the crazy if mp3 didn't call in between

milesdyson
05-12-2005, 02:30 AM
I like how you played this hand. If MP3 hadn't called the flop, I could go for a check raise. If the field were smaller, I would like to bet this flop.

There are 10/images/graemlins/club.gifs, 3 eights, and 2 queens that we want to see on the turn - plus we may have the best hand. We're seeing the turn here unless it's two cold on the flop.

Maurader1
05-12-2005, 02:35 AM
wow maybe I actually did something right for a change =)

still working on making good decisions, paying attention and making reads on the players and on the hands they could have...

@bsolute_luck
05-12-2005, 05:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
MP2: very loose preflop(50%), bets with nothing when nobody shows aggression, slow plays monsters like KK

[/ QUOTE ]

thank you for the read. this is a great read and i'm very happy to finally have someone put something up besides "87/4/1.3" /images/graemlins/mad.gif

if MP3 hadn't called, you could raise flop to get HU. and you have plenty of outs to continue. B-E-A-Uoootiful turn and c/r /images/graemlins/laugh.gif nice played IMHO.

Wally Weeks
05-12-2005, 06:29 AM
Nice hand. You made a good call on the flop and check-raise on the turn.

When attempting a check raise, you sometimes have to consider whether or not you want overcalls from the opponents sandwitched between the bet and check raise (i.e. those opponents that have to call two bets cold). If the most likely outcome of the check raise is of breakeven profit (on that particular round of betting), it's often worth attempting. Why? Because there is still the chance that someone is dumb enough to cold call, even if it's remote. Yes, people are that bad at poker sometimes and chase draws to the river by calling two or more bets cold to see the next card. It's also worth noting how often particular opponents are willing to cold call on that particular round of betting.

Wally

deepsquat
05-12-2005, 07:26 AM
What the hell was MP3 calling down with?

Nice hand btw. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Maurader1
05-12-2005, 01:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What the hell was MP3 calling down with?

Nice hand btw. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

A4o and has a permanent spot as my best buddy