stanky
05-11-2005, 11:42 PM
WTF?? E channel just reported it.

The Dude
05-11-2005, 11:43 PM
What did they say it was for?

stanky
05-11-2005, 11:45 PM
They just said that he checked himself in and that it's in Africa or south Africa...not sure. This isn't April 1 right?

The Dude
05-11-2005, 11:50 PM
It would be a great setup for a string of jokes on his show!

jnalpak
05-11-2005, 11:51 PM
this is getting sad...is this guy all bugged out from the pot or the has gone totally mental because he shot his load on two seasons and has nothing to show for it now that he makes the big bucks

linky (http://msnbc.msn.com/id/7821711/)

i liked him bf the show, i hope he doesnt go all jackson pollack

PoBoy321
05-11-2005, 11:52 PM
I heard the same thing, although I didn't see it reported. That sucks, although it does explain why they halted production on season 3.

stanky
05-11-2005, 11:52 PM
here's alink to the E Online article

Chappelle in Psych Ward (http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,16535,00.html)

-Pete

kerssens
05-11-2005, 11:54 PM
What's goin on in the world? First we got people on here committing suicide and now this?

TStoneMBD
05-12-2005, 12:02 AM
wow this really surprises me. chappelle is a good guy. i hope he pulls through.

i didnt think he was doing drugs, and the end of the article verifies this according to his friends. his sudden mental instability is very surprising.

50 million dollar contract??? at least when he comes out hell have a new brain implant made predominantly of platinum bling bling.

stanky
05-12-2005, 12:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
50 million dollar contract??? at least when he comes out hell have a new brain implant made predominantly of platinum bling bling.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the fifty mil was for 2 full seasons, so far it sounds like he's barely done five new episodes.

-Pete

gumpzilla
05-12-2005, 12:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]

i didnt think he was doing drugs, and the end of the article verifies this according to his friends. his sudden mental instability is very surprising.

[/ QUOTE ]

Listening to the commentary track from Season One, it doesn't surprise me all that much. He makes putting the show together sound like an incredible slog, and I'm sure it is, particularly given the standards that he's set for himself. I also think he's been touring. Burnout seems like a pretty common thing to happen in these situations.

daryn
05-12-2005, 01:17 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the fifty mil was for 2 full seasons, so far it sounds like he's barely done five new episodes.

-Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

but if he is willing to make them he will still get paid.. if comedy central cancels it's not like he doesn't get paid, right?

stanky
05-12-2005, 01:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

but if he is willing to make them he will still get paid.. if comedy central cancels it's not like he doesn't get paid, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

"Chappelle's new contract reportedly includes a movie deal, a TV production gig and a big slice of DVD sales."---it sounds like the contract has many large words that I woundn't know how to began to pronounce. But if he stops showing up to the set I doubt he'll get all the cash.

-Pete

Blarg
05-12-2005, 01:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
They just said that he checked himself in and that it's in Africa or south Africa...not sure. This isn't April 1 right?

[/ QUOTE ]

A black guy getting psychiatric treatment in South Africa? Isn't that what they call siccing a dog on your groin?

PokerGodess
05-12-2005, 02:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sure that there are dates/deadlines in the contract that Chappelle has missed and he is probably technically in breach of contract. I am pretty sure that they will not cancel the show (which will generate well more than 50m in revenue) if they don't have to and thus it is in everybody's best interest that he gets healthy and goes back to work.

Unfortunately even if his drug use was not the primary cause of the breakdown it was at least an influence (science today says mental health is caused by chemical imbalances in the body, drugs change your chemical makeup) and I am sure that if he is getting good therapy he is being told to get on the wagon (or is it off the wagon?)

It is my contention that a sober Chapelle will not be nearly as funny as a drunk/stoned/yipped up Chapelle so even if he gets better this might be the end...

Jazza
05-12-2005, 02:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It is my contention that a sober Chapelle will not be nearly as funny as a drunk/stoned/yipped up Chapelle so even if he gets better this might be the end...

[/ QUOTE ]

this could be true, sadly it might have been the case for Chris Farley also

PokerGodess
05-12-2005, 03:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if we can make that inference about Farley because, unless I am mistaken, he was never sober...

(correct me if im wrong... did he ever try rehab?)

PoBoy321
05-12-2005, 03:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as I know, he never did. I think he was just a hilarious man with a lot of problems.

KDawgCometh
05-12-2005, 03:14 AM
he has also become a little bitter about the show too. He makes it becasue its a creative output for him, but at the sma etime, many new "fans" are taking things the wrong way. He now also gets no privacy and really just wants to raise his kids and do comedy. To me it sounds like a nervous breakdown, or a publicity stunt

PokerGodess
05-12-2005, 03:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
he has also become a little bitter about the show too. He makes it becasue its a creative output for him, but at the sma etime, many new "fans" are taking things the wrong way. He now also gets no privacy and really just wants to raise his kids and do comedy. To me it sounds like a nervous breakdown, or a publicity stunt

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't realize he has kids, thats sad. (not that DC is their dad - thats awesome, but that their dad went nuts and the whole world heard about it - that sucks)

I have a feeling that this is not a publicity stunt (why would he need it, what sense would that make?) and is a drug induced breakdown.

I also thing (and this might be a big logical jump) that the reason he went to South Africa for help is because he wanted to try to keep things private... That too is sad.

billyjex
05-12-2005, 03:19 AM
i havent read any responses yet, but i would bet my whole bankroll that this is just a publicity stunt.

well, after reading more, this might be true, so i take back my bankroll comment.

grandgnu
05-12-2005, 07:22 AM
I think it's for publicity purposes as well. Kinda like when Ashton Kutcher stopped his show after the 1st season because everyone was on to him, allowed him to keep punking people.

I bet Chappele is going to turn this into a skit that is similar to making fun of Whitney Houston and Bobby Brown, and their issues with rehab.

JackWilson
05-12-2005, 09:09 AM
Why on earth would he book himself into a SOUTH AFRICAN institution? From what little I've seen, the ones here are pretty damn awful, I'm 99% sure he'd be able to find better help in the US. Seems strange. Only reason I can think of is him wanting to escape the public eye, but he clearly failed with that already.

Jazza
05-12-2005, 09:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if we can make that inference about Farley because, unless I am mistaken, he was never sober...

[/ QUOTE ]

true, but i say it might have been becaue iv'e heard stories like when he made tommy boy he had to drink 10-15 cups of coffee in the morning just to get hyped up enough to do some scenes

jnalpak
05-15-2005, 10:32 AM
WHAT???

Chappelle goes on record with Time Magazine that he ain't smokin crack or in mental institute...

HIS DEFENSE (http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1061415,00.html)