PDA

View Full Version : 97s river decision

mr pink
05-11-2005, 09:54 PM
sb is a TAG
mp2 is unknown but has yet to get out of line

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (6 SB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (9 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, SB calls.

i'm guessing the turn bet was standard?

River: (12 BB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero ????

who likes bet/fold, who likes bet/call, who likes check/call, who likes check/fold?

brazilio
05-11-2005, 10:00 PM
Bet/call already, top pair or better is going to pay you off every time, but they won't bet out. SB might have a J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, but he missed a golden opportunity to checkraise that turn if he's got A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, so we're good enough here to bet/call.

cockandbull
05-11-2005, 10:00 PM
I'm betting...depends on the action back to me whether i call a raise.

Just guessing, i think sb probably has a set/two pair and mp2 is an idiot calling with junk.

Etric
05-12-2005, 12:00 AM
When people play their hand that strongly on a monotone flop they usually either have a flush, a high suited card, or sometimes a set. Sets are no good this time, you have a flush, and the high suited card turned a flush. So I would check and see what the calling station MP2 does. He called an awful lot of bets on the flop and another on the turn. Check/call unless it is 2 back to you and then I'd check/fold.

Moozh
05-12-2005, 12:24 AM
Sometimes I feel that I should just change my name to 'Check-Call the River'. It seems like I'm always offering that advice when everyone else says bet. This is not one of those times. You have the 3rd nut flush and will be paid off by so many weaker hands, it's silly to list them all. Also, because the board is so scary, you won't have to fear a re-raise from just about any hand except for the A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Because of this, and the passive nature of your opponents, I disagree with Brazilio only in that I think you should fold to a raise on the river, but I don't think calling is that bad.

admiralfluff
05-12-2005, 12:35 AM
I hate would certainly hate to check fold this, but bet/folding is certainly better than check/calling IMO. I would expect to be called by winning hands a lot here, but not as much as losing hands that would call will check behind if you check.

mr pink
05-12-2005, 12:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You have the 3rd nut flush and will be paid off by so many weaker hands, it's silly to list them all.

[/ QUOTE ]

against just 2 opponents, 1 who check/raised then capped the flop and another who withstood all that heat... do you really think a lot of worse hands are calling me on this river?

Moozh
05-13-2005, 03:46 AM
You're right in that having two opponents instead of one definitely changes things. On a monotone flop, it's the callers that I find the most scary. More often than not, the raisers either have a high suited card or a strong non-flush hand. Because of this, heads-up I think bet and fold to a raise is straight-forward because you'll often get paid off by a strong non-flush hand making an annoyed desperation call (but you will only be raised by a high flush).

With two players (especially when one is calling), I can see how things might change a bit. Still, I think this is a situation where you can still bet and fold to a raise for two reasons. First, strong non-flush hands will call you down in desperation. Second, I would be very surprised if either of your opponents raised with a worse hand. Thus, you can put in a safe value bet without being worried about being pushed off the best hand. If you are ahead, you'll need to bet your hand to get any money on the river.