PDA

View Full Version : cordless phones and evesdropping

Rhone
05-11-2005, 07:13 PM
So what's the deal here? How concerned should I be with security using a cordless (land-line) phone? Can my neighbors pull my credit card numbers when I enter them in? Does it matter whether my phone is digital or analog? Are there other specific features in a cordless phone that make it more or less secure?

Thanks Ootiots,

Rhone

wonderwes
05-11-2005, 07:22 PM
When driving around my neighborhood, I pass one house where the guy has an enormous radio attena attached to the side of his house. Any cordless phone you have he could easily listen to from about a half of mile. This dude's tower can't be missed. You figure he has it installed for only a few reasons. Listening into on cordless phone traffic is easily that.

Rhone
05-11-2005, 07:23 PM
How would he find a particular signal out of the many that are out there?

Patrick del Poker Grande
05-11-2005, 07:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Adjust the dial? How do you pick out one particular radio station?

i wanna be me
05-11-2005, 08:27 PM
this absolutely happens:

short story - i was living in a small town doing some work one summer. i talked to my girlfriend (who was living elsewhere) nearly every day on the phone. the phone i used was a cordless. this one night the conversation got pretty steamy, but nothing really serious.

the next day this regular at the restaurant i worked at started talking really loud about the conversation on the phone i had the night before. he was sitting with 4 other regulars while he was talking about it. i didn't really know what to do. he was 50 years old and disgusting, but what he said was pretty embarassing for a waiter in the middle of a small restarurant - and would probably get around in this POS town.

soon after he proceeded to order a large pizza. so, loud enough so that everyone in the restaurant could hear, i said, "mike - cathy (his wife) said that 12 inches is 8 inches more than you're used to". being the hicks that they were, everyone jumped on top of him and made fun of him for the rest of the day (and i always heard about it until i left my job). i never heard about the phone calls again.

i talked to the opp (ontario police), and they said that they couldn't do anything about it - which was bullshit. the officer mentioned 2 separate people who DRIVE AROUND with a receiver in their van and listen to phone conversations.

since i wasn't going to be able to do anything, i bought a corded phone.

Rhone
05-11-2005, 08:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Adjust the dial? How do you pick out one particular radio station?

[/ QUOTE ]

touche. now, what can be done about it?