PDA

View Full Version : apparently i need help counting outs

irishpint
05-11-2005, 06:32 PM
How would you play this hand? Flop leaves me with middle pair, an overcard and a backdoor flush. I think the backdoor flush is worth 1.5, my kings are worth 3 and my 5's are worth 2. Leaving me with 6.5, right? or wrong...

Should I have bet the flop/taken control ever? Or was it ok to check/call to the showdown? When I flop a monster I know what to do. When I flop trash I know what to do. But when I flop a 5 outer, or middle pair I'm clueless.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Button folds, Hero calls, BB folds.

Turn: (3 BB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (5 BB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 7 BB

gvibes
05-11-2005, 06:51 PM
I fold the flop, but maybe I'm a nit.

Siegmund
05-11-2005, 06:54 PM
You might want to discount the /images/graemlins/spade.gifK since it puts a 3-flush on board. But the out-count is basically correct.

Question is, why did you call this down? if you have 6 outs you need to be getting 7:1 to call; on the flop it was 5:1 to you. Fold, unless you believe middle pair is a winning hand here a significant percentage of the time.

On the turn, your backdoor draw didn't come in, so you now have only 4-5 outs left. (If it HAD come in, you'd have 13-14 outs for seeing the river.) Now you need between 8:1 and 10:1 odds to call, and it is 4:1 to you. And if your opponent bet bottom pair, he's ahead of you now. Fold.

Same story on the river. You are unimproved. Do you believe your bottom pair is good 1/6th of the time to win this, vs an opponent who didnt raise preflop bets all three streets?
Is there ANY hand your opponent could be betting that you are beating? Two overcards and that's it.

deception5
05-11-2005, 06:56 PM
I'm not counting outs yet, I look at this as a made hand so I raise the flop. Second pair is a good hand in 6-max. If 3-bet I will likely call and check/fold the turn unimproved (depending on my opponent).

Shillx
05-11-2005, 06:58 PM
I would have bet the flop in this spot if I had the intention of calling a bet had I checked. Give yourself that extra way to win the pot.

Brad

ArturiusX
05-11-2005, 07:01 PM
I'd bet this everytime in 6max.

cmwck
05-11-2005, 07:03 PM
Bet the flop, and this hand plays differently.

Since you just check-called the flop, the decision now is whether to call or fold the turn. The pot is very small, and every river card is bad for you, except for your four outs and maybe a ten. So, without a read, and playing the hand like you did, I'd fold the turn.