PDA

View Full Version : Hate the Minraise

radioheadfan
05-11-2005, 06:05 PM
My only read on villian is that he's VPIP=24% and PFR=7%. I've been playing pretty tight at this table so far. Your action?

UTG+1 ($115.85)
MP1 ($48.70)
MP2 ($79.65)
MP3 ($38)
CO ($308.65)
Hero ($92.50)
SB ($30.80)
BB ($12.65)
UTG ($33.50)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls $1, MP3 calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $4, MP2 calls $4, MP3 folds.

Flop: ($16.50) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $15</font>, BB calls $7.65 (All-In), <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to $30</font>

xorbie
05-11-2005, 06:19 PM
This is kind of ugly, because its always one of two things:

He has TJ and doesn't believe you, or he he has a set. I would call here with position and play some poker.

radioheadfan
05-11-2005, 09:55 PM
bump

beset7
05-11-2005, 09:59 PM
To me, from a tight player, a min raise means one of two things (1) "f-ck you and your continuation bet--I have top pair so fold (2) I'm very strong and raising for value but want to be somewhat deceptive about it. The trick is to figure out which one of the two it is. Absent any reads I call and see the turn, planning to go to war on a blank. I would need some kind of read to give OP credit for strength. How many hands are those PT stats from?

nebben
05-11-2005, 10:03 PM
The problem I think with calling is that hes pushing any non diamond flop I think (I think he puts you on flush draw). So, if hes aggro, it could be a set or a pair, and its going to be played the same regardless. I think your move is on the flop, but I also can;t justify putting him in with an overpair. Im lost.... I think its a fold here...

radioheadfan
05-11-2005, 10:16 PM
PT stats were over 230 hands - so fairly indictative of his true values.

radioheadfan
05-11-2005, 11:21 PM
rebump

Publos Nemesis
05-11-2005, 11:42 PM
His minraise means that you are likely in trouble. If you just call, then what kind of turn are you looking for? He could easily have AJ of diamonds and trying to buy a free card. OTOH, he could have a set. The question for you is, are you willing to go broke with just an overpair?

radioheadfan
05-11-2005, 11:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He could easily have AJ of diamonds and trying to buy a free card.

[/ QUOTE ]

How exactly do you buy a free card out of position?

Publos Nemesis
05-11-2005, 11:48 PM
I think your only two options are to reraise all-in or fold. If you just call, then he will have to push the turn into you since he will have way less than the pot left in his stack. The problem if you push is that you will only be called by 4 hands: any of the 3 sets, and Ax of diamonds, of which you only want the Ax of diamonds (I am excluding the serious possibility that he has a straight draw, two pair, or outside straight flush draw which are also somewhat likely). IMO, I would fold to guy just based on his numbers. If he wins with AJ against the short stack then good for him. You can wait for a better opportunity to get your money in.

the machine
05-11-2005, 11:57 PM
sounds like a set, with the limp call pre flop and all those cards are pp that someone can have for a limp call. i dont see folding here though because he could have any pp or put you on slick and thinks it is a continuation bet from the pre flop raise with absolutely anything (qj j10 kj..... possibly qq (seen it before)) so you may be well ahead here. have you ever had kk preflop and just knew someone had aa but you had to call it. thats how id feel about this hand? outcome???

swolfe
05-12-2005, 12:02 AM
i'd call and see if he makes a real bet on the turn. i don't like to be pushed off with the minraise.

ethan
05-12-2005, 02:47 AM
Interesting post from limon in this mid-high thread (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=plnlpoker&amp;Number=2366553&amp;F orum=All_Forums&amp;Words=&amp;Searchpage=0&amp;Limit=25&amp;Main= 2364599&amp;Search=true&amp;where=bodysub&amp;Name=1242&amp;datera nge=1&amp;newerval=1&amp;newertype=w&amp;olderval=&amp;oldertype=&amp; bodyprev=1#Post2366553) talking about how he likes the check-minraise.

[ QUOTE ]
min. cr just brings out the worst in alot of players they call with exactly the hands you expect and raise with exactly the hands you expect...who could ask for anything more?

[/ QUOTE ]

Seemed relevant here since KK certainly falls into the range of "hands you'd expect to call". I don't use the check-minraise much, but given how much it annoys me when people do it against me I'm thinking of trying more of it.

DavidC
05-12-2005, 05:37 AM
What do you guys think of calling this, seeing if you can hit a diamond, and pushing?

radioheadfan
05-12-2005, 04:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What do you guys think of calling this, seeing if you can hit a diamond, and pushing?

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this if villian doesn't push in front of you on any flop card. Even if he fears the flush he may call b/c he has boat outs. Risky line in my opinion. I suppose this line also gives you the option of spiking a K too.

radioheadfan
05-12-2005, 04:10 PM
Based on his PT numbers and the fact that there was one guy already all in (so I'd be able to see villian's cards anyways for future info), I gave him credit for a set and mucked.

Turn was a T river was a Q. All-in short stack flips up KJo for the runner-runner straight, minraiser shows a set of nines.

I proceed to have a good laugh.