PDA

View Full Version : At what point do you throw away A high flush on non-paired board?

frozenhops
05-11-2005, 05:20 PM
Sorry for the messy conversion, but here is the setup.

Important Stacks:
Hero $85
Villian $45

In CO w/ A /images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I raise to $2 pf, BB calls.

(Pot $4) Flop J /images/graemlins/heart.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

check, I bet $2, BB calls

(Pot $8) Turn 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

BB Bets out $4, I call, hoping to trap

(Pot $16) River 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

BB goes Insta-allin for about $37 more. My roomate is standing behind me, I felt there was a large chance that he had the 10 /images/graemlins/heart.gif , my roomate felt like I was a huge pansy for not insta-calling. I ended up calling anyhow after deciding he has to have the straight flush 60% of the time just to make this -EV

The beat doesn't bother me, but I have been trying to think of how deep the stacks would have to be before I folded this hand, if ever. If the pot is $10, and the overbet is $50, or $100 do you throw this hand away? Or should you always call because he needs to show you the straigh flush over 50% of the time.

The answer changes, somewhat i'm assuming, if there is actually 2 cards that give straight flushes out there? Any insight or discussion would be very helpful, thanks.

radioheadfan
05-11-2005, 06:12 PM
If the board was 4 low hearts with no straight flush possible and you had the K of hearts how much would he have to bet before you fold? Only the A of hearts beats you. How is this any different?

Make a decision whether he has the nuts or not. The fact that the nuts in this case is a straight flush is irrelevant. Does he have the card the beats you or not? Would he make this play with the K of hearts?

nebben
05-11-2005, 06:32 PM
I don't think these situations are comparable. While there are the same number of cards that beat you, it is much harder to put the villain on a hand with a 10 /images/graemlins/heart.gif than it is to put him on a hand with the A /images/graemlins/heart.gif, because people are willing to call raises with more hands with Aces in them than with 10s. Stacks would have to be pretty deep for me to fold this, if he has a straight flush, i have to see it. Reads would be helpful here thoguh....

LuckYou777
05-11-2005, 06:37 PM
i think the passive way you played your hand post flop, and the insta-allin-overbet from the BB (no too-long pause followed by all in? no value bet against someone who hasnt shown much strength?)... theres really alot of information that points to him making a move here. and while thats not concrete, i don't think its anywhere near 60% that he has the straight flush.

i think your roomate was a bit harsh to call you a pussy for not instacalling. that said, i think he has the right idea.

call.