PDA

View Full Version : Villain pushes over my value bet

IHateKeithSmart
05-11-2005, 04:14 PM
Live mtt, 80ish entries, top 6 pay. About half the field left, I'm in 3rd orbit at my table with ~T12k (above average stack). Villain is in BB with ~T5k. Blinds are 100/200.

I have seen villain at tourneys before, and he seems to call too much (rarely see him raise pf). I have picked up a few pots but have not yet shown down a hand.

Folded to me in CO with T9s. I raise to 600 (standard opening $). Button, SB fold. BB thinks for a second and calls. T1300 pot.

Flop comes T92 with 2 spades. Checked to me, I bet 500, BB calls.

River 5. Check, I bet 750, he calls.

River 7. Check, I bet 1200, he instapushes.

Thoughts on my and villains play, and what he's holding?

bestcellar
05-11-2005, 04:31 PM
no flush? I guess he could have J8, 22 or 77, but it's also an insta-call.

frozenhops
05-11-2005, 04:32 PM
8,j is a possibility, certainly. He only had about 3000 left after that bet of 1200 on the river, so he would have to c/r this amount.

He also could have been slowplaying/ luckily caught a low set. By your description of him calling to much, this seems decently likely.

I don't think he would have a spade draw, as he would probably realize you weren't going to fold on the river with such great odds (5:1 ish and only a set or 8,j realistically beats you), however if he is a donk he might think this move would work. He could have made a lower crap 2pr, but probably would have bet at it.

You underbet the pot the entire way, obviously looking to try to get value from your hand, and probably priced him in (being that he is a call-fest) to a draw.

Tough to say what you should have done, as I probably would have been looking for value in this situation as well. I think my turn bet would be significantly larger, you bet 750 into a 2300 pot, i'd prob bet at least around 1500ish.

dmk
05-11-2005, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Live mtt, 80ish entries, top 6 pay. About half the field left, I'm in 3rd orbit at my table with ~T12k (above average stack). Villain is in BB with ~T5k. Blinds are 100/200.

I have seen villain at tourneys before, and he seems to call too much (rarely see him raise pf). I have picked up a few pots but have not yet shown down a hand.

Folded to me in CO with T9s. I raise to 600 (standard opening $). Button, SB fold. BB thinks for a second and calls. T1300 pot.

Flop comes T92 with 2 spades. Checked to me, I bet 500, BB calls.

River 5. Check, I bet 750, he calls.

River 7. Check, I bet 1200, he instapushes.

Thoughts on my and villains play, and what he's holding?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like your play particularly. Make it 1K on the flop and push the turn. Villian will only have 3.5k left on the turn and it'll be about that in the pot. It charges the most for any sort of draw. You're not going to get away from top 2 here against a set. More often than not you're ahead, so get the chips in the middle.

Nothing villian could have here makes sense on the river. I guess he could have 22, but I'd fear a check through way too much to go for a c/r. I suppose QJs is possible? Dunno, pretty shitty though.

Not a fan of either players' play.

bugstud
05-11-2005, 05:03 PM
so you make it 600 preflop then 500 on the flop?

I guess if you're trying to represent a missed draw, and play AK the same way, it makes sense.

you're forced to call the river here though, given the tiny bets you've made.

Pat Southern
05-11-2005, 05:10 PM
I'd bet more on the flop and turn, the way you played it, you have to call the river checkraise.

adanthar
05-11-2005, 05:18 PM
I will sometimes underbet these kinds of flops, but come on, he's a calling station. If he has A9 he's paying off 500 or 800 equally well.

Anyway, gotta call, sorry you lost to J8, etc.

IHateKeithSmart
05-11-2005, 05:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
so you make it 600 preflop then 500 on the flop?

I guess if you're trying to represent a missed draw, and play AK the same way, it makes sense.

you're forced to call the river here though, given the tiny bets you've made.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking the flop bet looks like a standard continuation bet w/ overcards. I agree with folks that I should have bet more on the turn.

At any rate, I call and villain turns over KK. At least he played the hand worse than i did?

bruce
05-11-2005, 05:21 PM
If I feel strongly that the BB will call BTF I won't raise with
a ten high.

With a connected flop and a flush draw you have to bet more on the flop and the turn. You gave your opponent a great price to
draw out on you.

Bruce

frozenhops
05-11-2005, 05:24 PM
I think villian's plan was to get all his chips in the middle unless an A showed up on the flop. He is short stacked enough that he probably thought it was worth the risk to try and double up and not lose you preflop.

I think he put you at continuation bets, a,x, or another pocket and was risking the chance that you didn't hit your set/2pr. Having said that, a c/r all in w/ 1 pair ain't so hot on the river, I probably c/r the flop or turn quite a bit and get ready to bite the dust if he hits, or at the very minimum bet out on the river to stop you from checking behind. You had a pretty disguised hand though, which probably made him feel safer.

dmk
05-11-2005, 05:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

At any rate, I call and villain turns over KK. At least he played the hand worse than i did?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. You played equally horribly IMO.

IHateKeithSmart
05-11-2005, 05:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. You played equally horribly IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I actually agree. I notice that I am often more aggressive against larger stacks for some reason (e.g. would have charged more to draw against a more equal/larger stack). I don't know why this is, but I need to get over it.

Thanks all for the comments.