PDA

View Full Version : Strange 10-20 hand

loki
11-27-2002, 01:30 PM
On the turn, call is fine, I sometimes three-bet. This is defense against that tricky-sort using check-raise-semi-bluff. If I three-bet it is the last money--I am putting into the pot cause I want to get a showdown!

My thought is the player is not going to 4-bet with anything that an overpair can beat; and they will not bet river unless they improve. Sometimes they will not bet river even if they do improve cause of your show of strength on turn!

River was mandatory call since you called the check-raise. If you are calling two on turn, you need to call river just because of pot size. 7.5BB to 1

well-played
loki

cybertilt
11-27-2002, 01:32 PM
Up till the river you both played it well. When he makes a play for the pot at the turn and you don't budge, I can't believe he bets the river without getting some piece of the board. Your call was right, you can't raise after that turn play of his IMHO.

Diplomat
11-27-2002, 04:01 PM
I am in the cutoff with J /forums/images/icons/spade.gif J /forums/images/icons/heart.gif and open raise. Folded to the big blind, a good player that will not get too out of line pre-flop, but can be tricky on occation. He calls and we take the flop heads-up.

Flop comes

T /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 6 /forums/images/icons/club.gif 2 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

He checks, I bet, he calls.

Turn is the

5 /forums/images/icons/club.gif

He checks, I bet, he check-raises (??), I call.

River is

Q /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

He bets, I call, he gives a half-smile and asks, "chop, chop?" and rolls over A /forums/images/icons/club.gif K /forums/images/icons/club.gif. I laugh too and take it down with my jacks.

Ok, so the questions I have here are: Did I play my hand well? Should I have three-bet the turn? Does anyone fold here when the queen falls? Is there any way I could have played this better?

But the real question is how did he play his hand? Is there a better way of playing his hand, or did he play it right? And what were his chances of beating me on the river?

Any thoughts, comments, criticisms, whatever, are welcome.

Ed Miller
11-27-2002, 04:44 PM
I think he played the hand just fine... except that preflop I would have 3-bet a possible steal-raise with his hand in a heartbeat.

On the turn, he's semi-bluffing when he picks up the flush draw. If you have just overcards, you easily might fold here. Given that you have an overpair, though... you have to call. Since he didn't know you had an overpair (and obviously suspected that you had AK), then his play was a good one. You have to call him on the river.

He had 15 outs to beat you on the river... 9 flush outs and 6 A and K outs. That makes him about a 2-1 dog to you at that point. Those outs plus the chance of getting you to muck AK are more than enough to checkraise the turn.

budman
11-27-2002, 06:39 PM
He check-raised the turn with his nut flush draw and did not get raised back. He has to bet out on the turn. If not, he has little chance of winning the pot.

If I were the BB, I would have 3 bet before the turn.

PokerPrince
11-27-2002, 07:04 PM
Three-bet the turn here.

PokerPrince

mike l.
11-27-2002, 07:18 PM
"Turn is the 5. He checks, I bet, he check-raises (??), I call."

why the "??"? surely you can see the definite value of this checkraise here. this guy plays pretty well you should be careful against him in the future. btw, a 3 bet by you here would be perfectly appropriate. you can easily fold to a 4 bet and your overpair is likely best most of the time here.

"But the real question is how did he play his hand? Is there a better way of playing his hand, or did he play it right?"

"right"? it's oftentimes hard to know exactly what "right" is in hold em. he played it well. 3 betting preflop would be good usually, but smoothcalling has value as well. betting or checkraising the flop has value. betting or checkraising the turn has value. i like his checkraise given this board an d scenario. check-calling and check-folding the river are good options, i dont really see the sense in betting in this particular case since it's clear you will call and the only hand you can call with that he beats is an unlikely weaker A.