PDA

View Full Version : This was whacked - level 1 heads up

Tilt
05-11-2005, 01:28 PM
Last night in a 10+1, a total maniac managed to get me HU with him by the 15TH HAND! 1st hand he elminated two players, one with AA and one who hit trips, when he made a gutshot straight on the turn with J9 after reraising preflop. Next hand, another one goes down after reraising him all in preflop with 77 against his QQ. A few hands later he flushed out 2 more with something like 83 suited. Then he just started pushing every hand, and won most every time, sucking out 3 over just a few hands with total trash (though he was getting called by some very questionable hands).

So by simply folding through this madness without one hand worth playing to these conditions, I find myself heads up in level 1.

Blinds at 10/20 I have 1400 to his 13600. Thinking of dfscott, I offered to chop but no dice. I was clueless on how to play HU with such small blinds. I didn't matter much though cause by the 5th hand of this he simply started pushing again and I accepted the gamble with TT and lost. Crazy.

Nottom
05-11-2005, 01:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Last night in a 10+1, a total maniac managed to get me HU with him by the 15TH HAND! 1st hand he elminated two players, one with AA and one who hit trips, when he made a gutshot straight on the turn with J9 after reraising preflop. Next hand, another one goes down after reraising him all in preflop with 77 against his QQ. A few hands later he flushed out 2 more with something like 83 suited. Then he just started pushing every hand, and won most every time, sucking out 3 over just a few hands with total trash (though he was getting called by some very questionable hands).

So by simply folding through this madness without one hand worth playing to these conditions, I find myself heads up in level 1.

Blinds at 10/20 I have 1400 to his 13600. Thinking of dfscott, I offered to chop but no dice. I was clueless on how to play HU with such small blinds. I didn't matter much though cause by the 5th hand of this he simply started pushing again and I accepted the gamble with TT and lost. Crazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agaisnt a player like that, just sit back and wait for a hand. The blinds are small so they shouldn't bother you too much.

You got that part right, no you just need to learn the don't get sucked out on portion of the strategy.

durron597
05-11-2005, 01:34 PM
Yeah, but making $19 in ten minutes is nice...

dfscott
05-11-2005, 02:48 PM
This actually reminds me of playing a PokerStars tourney. I've gotten HU at blind levels of 100/200 and with stacks 20 times that, it becomes a bit similar. I just end up playing it like middle-level poker: raise 3 times the BB with good hands, fold everything else. The blinds will get there sooner or later.

In your case, you're probably going to want to be selective enough that you're only entering with solid hands, since he's likely going to run over any raise. You'll want to make sure that you're comfortable playing any hand you raise for all of your chips.

Of course, before you follow this advice, consider the source... /images/graemlins/smile.gif