PDA

View Full Version : Strategy At Very Loose Small Stakes No Limit Games

NYCNative
05-11-2005, 10:52 AM
Most of the small stakes NL action I've been involved with involves unsophisticated players who play like Bizarro Gus Hansens - they will try and see every flop no matter what they're holding, but will do so passively and without regard to position (and even without regard to raises at times).

I've found that you can bludgeon even the loosest players into submission when you have Kings or Aces with big pre-flop bets, however those hands aren't as difficult to play because you can safely risk a ton because you're usually a heavy pre-flop favorite.

The problem that I have is when you have mid-level hands - Nines, Tens, Jacks and even Queens or the usual scary Aces (AT, AJ, AQ). Those kind of hands are often the best hand pre-flop but they're almost impossible to win with five people taking the flop. However if you try and make larger raises to limit the opposition, you can trap yourself when they do catch a premium hand and you lose a lot more than the standard 3BB raise.

Limping and hoping for favorable flops (undercards and sets) seems way too passive and doesn't define the hand; I can do that with small pockets in good conscious, but I hate turning Queens into 4s, especially since 4s are a lot easier to dump than Queens after the flop.

Sure you'll have situations where you throw those hands away, but you can't do that all the time or you're a rock and that's no way to win either.

How do you determine the risk vs. reward with those sub-premium hands at very loose games?

MasterShakes
05-11-2005, 11:12 AM
First, don't make your raise amount according to what hand you hold - make it according to how many limpers are in the pot, what position you have, and mix it up randomly. Don't leave yourself open to being read because of the size of the raise you make.

Second, you say that winning with hands like AT, AJ, AQ, QQ, JJ, TT, 99, etc. is "almost impossible" when several players are in the pot. This is wrong. Any limit player will tell you that this is FAR from the truth. I know we're not dealing with limit, but if you can win a lot in limit, which is much more of a draw-based game, then you can certainly win with these hands in no-limit.

Third, my advice is to not bluff into calling stations. They'll just call you and show you a pair... any pair. Also, don't push too hard with marginal hands into calling stations. For instance, don't push TT too hard on a K high board when whoever is calling you is likely to simply be calling with a weak K. If you're in a loose, maniacal type game, then just wait for a hand and punish them.... make isolation raises against the maniac who has raised his fifth straight hand when you hold anything strong (88 and up, big aces, etc.).

Finally, QQ is not 44. Don't ever start to indicate that you should play these hands at all similarly. It doesn't matter what kind of game you're in.

Dr_Freeze
05-11-2005, 07:05 PM
I play 6-max, so take this for what it's worth.

I think the trick with AQ, AJ, and AT is to stay vigilant for hints that your top pair might not be best on the flop, but play it as if it is until proven otherwise. For example, if I raised with those hands pre-flop (which is often correct), I'm certainly going to bet if I pair the A on the flop and it's checked to me. However, if someone bets into me or check raises, it's time to reevaluate. When someone flat calls my flop bet, it's down to people and flop texture.

Same goes for the high pairs... I often raise pre-flop and then give people a reason to fold on the flop. If they stick around, then it's time to re-evaluate.

With that said, I think a good rule of thumb is don't lose your stack on one pair hands. It's served me well.

-Freeze

grimel
05-11-2005, 07:17 PM
When I violate your method I end up doing something stupid and giving away cash.

OTOH, you really need a decent read on the players. Certain players (on my buddy list) I'd call down with 33 and a board of face cards. Others (my avoid as much as possible list) I'd bail facing bets in a certain range.