PDA

View Full Version : JJ in BB versus full table

Dahveed
05-11-2005, 09:46 AM
Typical crazy-loose $1/2 NL game - typically at least 4 players to see a raised flop (avg. pf raise $12-20), but if there is no raise people will limp with just about anything. The whole table's fairly loose-passive, except for a loose-aggressive player who's been catching his draws and is sitting on about $500, with everybody else very close to the buy-in ($120).

The whole table limps, and you pick up JJ in the BB. You know that you probably have the best hand here, but figure a really big raise will only get called by great hands, and a normal raise won't thin the field too much. Possible calling hands to a normal raise are Axs, Axo, KQs-KTo, QJs-Q9o, AA-55, and a number of mid-range suited connectors and 2-gappers. Do you check here and take a free chance to hit a set, or do you raise and take a flop out of position against several players with a wide array of possible hands between them?

Does your answer change if your cards are TT?

Ghazban
05-11-2005, 09:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
really big raise will only get called by great hands

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't these great hands have raised themselves? This situation is very different from picking up JJ UTG at the same table because the lack of a raise from anybody else diminishes the possibility that there is a premium hand out against you. I'd make a fairly large raise (~$25 straight) and take it from there. Just checking and hoping to hit a set is not bad either, particularly if somebody will pay you off with A-rag on an AJx flop. With tens, I'm more likely to check and see a flop but making a raise would not be bad, either.

Always Rockets
05-11-2005, 09:59 AM
I would have to raise in that position, and raise a fair amount- enough to 'only get called by great hands' which is fine- at least you have a better idea of where you stand than if you check.