PDA

View Full Version : Just a thought...

Loci
05-11-2005, 09:36 AM
Another sleepless night, another semi coherent rant.
Background of this message: I am currently studying to be a high school teacher. I have a crogity old professor who, despite not having actually set foot into a secondary classroom for almost a decade, sticks by his beliefs about outdated and disregarded theoretical approaches to teaching. His beliefs and teachings contradicts what every secondary school in the nation is doing and when confronted by this by our class "Well it may work in practice, but does it work in theory?"
Hmmm.
My generalization of this quote to this theory: EV+ is a relative thing. Clearly the base of all calls is statistical analysis, but this application works when we know all of the cards (via reads, psychic ability, or blatant cheating) so a great deal of emphasis in our development of poker ability should be to improve THESE abilities, (which then changes our level of play in terms of calling raising and bluffing) rather than concerning ourselves with a short term outcome of a hand, session, day, week, etc.
I know: I'm stating the obvious.
But the point is really this; making the wrong decision for the right reason is EV+. Making the right decision for the wrong reason isn't. A LAG should call down with nothing sometimes just to advertise. This person makes their money by breaking people and getting action. A player who is a rock shouldn't call down with nothing. He makes his money by making accurate calls and value betting. Furthermore, no two individuals can play the same way, because their individual presenses will generate different responses from the same people even when they play identical hands. While we should certainly be striving for perfection in all of our abilities, making choices that maximize our INDIVIDUAL play is the ultimate goal.
In any case, it's just a thought.

k_squared
05-11-2005, 12:21 PM
you actually need to add some complexity to your model...

players are not simply 'rocks' and 'LAGs' they take on different roles at different times. The best players are able to adapt their play to maximize their winnings in a particular situation. So, a 'rock' might actually want to call down with nothing if it might have the effect of changing his image and creating more action. And that 'rock' might not even really be a rock, but rather a LAG who is setting the table up for some aggressive play later in the round. Good players do not singularly fall into one category, but take advantage of the table conditions including how other people perceive them. They move from one style to the next when other players attempt to adjust to their play because that gives them an advantage.

-k_squared

blackize
05-11-2005, 07:25 PM
Ah the state of public schools....

Crogity= not a word. You probably meant crotchety.
"His beliefs and teachings contradicts" should read "His beliefs and teachings contradict." Similar mistake made in the next line.

The_Bends
05-11-2005, 08:52 PM
Also why on earth would a LAG want to call down with nothing? Surely he should by definition be getting action anyway.

Dov
05-11-2005, 09:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also why on earth would a LAG want to call down with nothing?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's just what I was thinking. He would raise.

dogmeat
05-11-2005, 10:52 PM
How far along are you on this journey to teach? Is it too late to take some basic english classes, so what you are teaching is worth passing on to our youth? Good Luck.

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/spade.gif

ACW
05-12-2005, 07:31 AM
Seems to be a very long way of saying :

"Adaptation to situations is as important as general guidelines".

True in poker, true in life.

Loci
05-12-2005, 04:20 PM
A few things...
1. I am going to be an English teacher. This was a blur of information and thoughts poured into a post. I was not trying to impress you with grammatical structure or punctuation. It was a release. This isn't a term paper, it's an expression of thought.
2. I began with the words "sleepless night" and "semi coherent rant." figure it out.
3. I was at a e-mail terminal on campus without spell check.
4. If you're not going to say something nice, I'll give you detention. Corporal punishment is unfortunately no longer legal in Mi.

Lawrence Ng
05-12-2005, 07:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
4. If you're not going to say something nice, I'll give you detention. Corporal punishment is unfortunately no longer legal in Mi.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahahah, I certainly have a great deal of respect for teachers nowadays than I did when I was younger. But there is a serious concern that many of my teaching friends have nowadays. Kids are naturally going to be nuissance and get themselves into trouble. What is really shocking is how egotistical some parents can be in protecting their own child and in turn blame the teacher back for their own child's misdemeanor.

I say bring that spanking board back and add a mace to it. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Lawrence

Loci
05-16-2005, 11:13 AM
Those sweet parents of satanic children... It's often in dealing with them that it occurs to me that the nature/nurture debate was moot. Children with azzhole genes and have to grow up with them really were screwed from day one. The profession doesn't get the respect it deserves.
And I want a tranq gun.
My best,
Loci