PDA

View Full Version : 5/10 - A9o river decision

spamuell
05-11-2005, 08:14 AM
I've been trying to tone down my aggression recently in terms of thin value 3-bets because actually players are generally more passive than I give them credit for (especially on the river) and I'm probably losing money with them.

The opponent in this hand was pretty typical, slightly looser and more passive than is probably optimal but not a complete calling station. I really really wanted to 3-bet the river here, but I thought he was more likely to have a slowplayed monster or a bluff that wouldn't call a 3-bet than a hand I beat which suddenly decided to raise the river.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (4 SB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, Button folds, SB folds.

Turn: (3 BB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

River: (5 BB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero...?

Comments?

helpmeout
05-11-2005, 08:56 AM
Too many hands can beat you, any 3, 52 pocket 4s etc.

What hand that you beat is he going to raise with? A4? thats about it so its an easy call.

Very few players raise loosely on the river because they know you are going to call down most times because its only 1 bet.

Wynton
05-11-2005, 09:34 AM
I really don't see the point of raising the river here. What could this guy have that you beat, aside from A4? Seems very unlikely (based on your description) that he's making a river bluff.

Surfbullet
05-11-2005, 01:34 PM
This is a clear call because there are very few hands a player like this will raise that you beat, and many that beat you. The key here is his passivity - he's very unlikely to play a big Ace this way, he'll need 2 pair or better.

Surf

mungpo
05-11-2005, 01:50 PM
I am calling his raise on the river.