PDA

View Full Version : Should I accept this all-in?

sunek
05-11-2005, 07:56 AM
No Limit Texas Hold´em $5 tournament at paradise III round (blinds: 15/30).

I had played quite concretive in this tournement until this point. There had been a lot of action SB played many hands, was quite lucky and seemed to played his hands well (E.g. he flopped a full house and managed to kick out two opponents).

Hero (1,495.00)
CO (2,035.00)
Button (1,925.00)
SB (4,545.00)

Preflop: Hero: is BB with 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif
<font color="#666666"> 2 folds</font>, SB calls 15,Hero checks
Flop:(60) 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif4 /images/graemlins/club.gif (2 players)
SB checks, hero bets 60,SB calls
Turn: (180) T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif(2 players)
SB checks, Hero checks
River:(180) 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif (2 players)
<font color="red">SB bets 120, Hero raises 240, SB bets 4,335 (all-in), </font> Hero ?

I raised on the flop as an attempt to steal the pot. I know that you should not try to steal from the chip leader – but it was a quite cheap attempt.

swarm
05-11-2005, 08:22 AM
Hero folds, why would you go all in with 69off with the blinds only at 15/30....

Yeah you would have or luckily did hit your straight in this case but this is almost always a mistake.

If you knew that the big stack was so lose why try to steal with trash on him. Set him up with a good hand.

NYCNative
05-11-2005, 08:25 AM
Don't like the minimum raise on the river. Either make a real raise or simply call if you're worried about a boat. His small bet could be a steal attempt - or it could have been a value bet and you could have taken the bait.

I would have made a big raise there and if he came over the top, bite the bullet and hoped he just had a 4 and didn't even fathom the straight. I don't think you can fold a straight there, even the ass-end variety that you have. Of course, maybe that's a weakness in my game...

NYCNative
05-11-2005, 08:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hero folds, why would you go all in with 69off with the blinds only at 15/30....

Yeah you would have or luckily did hit your straight in this case but this is almost always a mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]There was nothing to fold to until the River bet. He checked out of the BB and the post-flop bet was his - he could have checked that one. The only move by villain was after the river and by then he had his straight.

Scuba Chuck
05-11-2005, 08:33 AM
I know there is a full house opportunity on this board, furthermore, you have the ass end of this straight. That being said, you need to define villain's play. Is he the type that will "throw his chips" around and bully, or does he only do this play when he has a clearly solid hand.

What a weird tournament. Bubble has occurred unbelievably early. You could wait for a better opp.

Ugh, how often is it that villain has 4x here though? Weighing all the hand probabilities that this could be over the lifetime of these situations, I think this is a call.

gr8vertical
05-11-2005, 08:35 AM
Hm. I think i call every time

sunek
05-11-2005, 08:55 AM
Hi

I am happy to see that I am not the only one who thought that this was an obvious call. I called his all-in and he showed 4 8 – so he had the full house from the start.

sunek

lutefisk
05-11-2005, 09:07 AM
I'll give another bump to the call. I think villian will have just a set or something worse far more often than he will have the full house.

"Only after the 10th punch will you see the fist, and only after the 20th will you block it." --Proverb from the game of Go

NYCNative
05-11-2005, 09:07 AM
Maybe you were doomed to lose, but your river play still bugs me. If you thought that river bet could have been a "please pay me off" bet, then you shoul have just called. Any time you raise, you should ask yourself how you will handle a move over-the-top and keep that in mind. I'm not saying that I always follow this advice, but it's a good idea nonetheless.

sunek
05-11-2005, 09:22 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar på:</font><hr />
Maybe you were doomed to lose, but your river play still bugs me. If you thought that river bet could have been a "please pay me off" bet, then you shoul have just called...

[/ QUOTE ]
I guess you have a point. So in other words if I want to raise then raise like a man. Do you think that a 400 bet (pot + villains bet) would be more appropriate?
In this case he would have pushed his stack in anyway so what should my action be then?

sunek

Phil Van Sexton
05-11-2005, 10:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe you were doomed to lose, but your river play still bugs me. If you thought that river bet could have been a "please pay me off" bet, then you shoul have just called. Any time you raise, you should ask yourself how you will handle a move over-the-top and keep that in mind. I'm not saying that I always follow this advice, but it's a good idea nonetheless.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really have a problem with the river bet. There's no way I'm folding here, so that's not an issue.

The big stack is betting like he has a piece of this board. The OP made a value bet that the big stack will pay off if he has anything.

You are ahead the vast majority of the time, so I wouldn't just call and let him off cheaply. I might've raised a bit more than the min, but it wouldn't be with the intention of folding if re-raised.

adanthar
05-11-2005, 10:22 AM
Folding a straight here would be bad enough to make you buy a dress with the money you 'won'. That's a godawful lot of Sklansky bucks.

Don't worry about it.

NYCNative
05-11-2005, 10:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I might've raised a bit more than the min, but it wouldn't be with the intention of folding if re-raised.

[/ QUOTE ]I agree that it was all or nothing here. If you were really scared of a boat, call it and either win a small pot or lose a small pot. If you're prepared to go all the way, force the issue with a solid raise.

Phil Van Sexton
05-11-2005, 10:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I might've raised a bit more than the min, but it wouldn't be with the intention of folding if re-raised.

[/ QUOTE ]I agree that it was all or nothing here. If you were really scared of a boat, call it and either win a small pot or lose a small pot. If you're prepared to go all the way, force the issue with a solid raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are raising for value here. You want to be called by hands worse than yours, so you don't want to raise big and make him fold hands like J8 or A7.

I like to raise a bit more then minimum in these spots, but the min raise was fine, IMO.