PDA

View Full Version : Tough hand against a possible LAG

DavidC
05-11-2005, 07:09 AM
Cross-posted in the micros because the hand makes sense there too.

---

I was playing a session of 5/10 LHE at a local club; The structure of the game was standard, except that players are allowed to make "stradles": raising the blind without looking at your cards (before the deal). Since the cap is "3 raises", this essentially means that one player can straddle, another re-straddle, and the cap becomes 30 rather than 20. I didn't ask on the max number of allowable straddles, but I'd assume one complete orbit of the table and that's it. Pretty crazy.

It featured the following line-up:

Button: LPA (P on river too)

CO: SLPA (bluffs people with busted draws sometimes, bet oesfd on turn after no action in lp)

MP2: folded pf and I can't remember who it was
MP1: Hero (I think I'm up 25bb or something like that at the time, but I'm in for 34bb, so it looks like a larger win than it is...)
UTG+1: LPP (plays many many hands)
UTG: details to follow: "villain"

BB: folded the hand.. can't remember
SB: foleded the hand.. can't remember

Button, CO, and UTG+1 will call two cold with any hand they would limp with (quite a few hands)... apparently they'll call three bets cold too. /images/graemlins/smile.gif AFAIK, UTG+1 is insensitive to position, but Button and CO are aware of it post-flop. I haven't seen either CO or Button raise a draw on the flop, though they may have betted them. The CO and Button will play any cards for 2 cold that they would play for one, will perhaps call with a hand that they otherwise would have raised, and are oblivious and seemingly uncaring to the fact that they may be re-raised pf by the UTG player. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

UTG: This player often plays 20/40 LHE at a local B&M. I've never seen him play there, but he claims to play differently. However, I've seen him play very crazy. Ridiculously poor hand selection like J4s and 82o, capping pf with these hands and then chasing to the river (or capping to the river). I've played with this guy twice (button once, and the rest twice). In one session, he capped the flop, turn and river with a gutshot. He was beating me in a lot of pots that night, and won about 150bb while I watched him play for about 8 hours. However, I think he was close to even for the session, a little up or down...

For this particular session, he whittled his stack down from maybe 20bb down to the felt and rebought, he was playing fairly tough for the first half of the session, though. Rationally as far as I could tell. But probably about an hour before this hand was played, he appeared to go on tilt... he was winning a little and inclined to gamble, I believe. An example hand: He straddled pf, and then capped vs 6 players with 22, he capped the flop with an underpair backdoor straight draw, and then hit his set on the turn and capped it (vs. my wheel). He played off and on like that for the next 2-3 hours, switching between LAG and SLAA. Before this hand, he folded to me once HU, but he also chased me to the river with one garbage hand...

On the PF, he's likely to cap with any hand at all. In the last session he bluffed me out of a few pots.

I'll recreate this as best I can.

----------------

Hero is in mp with KTo. 5-10 LHE, 8 handed. No significant (short) stacks.

UTG looks at cards and raises, There's a call from an LPP and I raise. A SLPA calls and a SLAP calls. LAG re-raises and I cap.

--------

5 players, 21.5 small bets.

Flop: jh9s2s

Lag bets, LPP calls, I pause and raise. Two cold callers call. Lag raises, LPP folds, I cap, and the callers call.

Turn: 7c (37.5 sb = 18.75bb), 4 players

Lag bets. I think again, and I raise. They call, Lag raises, I call, they call.

River: 2c, 4 players, 30.75bb

Lag bets, I seriously think... I raise, CO calls, button folds, and lag raises and I fold.

---------

Any comments? This is probably the craziest hand that I've played in a long time, and I'm unsure of how well I played the turn and river. I want it to be emphasized that the lag isn't an idiot. He would need an overcard, a gutshot, bottom pair, or any other legitimate poker hand to play the way he did.

He might slow down a bit with bad hands that he wants to show down, though... depending on what he thinks I have, I think... so I may have overplayed the river.

I should also have acted more quickly, but I'm not used to being in this large of a pot with such a marginal hand against such and aggressive opponent and a bunch of callers.

Thanks for any comments.

P.S.

GAMBOOL! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

crunchy1
05-11-2005, 09:21 AM
No offense - but all-in-all I think this hand f***ing sucks!!!

-Fold PF (Although I will agree that 3-betting is the second best option with calling being a distant last place). When the SLAs cold-call your 3-bet I don't really see the justification in your PF cap with KTo? (and BTW I count that cap as a 4th raise after you state that it's capped at "3 raises"?)

-Fold the Flop. You're against a PF aggressor, a caller and 2 SLAs left to act behind you. You're stuck in the middle with 1 overcard and a gutshot and that's not a good place to be.

-Call the Turn - ugh... That card helps and there's 20 BBs in the pot. It's probably pretty bad to be folding at this point. You've got about 8 outs (maybe 9 if you're holding the K spades) which you may want to discount even further given that an 8 does not give you the nuts and hitting a K may not hold up at showdown. As I said, I don't think you can fold - but you don't really have any reason to be liking your hand so much that you can be raising!?!

-Fold the River - You miss and there's still a player left to act after you (who's been cold-calling left and right the whole way!?!). Why are you still putting bets into this pot?! MAJOR LEAGUE SPEW!!!

I'm curious on your thoughts as to why you felt it was appropriate to play these streets so aggressively on a pure bluff. You're playing between loose/passive and aggressive players. Not only is bluffing not going to be effective against the LPs but, the LAGs are also going to charge you the maximum for trying!?!

jskills
05-11-2005, 10:12 AM
Fold preflop with KTo in MP vs. a raise from UTG - I don't care who it is.

On the flop, you have nothing, a bettor and a caller and you raise? Why? Do you think they're going to fold?

The rest of the hand, you played like a LAG. You've got multiple opponents in the pot, so none of your bets really made any sense - you never had anything, except a glimmer of hope you could make everyone fold.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but perhaps since you were in this situation, you cannot see this hand as objectively ?

DavidC
05-11-2005, 02:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No offense - but all-in-all I think this hand f***ing sucks!!!

-Fold PF (Although I will agree that 3-betting is the second best option with calling being a distant last place). When the SLAs cold-call your 3-bet I don't really see the justification in your PF cap with KTo? (and BTW I count that cap as a 4th raise after you state that it's capped at "3 raises"?)

-Fold the Flop. You're against a PF aggressor, a caller and 2 SLAs left to act behind you. You're stuck in the middle with 1 overcard and a gutshot and that's not a good place to be.

-Call the Turn - ugh... That card helps and there's 20 BBs in the pot. It's probably pretty bad to be folding at this point. You've got about 8 outs (maybe 9 if you're holding the K spades) which you may want to discount even further given that an 8 does not give you the nuts and hitting a K may not hold up at showdown. As I said, I don't think you can fold - but you don't really have any reason to be liking your hand so much that you can be raising!?!

-Fold the River - You miss and there's still a player left to act after you (who's been cold-calling left and right the whole way!?!). Why are you still putting bets into this pot?! MAJOR LEAGUE SPEW!!!

I'm curious on your thoughts as to why you felt it was appropriate to play these streets so aggressively on a pure bluff. You're playing between loose/passive and aggressive players. Not only is bluffing not going to be effective against the LPs but, the LAGs are also going to charge you the maximum for trying!?!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey there.

I completely agree with you on the PF decision. It was pretty horrid. I should have folded, and barring that, I should have called the three-bet. I got a little greedy here, trying to isolate two guys who probably had worse hands that I.

On the flop, I think raising may have been alright, but I should have called the three-bet.

On the turn, there's no way I can fold this.

On the river, a raise may still be worthwhile, but I have to think about that a bit more.

I was trying to buy king outs through most of the hand, and I didn't want one of the guys behind me to call with ace high and win vs the LAG's garbage.

--Dave.

DavidC
05-11-2005, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop with KTo in MP vs. a raise from UTG - I don't care who it is.

On the flop, you have nothing, a bettor and a caller and you raise? Why? Do you think they're going to fold?

The rest of the hand, you played like a LAG. You've got multiple opponents in the pot, so none of your bets really made any sense - you never had anything, except a glimmer of hope you could make everyone fold.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but perhaps since you were in this situation, you cannot see this hand as objectively ?

[/ QUOTE ]

On the flop, I'm trying to buy king outs and I'm curious if this is the correct situation to do that.

On the turn I figured maybe a double bet would fold them, finally. I was wrong and will adjust to this in the future. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

On the river I DID NOT want an ace-high flush draw to call and win.

I think I can see stuff like this fairly objectively; does that count? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

--Dave.

DavidC
05-11-2005, 02:34 PM
Do I need to discount my outs in this hand, because of people chasing flushes and or straights?

If they're chasing my straight we split, and otherwise they're probably eating up some of my odds. Some of them may have backdoor flush draws also.

Not sure how this works into my outs.

crunchy1
05-11-2005, 02:49 PM
I think the biggest problem with your thinking here is that regardless of how much you try - you're just not going to push these players and their draws out of the pot. Also, LAGs occasionally catch hands too - just because he's been playing some garbage hands doesn't mean he's not going to show down a small pair on the river.

Your raise to get an Ace-high flush draw out on the river is not good thinking. It's quite likely that someone with only an ace-high flush draw isn't going to call one-bet after all that aggression. Raising to eliminate that one specific hand is a pretty bad waste of a BB.

Last, let me comment on one other point in your OP about the fact that you were "taking time to think" before your raises - this is REALLY bad. First, anyone who might have folded to your aggression is now going to call you down after you take a long time to decide. Second, all these players have now seen that you are a "thinking" player and will do all kinds of crazy stuff against you now; Not the least of which is: playing better against you!

crunchy1
05-11-2005, 03:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do I need to discount my outs in this hand, because of people chasing flushes and or straights?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely!!!

Any out for you that is a spade is tainted. Your K outs are tainted by the possibility of someone holding QT, any pair with a King kicker or any already made 2-pair hand. After the turn you may think that you have the following 11 outs: 3 Kings, 4 Queens, 4 Eights.

The reality is that you need to discount 3 outs for the spades. Discount the remaining 2 Kings by at least .5 outs. Discount the remaining 3 Queens by .5 outs. Discount the 3 Eights by .5 outs. And personally I think those estimates are fairly liberal. All those .5 discounts could probably be full discounts. So, in the end - on the turn, what looked like 11 outs is really in the range of 5-7 outs.

Obviously you're making this call getting 20-to-1 but, realize that even after your raise everyone else is still getting 11-to-1 and that makes calling with any draw to 4 outs or better a profitable play for everyone else at the table.

jskills
05-13-2005, 09:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
On the flop, I'm trying to buy king outs and I'm curious if this is the correct situation to do that.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't see how you can "buy outs" against a preflop raiser and a caller. They're not going anywhere with a non-threatening flop like this.

[ QUOTE ]

On the turn I figured maybe a double bet would fold them, finally. I was wrong and will adjust to this in the future. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Same as the flop. A big pocket pair isn't going anywhere. Same goes for AJ, QJ, KJ, etc.

[ QUOTE ]

On the river I DID NOT want an ace-high flush draw to call and win.

[/ QUOTE ]
So you put in an extra bet and you still think two opponents are going to fold when you hold absolutely nothing?

[ QUOTE ]

I think I can see stuff like this fairly objectively; does that count? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you are being objective here at all. This hand should have been folded preflop, on the turn and on the river. If you were truly looking at the hand objectively, you'd see that.

wildwood
05-13-2005, 09:44 AM
You're asking to get broke if you continue to play like this. Recommend reread SSHE especially pages 60 and 79. (memorize and apply) All the best.