PDA

View Full Version : Screw the Slowplay (and Love Those Donks)

fire_fly
05-11-2005, 04:34 AM
Gotta post this one....

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. MP3 posts a blind of $0.5.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 (poster) calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (16.50 SB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO calls, UTG calls.

This is the bit of content for the post. My reasons for betting the flop and risking everyone folding was this, and it's a trend I see.

It's so common to see people slowplay flops of trips or better, that a flop bet seems to get less respect than a check, bet/raise on turn.

In this case, it flashed through my head that after a pfr, a check on the flop and then a bet/raise on the turn would make people positivly believe I had sandbagged an ace, and so fold. I thought that a bet on the flop was, in fact, deceptive because of peoples strong tendencies to slowplay this kind of hand.

Just my 2 cents...

Turn: (10.25 BB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, UTG calls.

River: (14.25 BB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, Hero calls, MP3 calls.

Final Pot: 26.25 BB

UTG turned over 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif7 /images/graemlins/club.gif for the rivered full house and CO showed K /images/graemlins/heart.gif K /images/graemlins/spade.gif. Gotta love those donks /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jaxUp
05-11-2005, 04:39 AM
exceptionally well done

milesdyson
05-11-2005, 04:39 AM
I just check raise when I flop teh quads (no content 2+2 table hand - I own you "raillery").

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>.

Flop: (7.50 SB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+2 calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls.

River: (7.75 BB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls.

Final Pot: 9.75 BB

Results in white below:
Hero has Ac Ad (four of a kind, aces).
UTG+2 has 5d 7d (two pair, aces and sevens).
Outcome: Hero wins 9.75 BB.]

scotty34
05-11-2005, 04:47 AM
There is a good chance that pot would have been around 8-12BB instead of 26 had you attempted a slowplay. Perfectly played.

Wally Weeks
05-11-2005, 06:12 AM
Very well done. I just played a hand like that today, except check/raised on the flop, when I flopped quad 10s.

Wally

Grail
05-11-2005, 11:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Very well done. I just played a hand like that today, except check/raised on the flop, when I flopped quad 10s.

Wally

[/ QUOTE ]

Check raise on the flop gives you hand away. I belive his point was that if you just bet-bet-bet it might lead some people (donks) to belive your just betting OC's or are just overly aggressive.

It helps that some people do play this way. bet-bet-bet with nothing on scary boards.

-G

aron
05-11-2005, 12:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Check raise on the flop gives you hand away. I belive his point was that if you just bet-bet-bet it might lead some people (donks) to belive your just betting OC's or are just overly aggressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont believe there will be many OCs to an AA flop /images/graemlins/wink.gif

-aron

Rev. Good Will
05-11-2005, 12:16 PM
fastplaying really is the new slowplaying /images/graemlins/smile.gif

nice hand sir

krishanleong
05-11-2005, 12:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

nice hand sir

[/ QUOTE ]

People who say this just don't understand slowplaying in my opinion. Hell most people don't understand slowplaying.

Krishan

bottomset
05-11-2005, 02:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

nice hand sir

[/ QUOTE ]

People who say this just don't understand slowplaying in my opinion. Hell most people don't understand slowplaying.

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd have to agree, but slowplaying is not correct most of the time at the .5/1 and 1/2 levels or lower based on the normal player base

but totally ignoring it isn't the solution, slowplay when the circumstances warrant

Nak
05-11-2005, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

It helps that some people do play this way. bet-bet-bet with nothing on scary boards.

-G

[/ QUOTE ]

Like me! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Go tribe!

Nak

Rosencrantz1
05-11-2005, 03:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-aron

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice!!

johnc
05-11-2005, 03:07 PM
Very well played! I see ALOT of ppl bet in to AA and KK flops hoping to scare everyone off (even live 3/6!) and it works often enough to be fairly profitable on loose/passive tables. Your bet it out strategy played into this mentality &amp; worked to perfection! P.S. just curious how many of those donks left after this hand?

arbuthnot
05-11-2005, 03:54 PM
Nice play. I agree that it's worth taking a shot and betting out.

Would you have played it the same if you had A/images/graemlins/club.gifK/images/graemlins/club.gif and the flop came out with 3 clubs?

Grail
05-12-2005, 01:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-aron

[/ QUOTE ]

True, I was just pointing out the general concept even though it doesn't directly apply to this hand.

-G

Grail
05-12-2005, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

nice hand sir

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not far from the truth at most micro-limit games.

A fair number of people have read some book and learned aggressive &gt; Passive. Thus more aggression must be even better and bet-bet-bet is always the best line. The fish get used to this and just call down anyway.

-G