PDA

View Full Version : AKs in SB and what am I doing?

Aaron W.
05-11-2005, 02:17 AM
Villain has been at the table for 5 hands. During that time, he has called 3 preflop raises and raised once himself. He overplayed a 55 which he coldcalled from SB vs. UTG raise (Bet-call AA8 flop, Bet-call 3 turn, check-call 6 river).

I'm not really sure what I'm doing this time. I honestly think I was getting bored and toying around a little (I noticed myself getting otherwise sloppy and quit playing an orbit or two later). I expected him to bet whatever (based on his 55 play), so I wanted to see how he would respond to a check-raise.

I think I should have bet the turn, but I didn't want to pay 3 bets to show down my hand if he raised here and bet the river. (I felt he might overplay overcards, which made me feel that I needed to see the showdown.)

I'm check-calling the river if he checks behind on the turn and I miss, because there's no way he's calling overcards if he takes the free card, but he might be willing to bluff with them.

Paradise Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (11 SB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP3 checks

River: (9.50 BB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13.50 BB

ArturiusX
05-11-2005, 02:33 AM
I like it all, possibly 3-bet the river. I think KQ/KJ shows themselves enough.

irishpint
05-11-2005, 02:35 AM
well i have to think that you're either good here or WAY behind. his turn check says: i missed everything or i hit a monster and want you to catch up. he may have something like K6/K7 and hit his low pair, your raise freaked him out and now he paired his king...i dunno, i'm not a doctor.

scotty34
05-11-2005, 02:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
well i have to think that you're either good here or WAY behind. his turn check says: i missed everything or i hit a monster and want you to catch up. he may have something like K6/K7 and hit his low pair, your raise freaked him out and now he paired his king...i dunno, i'm not a doctor.

[/ QUOTE ]

People usually do no slowplay the turn when they are last to act. That's just missing too many bets. You don't earn anymore on the river by raising than you by betting the turn and river if he catches. I think I might even 3-bet the river in this case.

irishpint
05-11-2005, 03:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

People usually do no slowplay the turn when they are last to act. That's just missing too many bets. You don't earn anymore on the river by raising than you by betting the turn and river if he catches. I think I might even 3-bet the river in this case.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what did our boy MP3 bet the flop with? He could have something like 89 /images/graemlins/spade.gif and had a backdoor flush/straight. or he could have a pair and a straight draw (why he raised the river i dunno). I really don't like a river re-raise here. He's not raising because he missed his draw. Either he hit his flush or 2 pair, me thinks. I suppose KQ is possible, too. But then why bet the flop into the PF 3bet-er?

aK13
05-11-2005, 04:04 AM
If you be raising the flop OOP, I think you best be betting the turn, and definitely this river. If you missed, I probably check/fold.

jaxUp
05-11-2005, 04:08 AM
I can dig it. I don't mind the flop c/r at all, and I don't even mind checking the turn. Were you showing down here UI?

tiltaholic
05-11-2005, 09:45 AM
When I c/r flops like this I lead the turn.
Checking the turn here screams overcards.
I feel leading the turn is correct if there's a chance villian will fold - I'm feeling from your description that he's not folding - but I don't know if that changes anything wrt the turn bet or no bet.

mvoss
05-11-2005, 09:52 AM
(In the dark)

I like it.

spacemonkey57
05-11-2005, 09:59 AM
I'd call the river raise and expect to see a crappy Kx two pair or another AK. It looks like he caught a part of the flop and plans on calling down, so I think a river reraise would be spewing.

Aaron W.
05-11-2005, 11:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I can dig it. I don't mind the flop c/r at all, and I don't even mind checking the turn. Were you showing down here UI?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm check-calling the river, hoping he'll bluff overcards.

Aaron W.
05-11-2005, 11:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When I c/r flops like this I lead the turn.
Checking the turn here screams overcards.
I feel leading the turn is correct if there's a chance villian will fold - I'm feeling from your description that he's not folding - but I don't know if that changes anything wrt the turn bet or no bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a turn bet is correct. Even with very little fold equity, I'm probably ahead of him and this is a good value/protection bet. At this point, he could be chasing with something like KJ, and he'll call with only three outs on the turn, but may not call or bet the river UI.

By the way, checking also "screams" another check-raise attempt. So it's not so clear what I have here.

Aaron W.
05-11-2005, 11:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
People usually do no slowplay the turn when they are last to act. That's just missing too many bets. You don't earn anymore on the river by raising than you by betting the turn and river if he catches.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's heads up, and players do stupid things with big hands heads up.

[ QUOTE ]
I think I might even 3-bet the river in this case.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's definitely close. But if I 3-bet, I'm calling a cap, and I'm not sure if my hand is worth a cap. 5 hands isn't big enough for me to feel comfortable putting that many bets into the pot in this situation. He slowed down on the river on the other hand, so I'm more inclined to suspect he likes showdowns more than he likes river action.