PDA

View Full Version : First Buy! Motorola

Zeno
11-27-2002, 02:01 AM
I just Bet $1,500 on Motorola. I will probably be betting the pot on the flop also - once my yearly bonus check comes in. I did some research on the company and have read about its science research branch (a long while back) in the magazine "The Economist" - That old Limey rag that is quite useful sometimes. Anyway the stock and company have slumped the last 1.5 years and with stock at about $10.50 a share, I think this is a good buy since I plan to hang on to it for awhile (3 years or so). This is one reason I like this company longterm- Motorola (http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter/news/detail/0,1958,2122_1719_23,00.html)

Sound scientific research and development is a bases for growth and strength in this type of company. At least that is my opinion. To put it in pot-limit terms, I have a pair of Queens and plan on betting big up front. Wish me luck.

-Zeno

P.S. I have yet to decide on my other "picks".

adios
11-27-2002, 10:37 PM
FWIW, I don't know much about Motorola current products. I know they've been involved with wireless and cellular technology a lot over the past several years. That is probably a good place to be for tech companies. When I look over the most recent MOT balance sheet I see plenty of liquidity for current operations which is good. MOT has a fair amount of long term debt obligations with a debt/equity ratio of .79 (Yahoo number). So a real economic squeeze might be a problem. Over the past 4 quarters MOT has lost about 22% of it's stockholders equity or $2 billion. Net income is negative, cash flow is positive for the last 4 quarters. MOT is also trading around 1993 levels I believe. With a company like MOT I would really study their product lines and try to make some sort of evaluation of the markets their products are sold in and how well they stack up with competitors products.

Zeno
11-27-2002, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the pointers. I'll probably look more in depth at product lines before buying any more stock, as this is something I did overlook.

-Zeno