PDA

View Full Version : could i have gotten more?

lucas9000
05-10-2005, 09:21 PM
how's my line here?

the reason i didn't 3-bet after the 2nd draw was because C is a good, thinking player (a 2+2er), and i thought if i just called there he might lead out on the end and call a raise...maybe even 3-bet the end (he was showing a lot of strength check-raising me after i'd drawn one then stood pat). but the way it turned out i got the same as if i'd 3-bet and then he check-called on the end. at any rate, i'd appreciate any input.

$.25/$.50 Triple Draw 2-7

A is at seat 0 with $22.30.
B is at seat 1 with $26.20.
C is at seat 2 with $22.85.
D is at seat 3 with $23.30.
hero is at seat 4 with $12.75.
E is at seat 5 with $25.85.
The button is at seat 1.

C posts the small blind of $.10.
D posts the big blind of $.25.

hero: 7h 4c 5s 2h 4h

First Round:

hero raises to $.50. E folds. A
folds. B folds. C calls. D
calls.

C takes 2 cards. D takes 3 cards.
hero takes 1 card.

hero: 7h 4c 5s 2h 3c

Second Round:

C bets $.25. D calls. hero
raises to $.50. C calls. D calls.

C takes 1 card. D takes 1 card.
hero stands pat.

Third Round:

C checks. D checks. hero bets
$.50. C raises to $1. D folds.
hero calls.

C stands pat. hero stands pat.

Final Round:

C bets $.50. hero raises to $1.
C calls.

Tom Bayes
05-10-2005, 09:40 PM
For whatever it's worth, I was player C in this hand. Lucas is giving me too much credit for being a "thinking" player in triple draw. I rarely play the game and I'm just goofing around tonight with the pittance currently in my UB account.

I thought he played the hand well. Grrrrr....

lucas9000
05-10-2005, 09:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For whatever it's worth, I was player C in this hand. Lucas is giving me too much credit for being a "thinking" player in triple draw. I rarely play the game and I'm just goofing around tonight with the pittance currently in my UB account.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, when i use myself as comparison, it doesn't take much to be classified as a "thinking" player /images/graemlins/wink.gif

along those lines, i probably would have lost more money in your shoes. didn't you have #3?

Tom Bayes
05-10-2005, 09:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

along those lines, i probably would have lost more money in your shoes. didn't you have #3?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't save the hand history, but I think I had 76542 (#4). I know it was 765x2, not 100% positive whether I had the 4 or the 3.

MarkGritter
05-10-2005, 10:01 PM
I guess I would just straightforwardly 3-bet this after the third draw. Villian might not bet out the river, but might call and check/call for two more bets with a pat hand--- or be willing to go to war with #2-#4.

The only downside I can see is that villian might break an 8 and then fold after the last draw instead of paying an extra 1 BB. But I think most of the time you're going to get the maximum just by 3 betting. Villian simply can't fold a 7 here, and isn't going to give you a lot of action on the river if he doesn't on the turn.

Luv2DriveTT
05-11-2005, 12:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I guess I would just straightforwardly 3-bet this after the third draw. Villian might not bet out the river, but might call and check/call for two more bets with a pat hand--- or be willing to go to war with #2-#4.

[/ QUOTE ]

The number of times C will go to war vs the number of times C might fold the river after he breaks his hand tells us that Lucas played the hand perfect to extract the maximum expected value.
TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

MarkGritter
05-11-2005, 01:36 AM
I see your point, if you can be confident villian is going to lead out after the third draw.

But I'm going to be deeply suspicious when I see 2+2ers flat call a check/raise and stand pat; isn't a value bet going to be pretty thin here?

Luv2DriveTT
05-11-2005, 11:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I see your point, if you can be confident villian is going to lead out after the third draw.

But I'm going to be deeply suspicious when I see 2+2ers flat call a check/raise and stand pat; isn't a value bet going to be pretty thin here?

[/ QUOTE ]

ALL the 2+2ers I have played against (including myself in this category) are not good at TD. Yet.... /images/graemlins/smile.gif. I think the only regular poster on TD that I haven't played yet is CDC.

It doesn't matter if I am confident or not that the villain id going to lead out after the third draw, the point is if you play it the way I am recommending time and time again you will profit in the long run. Thats ALL that matters. TD is no different from any other poker game, the theories of expected value still apply.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

randomstumbl
05-11-2005, 01:43 PM
I see what your argument is, but I'm not sure I agree.

First lets look at what happens if the other player has something like a 97 and can break the 9. If you 3 bet, you get 3 bets in on the turn and some fraction of a bet in on the river when he makes an 8 or better.

When he has any hand he can't or won't break he's either putting two in on the turn and folding or 3 on the turn and one on the river. And the rare times that he has a 7 or a good 8, you can go to war on the turn and river.

There's only really one situation that is going to get more bets in. If he has something like an 86 or 85 and reads your call on the turn as a 87 or 9, you might pick up an extra bet on the river...maybe.

I guess your argument is that the player is going to break and fold a high percentage of the time. I'd have to say that's very player dependant. From my experience, most players won't break enough for this line to gain a lot of value though.