PDA

View Full Version : Passive table, CR flop/Check turn OESD occasionally a good play?

sebastian_d
05-10-2005, 08:17 PM
Passive table. Maybe I should've led out with a bet? Hmm. Anyway, I checked the flop, then thought the CR would be good to put some money in the pot and maybe finesse a check-through free card next on the turn.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (3.33 SB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>,

That's where my question is at. Is this, sparingly, a good move? My thinking is that it fills up the pot, lets me seamlessly bet if I hit, maybe gets me a free card if I miss, and might make the table less certain that my CR's are legit in the future, so they don't necessarily lay down to them. That said, I'm open to input. Thoughts?

TheHip41
05-10-2005, 08:19 PM
I'd just bet the flop. If they don't have a T, they are going to have a hard time calling a turn bet if a brick falls.

brazilio
05-10-2005, 08:22 PM
I've been debating that, but OOP I think you're way overestimating your chances of getting a free card, and this is barely an equity raise, if at all. If you are getting a free card, it's because an UI hand that's beating you is afraid of a pair. This is only a good board for a straight draw, not the best one possible as you'll have possible redraw problems if you do hit. I'm just calling here, and I think meta elements are overblown at 3/6 as well.

On the other hand, I think betting is probably a much better plan. Calling is weak and gives you no fold equity, and this is a small pot where it being 3-way to the turn is next to impossible.

Pokey
05-10-2005, 08:23 PM
It's next to impossible to buy a free card from out of position like this. If you check the turn, opponents will likely interpret this as you being afraid of the turn card. If they've got a piece of the board, they'll bet it as a matter of course. Also, any turn card that gives you a straight will be a very stealthy one, and it's highly unlikely that UTG or UTG+2 will fear a turn 3 or 8.

I think a better play here is check/call, intending to check/raise if you make your straight.

"Finesse" is for the 15/30 tables and up. At the 2/4 tables, it's only for dry, itchy scalp. Don't waste your art on these Philistines -- they don't understand their own play, much less yours. Nobody's got you figured out, and you can play straightforward winning poker and beat the donks over and over again.