PDA

View Full Version : Rock 'n Roll's Saddest Mystery

Bill Murphy
11-26-2002, 10:40 PM
Along with why Randy Rhoads decided to get on that plane w/two people he despised; from an artistic viewpoint it is for me Jimmy Page's almost complete loss of playing, writing, composing, producing, arranging, etc. abilities following the death of John Bonham.

I mean, here's one of the top ten if not top five guitarists of all time, and an underrated producer/arranger [aided mightily by John Paul Jones, of course], and in the last 22 years we've gotten collab's w/Puffy & Coverdale, the Unledded/Clarksdale abortions, the avert your eyes of the Live Aid performance, etc.

The Firm was OK, but that was mostly Paul Rodgers. Live At The Greek was pretty cool, but he was pretty well supported. I've read several interviews w/Pagey about how much Bonzo meant to him, both musically & personally, but wonder if anyone else has ideas other than booze, drugs, & age.

Saddest of all were the revelations that Bonzo & Pagey had talked about taking Zep in a much heavier direction on the followup to ITTOD; and that Bonzo's death may have been a defacto suicide, as he had lost the desire [and health] for touring, but couldn't bear to tell the others. They had planned to tour in six week chunks to accomodate Bonzo, but apparently he was privately worried he wasn't up to it.

Zep ain't my fave band, but Bonzo is by far my favorite musician. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif