PDA

View Full Version : Trinidad / Wright

MowrMowr
05-10-2005, 06:17 PM
Thoughts?

judgesmails
05-11-2005, 01:10 AM
I think the value is with Wright (+185). Trinidad looked great against Mayorga, but Mayorga just stands in front of people and throws. Wright works angles, boxes, jabs, and is naturally the bigger man. I think Tito will have trouble with him.

Tuds75
05-11-2005, 01:41 AM
I like Tito. He is the better fighter. His power will be on display again, but only in small instances because Wright has such great defense. Wright can jab, but he will have to incorporate some power punches to beat/slow down Tito.

Against Mosely Wright basically jabbed his way to a victory twice, but Wright is much bigger then Mosely so the jab was always their for him. Against Tito he will have to mix it up to keep Tito from finding his groove and then being able to zone in on Wright and start teeing off on him.

Don't Forget Tito has Don King in his corner and we all know Mr. King has a way of getting what is best for Mr. King. So Wright could actually win the fight, but Tito could steal a victory.

The best bet coming up is Kotsya Tsyzu against Ricky Hatton in a month. Take the under on the total rounds and Kotsya at +250 (which will come down once the fight is closer because it is in Hatton's home country,England, and the English love to bet on sports).

Glenn
05-11-2005, 03:08 AM
"The best bet coming up is Kotsya Tsyzu against Ricky Hatton in a month. Take the under on the total rounds and Kotsya at +250 "

Kostya is at -250 or worse, not +250. Still a great bet, IMO, but an important distinction nonetheless.

Indiana
05-11-2005, 11:52 AM
Wright will beat Tito. Go back and look at the numbers. Tito was even with De La Hoya. De La Hoya was even with Mosley. I think these three fighters are actually all pretty close to each other in quality. Now, did you see what Wright did to Mosley?

Indiana

Glenn
05-11-2005, 06:20 PM
"Tito was even with De La Hoya. De La Hoya was even with Mosley. I think these three fighters are actually all pretty close to each other in quality. Now, did you see what Wright did to Mosley?"

First of all, boxing doesn't work like that. You could just as easily say that Winky lost to Vargas, DLH beat Vargas, and Tito beat DLH. Also, Shane lost twice to Forrest who lost twice to Mayorga who was destroyed by Tito. The Mosley fights are basically irrelevant because Mosely has absolutely no power at 154 pounds, while Tito at 160 might still be the strongest puncher lb for lb in the sport. Mosely has looked weak and used up lately anyways. He fought Winky after two losses to Forrest (who beat him worse than Winky did at a weight class more beneficial to Mosely). Who else has Winky beaten? Winky's a good fighter and definitely has a shot if he sticks to a smart game plan, however Trinidad is rightfully the clear favorite due to his experience and power.

Tuds75
05-11-2005, 08:18 PM
That (+) was a misclick next to Kotsya's name. Obviously he is the favorite.

Tuds75
05-11-2005, 08:25 PM
Isn't the fight at 154? I know Tito has fought his last few at 160, but I thought I heard he wanted to fight at 154 from now on because there was the possibility for bigger paydays there.

Wright has a "cage" defense that makes it tough for him to be hit clean, but Tito is about as good a puncher in all the sport. If anyone can break the cage defense of Winky it will Tito.

Only that worries me about Tito is his weak jaw. Don't forget he has a habit of getting knocked down in his fight. He always gets up, but still the other implications a knockdown has a fight can change the course of the bout. Winky could knock Tito down and then just try to win 5 more rounds and hold on for the decision.

The Mosely Winky beat was not the same Mosely as a 5 years ago, so throw that out the window. Tito by UD, but the cards will be close.

Glenn
05-11-2005, 09:15 PM
The fight's at Middleweight (Pinnacle has it wrong--check Boxrec or HBO). The idea is that the winner will face B Hop as part of his farewell tour. You make a good point about Tito's getting knocked down constantly, but Tito is a a class above Winky so a flash knockdown shouldn't change the outcome. He's been gone for a while, but this guy has beaten Pernell, DLH, Vargas (KO), Joppy(KO), and most recently Mayorga (who he destroyed). This list includes diverse world class fighters (boxers, punchers, boxer/punchers). Winky has beaten one (possibly) used up boxer fighting a weight class or two too high. The last big puncher he faced was Vargas and he lost. He is better now than he was, but the more I think about this fight, the more I like Trinidad. The money line looks pretty accurate though, so I probably will pass. I do like Trinidad by KO/TKO/DQ +220. There are also a lot of interesting looking combination bets that could be made but I haven't looked at it enough yet.

Tuds75
05-12-2005, 12:22 AM
This post has nothing to do with betting on boxing, but with a summer LOADED with PPV fights and me without a pirate's box, I am trying to figure which PPV I should order. I am not made of $ I can't afford an extra $50-55 every month so I need to be selective. Just wondering your (Glenn) thoughts on what fight this summer would be worth the PPV money:

Wright/ Trinidad - May 14th
Mayweather/Gatti - June 6th
Hopkins/Taylor - July 18th?

I am upset I was busy last Saturday night and missed the Corrales/Castillo epic.

Still I think the best fight this summer will be Tszyu/Hatton. 2 punchers slugging it out.

Glenn
05-12-2005, 01:43 AM
Here is the upcoming schedule as far as I can tell:

5/14 (HBO PPV):

Trinidad/Wright

5/21 (HBO):

Brewster/Golota

5/28 (Showtime PPV):

JC Chavez v Ivan Robinson
JC Chavez Jr. v TBA
Carlos Hernandez v Jesus Chavez
Rafael Marquez v Ricardo Vargas

6/4 (SHO):

Tszyu/Hatton

6/11 (HBO):

Cotto v Abdullaev
Casamayor v Raiymkulov

6/11 (SHO PPV)

Tyson v McBride
Layla Ali v who cares
Shambra Mitchell v TBA

6/18 (HBO)

Johnson v Tarver

6/25 (HBO PPV):

Gatti v Mayweather

7/16 (HBO PPV?)

Hopkins v Taylor

As far as what PPV to choose--I usually don't bother with the HBO's because they are way overpriced and they put it up on "On Demand" two days later anyway. I am just getting Showtime so I don't know if they do the same. I think they also rerun it a week later usually so you can catch it without digital cable (btw, the Corrales/Castillo fight is up on On Demand now and is also being rerun fri at 11pm, so you can still catch it).

Being from NJ where we love Gatti like we love Slippery When Wet, I'd have to go with Gatti/Mayweather. That fight has the potential to be the most exciting and would carry the most regret for not seeing it as it happened. Then again Mayweather could just severely outbox him/cut him and win a boring Mayweather decision, so it's a gamble. I am actually going to that fight so my money (so, so much money) is where my mouth is.

Tszyu/Hatton should be great. Even if it's not a drawn out slugfest, it's still awesome to watch Kostya destory someone.

Most importantly, DO NOT buy the 6/11 Tyson fight. McBride is terrible, boring, and horribly slow. The worst thing that could happen is that Tyson doesn't immediately kill him, because they you might actaully die of boredom. The HBO card that day is great anyways. John Duddy is also fighting on the undercard, but I don't know if they will show it. Did you catch him on Friday Night Fights? He has a left hook like you wouldn't believe.

Tuds75
05-12-2005, 04:22 AM
Thanks Glenn,

I am in the same boat as you on those HBO PPVs. I have ordered a few of them, but that was mostly as a social thing. The price on those PPVs are going up every year. I can remember when they were $30. Now $55 to watch a fight is just getting ridiculous.

The Gatti/Mayweather fight will only be entertaining to watch if Gatti wins it or keeps it close. If Mayweather wins it will be his usually punch,punch, run style. I'm jealous your going to see it live, the atmosphere of a Gatti fight in NJ is electric. ENJOY!

Notice on my previous post I didn't include the Tyson fight on the list of possible PPV fights. I have seen McBride fight and that guy is horrible in every way. His punches are slo as molasses. A good bet is the under on rounds for that fight. I can't see it goin past the 3rd.

You didn't include the Rahman/Barrett fight in late July. This is a consilation for those, like me, who were eager for the Rahman/Klitschko fight. I really though Rahman was going to beat Vitli. Rahman fights big fighter and big punchers well (Lewis & Tua).

That Duddy kid is exciting to watch. He is just runs out from his corner and throws left hook after left hook. Hopefully his competition is a step up from his previous Friday Night Fight.

Is the Corrales/Castillo fight currently on On-Demand? or is going to be on On-Demand after this Friday's repeat?

Glenn
05-12-2005, 05:31 AM
Yeah, exactly--$50 is fine if you have some people over but when you are sitting alone/with family at home it seems like such a waste.

Gatti fights in NJ are insane. I am convinced that Gatti Ward III will be the best thing I attend in my life by a long shot--unless Gatti wins this fight, that is /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

I don't think the last guy Duddy fought was terrible, I think he was just completely overwhelmed. It's got to be tough for him to even get fights at this point. What kind of good fighter wants to risk fighting a guy who has 8 fights yet could knock him out in one round? I have a feeling that he will just be pounding on journeymen until interest builds up and other fighters can't turn down the money. It might be years before we find out if he's for real.

The C-C fight is up on On Demand right now, at least where I live (Comcast).

IronDragon1
05-14-2005, 11:50 PM
Holy hell Trinidad is getting the crap beat out of him

Glenn
05-15-2005, 12:07 AM
Thank god I bet both Wright decision and Trinidad KO /images/graemlins/smile.gif. Wow, that was something.

IronDragon1
05-15-2005, 12:18 AM
*Patiently waits for Hopkins/Wright*

Tuds75
05-15-2005, 12:51 AM
No so fast. The Executioner has a tall task ahead in Jermain Taylor in July.

Man, This is an impressive win for Winky.

If Wright/Hopkins happens that is going to be on of the borinest fights. Though evenly matched and hyped, both men just like to feel their opponet out to much. They both are the type of fighters who like to win rounds and don't care if they are fighting "pretty" or not. I would bet if those 2 fought we wouldn't see a landed combination until the 5th round. All one punch from a distance.

Winky vs. Tito, sounds like 2 geeks battling at D&D not a boxing match.

Indiana
05-16-2005, 10:59 AM
Tried to tell u guys it was easy $ last week. All i got was criticism about my "transitivity" arguments. I have been living boxing for my entire life and I feel that I am the best boxing handicapper around.

Indiana

RaDiCaLReeD
05-16-2005, 11:24 AM
very nice ... keep up the picks!