PDA

View Full Version : favorite bands and their best 3 solos

asofel
05-10-2005, 05:59 PM
I've been listening to a lot of Floyd today and heard some incredible solos on songs I had never listened to before. This got me thinking about all the potential solos I've missed. Again, this isn't necessarily their best, but ones that you should know if you like the band at all, or enjoy great guitar.

To start things off:

Led Zeppelin: Achilles Last Stand, Thank You (electric version)

Pink Floyd: On The Turning Away, One of These Days (live/delicate sound of thunder), Shine On You Crazy Diamond (live/delicate sound of thunder)

Allman Brothers: Pegasus, In Memory of Elizabeth Reed (live/fillmore), Don't Keep Me Wonderin (live/beacon 2004 dvd)

Derek and the Dominoes: Why Does Love Got To Be So Sad, Key To The Highway, Little Wing (remastered version's best)

Guns N' Roses: Estranged

Stevie Ray Vaughn: Little Wing, Cold Shot

Some of these are well known, others I hadn't heard of at one point. I'm hoping to find some new songs from various artists, or new versions to ones I already know. Feel free to add some of your favorites.

istewart
05-10-2005, 06:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Derek and the Dominoes: Little Wing (remastered version's best)

[/ QUOTE ]

Very nice.

You could talk for years about Zeppelin solos. Pretty pointless IMHO /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Trite, but I will always think "Comfortably Numb" has Floyd's best solo.

Macdaddy Warsaw
05-10-2005, 06:06 PM
I'm gonna be boring and say Built to Spill for all 3 songs. Let's say...I Would Hurt a Fly, Carry the Zero, and Cortez the Killer (this may not count as it' a Neil Young cover).

istewart
05-10-2005, 06:06 PM
Joe Satriani - Chords of Life
Joe Satriani - Crushing Day

These are both very sick if you were looking for a recommendation.

slickpoppa
05-10-2005, 06:07 PM
I'm not sure about my favorite, but Hendrix's Star Spangled Banner at Woodstock was pretty badass

Willluck
05-10-2005, 06:10 PM
Check out Frank Zappa- Muffin Man, and I am the slime

slickpoppa
05-10-2005, 06:17 PM
this solo isn't that great, but it is kinda cool to watch: (may take a minute) link (http://www.muchosucko.com/video-speedkills.html)

Uston
05-10-2005, 06:31 PM
I've always thought that AC/DC's 'You Shook Me All Night' had the perfect rock guitar solo. It's not particularly difficult (except for the vibrato, anyone with the ability to run through their pentatonic scales would be able to learn it pretty quickly). Great timing. No wasted notes. Best AY solo ever.

asofel
05-10-2005, 06:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
this solo isn't that great, but it is kinda cool to watch: (may take a minute) link (http://www.muchosucko.com/video-speedkills.html)

[/ QUOTE ]

yea i know what you mean....if you like this you have to check out Buckethead. i don't have any vids online, but he can play fast like this, but also slows it down on some albums, gets slightly bluesy, lil funk......good stuff.

asofel
05-10-2005, 06:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Derek and the Dominoes: Little Wing (remastered version's best)

[/ QUOTE ]

Very nice.

You could talk for years about Zeppelin solos. Pretty pointless IMHO /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Trite, but I will always think "Comfortably Numb" has Floyd's best solo.

[/ QUOTE ]

nah not trite, I agree with you. I think Comfortably Numb was voted THE best solo of all time. It really is amazing.

Macdaddy Warsaw
05-10-2005, 06:51 PM
Just because I want to be annoying, I'm posting a link to a live rendition of Cortez the Killer. I just want to show off my man Doug Martsch's technical prowess and his ability to just go off on a jam for 10 minutes. It's a twenty minute long song, and the file size is pretty big too, obviously. Just try it out though.

Also, I think this recording has 4 guitars in it, not including any bass guitars. Doug likes to bring the opening act guitarists back on to jam. It's pretty cool.

Built to Spill - Cortez the Killer (http://www.amherst.edu/~mogrodowicz/ok/Cortez.mp3)

asofel
05-10-2005, 06:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Check out Frank Zappa- Muffin Man, and I am the slime

[/ QUOTE ]

my brother mentioned the gumbo variations to me...i'll have to check out all of these it seems...

asofel
05-10-2005, 06:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just because I want to be annoying, I'm posting a link to a live rendition of Cortez the Killer. I just want to show off my man Doug Martsch's technical prowess and his ability to just go off on a jam for 10 minutes. It's a twenty minute long song, and the file size is pretty big too, obviously. Just try it out though.

Also, I think this recording has 4 guitars in it, not including any bass guitars. Doug likes to bring the opening act guitarists back on to jam. It's pretty cool.

Built to Spill - Cortez the Killer (http://www.amherst.edu/~mogrodowicz/ok/Cortez.mp3)

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, nice...i don't want to host it on a work server, but i have an mp3 of my lil bro playin cortez as well...i'll have to send it to you somehow...

the song sounds great so far...

daryn
05-10-2005, 07:01 PM
oh man, estranged is awesome, but what about you could be mine? that is a kickass solo

asofel
05-10-2005, 07:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
oh man, estranged is awesome, but what about you could be mine? that is a kickass solo

[/ QUOTE ]

I had never heard estranged until about 6 months ago...one thing I still have to thank my ex for...

and i'll have to admit..i can't recall the solo in you could be mine....but that was the idea behind the thread, so thanks daryn......

now to get my brother to learn estranged.....

MoreWineII
05-10-2005, 07:27 PM
Ashlee Simpson did some live stuff on SNl that blew my mind.

touchfaith
05-10-2005, 07:32 PM
It's all about RUSH.

Nothing compares (IMO) to a Neil Peart drum solo...

I remember once in 87 or so when RUSH played the Cow Palace. Neil had 2 sets configured back to back as he typically will do since many of the older songs required the roto-toms, chimes and stuff like that, while most of his newer stuff uses a much different set...

So get this...Neil, in the middle of his solo (that must have been a good 15 mins easy), but right in the middle, Neil tosses his stick wayyyy up into the air...

Meanwhile...The set rotates around him to reveal the other set...

Neil sits back down, just as the stick is coming back down... he catches it and then continues on with the solo as the croud goes absolutely ape-[censored]-bananas.

As for Geddy, if you've ever seen RUSH life, then you know what happens when Freewill is played. As it is, if you listen closly to the studio version, you will hear one of the greatest bass licks you will ever encounter....

It's ten fold better live. He simply goes nuts and it is amazing. To think that he can carry those riffs while singing the complex and timing dependant lyrics of RUSH is all that more amazing.

And for Alex....Well...Alex is probably the first to admit that he is not one of the greatest electric players of alltime...but...If you've ever heard him play the classical accoustic, you know what the man is made of.

Listen to "Mood for the day" sometime. It is all Alex, all accoustic and is one of my favorites solo instrumentals of all time. Also...When he plays "The Trees" live...it gets very fun, very fast....such a great song.

Oh, also...If you are looking for a pure instrumental, "La Villa Strangiato (An exercise in Self-Indulgence)" (Live) is 14 mins of the most intense music you will ever hear.

istewart
05-10-2005, 07:36 PM
2112, indeed, good sir.

CallMeIshmael
05-10-2005, 07:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Comfortably Numb"

[/ QUOTE ]

EDIT: also.. Istewart... do you still want the decemberists album?

jason_t
05-10-2005, 08:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"Comfortably Numb"

[/ QUOTE ]

EDIT: also.. Istewart... do you still want the decemberists album?

[/ QUOTE ]

What about me?

CCass
05-10-2005, 11:01 PM
One of these days, I'm going to cut you into little pieces!!!

miajag81
05-10-2005, 11:12 PM
I don't know how you can mention two songs from Delicate Sound of Thunder and not have one of them be Comfortably Numb. That is probably the best solo I've ever heard. It kicks the crap out of the one on Pulse. NH on mentioning Thank You from BBC Sessions though...awesome

blaze666
05-11-2005, 01:36 AM
i hate buckethead.i haven't actually heard any of his stuff, but still, i hate him, for the sheer cheek of stealing slash's spot. and then (i hear) not doing a very good job of it! the fool! it's like sacralidge. not much of a challenge to the mighty slash though. ok, here are my favourite guitar solo's (in no order)

slash- g n r -sweet child of mine
joe perry- aerosmith -dude looks like a lady
that guy from deep purple -deep purple -lazy
mark knopfer- dire straits -sultans of swing
slash at the 1995 MTV music awards with micheal jackson, where he goes on for ages, and MJ gets a security guard, who slash tells to go away in his solo, it's awesome IF ANYONE COULD GET HOLD OF THIS FOOTAGE, TELL ME WHERE PLEEEEEASE!!!!!!!!

yeah, slash rulz.

TripleH68
05-11-2005, 01:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
joe perry- aerosmith -

[/ QUOTE ]

Train Kept Rollin'

Boris
05-11-2005, 02:35 AM
so i guess you already have a mullet?

hmohnphd
05-11-2005, 02:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Listen to "Mood for the day" sometime. It is all Alex, all accoustic and is one of my favorites solo instrumentals of all time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure you are confusing this with the instrumental "Mood for a Day" on the album Fragile by Yes, guitar played by Steve Howe.

touchfaith
05-11-2005, 02:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Listen to "Mood for the day" sometime. It is all Alex, all accoustic and is one of my favorites solo instrumentals of all time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure you are confusing this with the instrumental "Mood for a Day" on the album Fragile by Yes, guitar played by Steve Howe.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, exactely right...What was the damn Lifeson solo I was thinking of???? Crap, now it's going to drive me nuts...

Sad part is...I saw Howe play that life too and forgot...

hmohnphd
05-11-2005, 03:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
LOL, exactely right...What was the damn Lifeson solo I was thinking of???? Crap, now it's going to drive me nuts...

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Hmm, you thinking of "Broon's Bane"? That's a pretty good one from one of Rush's live albums, don't know which one though.

pheasant tail (no 18)
05-11-2005, 03:59 AM
All the best solos are always live. Only some of them have been released.

Some old school choices for the young (I am learning about some new school ones from y'all).

A lot of people are mentioning Cortez the Killer by Built to Spill. I have not heard this. But I can say any Neil Young/Crazy horse live is gonna have awesome raw guitar work.

Speaking of Neil. This is a bit archaic, but on the CSN&Y live album "Four Way Street", the song "Southern Man" has some of the best R&R guitar work ever. There is a guitar duet btw. Neil and Stills that lasts about 8 that is total angry dialogue. Just trading solos which are just angry remarks. PErfect collaboration, not just one wanker playin' fast to a rythem section.

No wonder Skynard didn't need them around.

The guitar and Piano work on the song "Kitty's Back" from Springsteen's '73 and '74 tours is unbeleivable. I especially reccomend a "My father's Place" show from '73. Savy downloaders should be able to find it. Just sick and raw.

Down load a live copy of "Scarlet Begonias" and "Fire on the Mountain" played consecutively by the Grateful Dead Just about any performance is gonna be top ten. I particularly like the one from Hapton '86.

If this is not exclusively about Rock and Roll, you might want to check out the Tony Rice Album "Manzanita". It has almost the whos who of high octane bluegrass masters. All solos are stellar and high energy. David Grismon, Tony Rice, Sam Bush, Ricky Skaggs, MArk O'Connor--it's sick. The title track is my nomination. Most Bluegrass, BTW, is about solos.

PT

UncleRemus
05-11-2005, 04:12 AM
Steve Howe is amazing, but the best solos from Yes are courtesy of Rick Wakeman. I was blown away the first time I heard the keyboard solo 15 minutes into Close to the Edge.

..He's still second to Keith Emerson, though...

zephed56
05-11-2005, 05:16 AM
Whole Lotta Love-I was absolutely floored when I first heard this solo. I had been a pop music listening child until this moment. It's been all rock 'n' roll and loud bloozy guitars since then.

Thank You from BBC sessions-It's powerful.

Another Brick...part II-I know it's a very popular song but he does a good job with this solo. It's not technically difficult but is well written.

Jimi Hendrix Driving South-It's not a solo, but an instrumental jam with the guitar leading the way. Thought I'd include this since it's hard to get, not many people have heard it.

I'll have to check out some of the other suggestions.

New001
05-11-2005, 05:45 AM
You can't include Stevie Ray and not mention Leave My Girl Alone. The live version from Austin City Limits (?) is incredible. That, The Sky is Crying, and Little Wing are his best in my opinion.

bernie
05-11-2005, 06:42 AM
There's so many.

Some that come to mind:

Hendrix: South Saturn Delta. Made me pull over in my van to listen to it. It's a newer CD that was released.

Dokken: The hunter. Mr scary is cool.

EVH: One foot out the door. Eddie at his angriest.

Randy Rhoads: Crazy Train: No other solo would fit this song.

Jake E Lee: Anything off the first badlands album. They all jam.

ZZ top: Fool for your stockings: Nice slow groove.

Mountain: Theme for an imaginery western.

Thin Lizzy: I am just a cowboy

Scorpions: 6 string sting

Bachman Turner Overdrive: Flatbroke love, Freewheelin', Not fragile

Deep Purple: Highway Star + many others.

James Gang: Stop

Rush: Workin' man, Passage to bangkok

Satch: Summer song

Too many others to list. There's a ton of 70s guitar rock that just jams.

Honorable mention because I can't remember the names of the tunes: Blue Oyster Cult (buck dharma) <Im not thinking of don't fear the reaper, but other tunes>

b

Edit: Almost forgot. One of the best 12 string solos I ever saw/heard was Stevie Ray Vaughn. I think it was an MTV special or something. I've yet to see anyone play a 12 string like that since. It was just him on a stool, burning the frets off the neck.

DeathbySuckout
05-11-2005, 07:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Stevie Ray - Little Wing

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my favorite guitar based song. I tried to learn it one time, and after a couple hours I said "F THAT".

Also, any old punks might remember a band called Scatterbrain doing their version of Sonata #3, which was pretty fun to listen to.

asofel
05-11-2005, 10:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
One of these days, I'm going to cut you into little pieces!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

hehe, excellent. damn good song...

asofel
05-11-2005, 10:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know how you can mention two songs from Delicate Sound of Thunder and not have one of them be Comfortably Numb. That is probably the best solo I've ever heard. It kicks the crap out of the one on Pulse. NH on mentioning Thank You from BBC Sessions though...awesome

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't own the album, so I've just listend to a coworkers copy. i'll see if he's got that mp3 around somewhere...i'm sure its amazing...thx for the reminder...

listening now.....yeah....damn f'ing good....

asofel
05-11-2005, 10:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
so i guess you already have a mullet?

[/ QUOTE ]

lmao...nah, but i could grow an afro...

asofel
05-11-2005, 10:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You can't include Stevie Ray and not mention Leave My Girl Alone. The live version from Austin City Limits (?) is incredible. That, The Sky is Crying, and Little Wing are his best in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

i can because i'm not nearly a good enough fan to know his music that incluslively...but i'll let you enlighten me...off to check it out...

asofel
05-11-2005, 10:46 AM
nice list....looks like i'm getting a lot of work done today...

asofel
05-11-2005, 10:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i hate buckethead.i haven't actually heard any of his stuff, but still, i hate him, for the sheer cheek of stealing slash's spot. and then (i hear) not doing a very good job of it! the fool! it's like sacralidge.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahaha...he's definitely no replacement for slash, but he's an incredible guitarist in his own right... the fact that they chose him over so many others to even try and fill slash's shoes means something...you should definitely check him out tho, he's got a wide range of great stuff...i have a video of him playing the solo on night train, and no its not slash, but its still pretty cool....

blaze666
05-11-2005, 01:14 PM
thanks. i got it, and it rocks.